Thread: Want New Gun-Need Ideas

SteelerNation

Want New Gun-Need Ideas

Hi Guys:

I have a Savage 12 FTR that I really enjoy shooting. I had an idea to pick up another rifle for working on my technique in shooting tight groups.

I want:

1. Bolt action
    2. Bull barrel
    3. .17 HMR or Hornet
    4. A 'Nice' Wood stock that I can bed (don't want polymer, really), or is pillar bedded from the factory
    5. Doesn't feel like a 'toy' in my hand...i.e. has some beef to it (maybe weigh 7-8 lbs at least)
    6. Use strictly for punching holes in paper at 100-300 yard MAX, but mostly 100 yards
    (PS) 7.Oh...I may be willing to go up to .223 chambering too. I'm reloading soon so I'd be willing to consider that.

Came up with a decision between a Savage (model...?), Ruger 77/17, Marlin, Browning T bolt, Remmy 700 (in stated caliber).

I just want some ideas from you guys. Maybe some of you own one of the models I'm looking at.....

My Price range is about 700$ or under.

I'm open to suggestions!

PS. I'm going to scope it too....

Thanks,

Mike
    Last edited by SteelerNation; 04-09-2015 at 01:08 PM.

Basic Member
    Did the same thing myself about 4 months ago, I picked a Savage 93R17 BV with the Wood laminate stock from Palmetto State Armory. The original goal was to use this rifle as a trainer gun to practice positional shooting and marksmanship fundamentals which I do, but it has ended up being a real pleasure to shoot, is very accurate and ammo is not to expensive either. So now I am planning on taking it out on some rabbit/squirrel hunts here in Kentucky. Hell, maybe I will knab a coyote!!

The 17 Hornet was on the list as well, but the 93 was just to good of deal to pass up at the holidays. Now I hear the 17 Hornet in Walking Varmiter comes with a $50.00 rebate so it may be worth it if you can find one on clearance.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Team Savage
    steeler,,,,,,,i have the bv model 93 in 17hmr ,,i really like it ,,,,, if i got another i would get the brj,,,,i think the comb on the stock may be higher,,,,better cheek weld, ,,,,and it has a rubber butt pad that wont slip around on your shoulder,,,,,the hummer is the only way to go, ammo everywhere,,,,,,,,ive NEVER seen 17 hornet on a store shelf,,,,,, good luck

JCalhoun
    I have the .22lr version of the BRJ. I think a .17HMR version of it would make a great trainer.