Thread: Savage Hog Hunter .308 build help

Basic Member

Savage Hog Hunter .308 build help

Well here goes,
    I have a Hog Hunter model 11 with accu-trigger in 308 that i am looking to make into a hybrid hunting/target type rifle that will mostly see use hog hunting at my ranch at ranges from 100 out to 500 yards.
    Currently the rifle is set up with dnz one piece scope mount, muzzle brake, and Nikon prostaff bdc 3-9×40.

My next upgrades will definitely be a new stock but, I cannot make up my mind on model etc. I really like the Bell and carlson medalist varmit tactical but i plan on converting to CDI's detachable mag conversion and between the stock and bottom metal will be right at $600, which honestly is more than I am willing to spend for what it is.
    Does anyone have any experience with more affordable stocks such as boyds and the like? Also if anyone has any recommendations or cheaper detachable mag conversions or a place to get magazines cheaper would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Pacific tool and gauge, has a "Stealth" detach mag system that is much more affordable.
    As to the stock, it depends on what you really want. I like Boyds stocks for my hunting rifles. Painless gets shot prone to extreme distance, but I do carry it deer hunting. That wears a Choate Ultimate Sniper; but most people are to soft to carry something heavy from the car to kitchen; let alone section line to section line.

Best wishes finding something you like,

Cheers
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

I put the B&C Medalist/Varmint stock on my Hog Hunter. The stock and scope took the gun from a 7 ½ pound gun to a 12 pound gun. Great for target shooting, but it might be a bit much if you want to carry it around on a hunt.
    Gary...Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo

Basic Member
    Thanks for the input guys.
    I ended up buying the choate tactical and kind of wish i would have just sucked it up and bought the b&c. What was planned as my budget build is quickly getting out of hand after seeing how neat all of yalls rifles are. It might end up as just a hog hunter action :\