Thread: 6.5x55 OR 6.5x284 Norma ?

Basic Member

6.5x55 OR 6.5x284 Norma ?

Quick question:
    6.5x55 OR 6.5x284?
    I've got a McGowen barrel on order in 6.5x55, but I have the chance to buy the same spec barrel in x284 cheap.
    I really don't want to shell out for 2 different sets of brass & dies. The extra cost of dies & brass would push the cost of the 284 over what I'll be spending on the 55, BUT I also don't have the 55 dies yet either.....
    The 55 barrel won't be here for about 4 months, the 284 I could pick up this weekend. I know that one gives nothing to the other, accuracy wise, but Swede brass is cheaper. Is barrel life much different?

Should I cancel the 55 & just buy the 284?
    Should I be patient & stick with the Swede?
    Should I jump in with both feet & buy both?

What would you do?

Basic Member
    Have you seen this? http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...rion-6-5-swede If its the instant gratification thing (which I completely understand) this might be an option. I have this same barrel on my Swede and couldn't be happier. From what I've read, barrel life would be shorter with the .284. But if you push the Swede to the 3000 fps range like some folks have, there may not be a huge difference.

Basic Member
    For some reason I don't have permission to access the link.
    Is there any chance you could copy & paste it please?

Basic Member
    Never mind!
    It's about time I subscribed.....

I think a lot of the barrel burning issues with the 6.5-284 have to do with the case design more than anything, shoulder angles and neck length are the main culprits. That being said if you are not planning on shooting long strings of fire the 6.5-284 will last just about as long as any of them. Given that the swede will produce velocities of 2900+ with a little less powder and a lot cheaper components its the one that gets my vote. I know it doesn't scratch that right now itch but I don't think you gain much if anything by going with the 284. Low cost high quality brass cheaper dies and better barrel life is a big positive for the swede. But on the other hand a guy can never have enough 6.5s they are just sweet.

RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    Holy catfish! Thanks for that, just got an order in :)

Good. Have shot a lot of Swedes over the years, M96 and bolt actions, the Lapua brass is outstanding. You will have to use a RCBS #3 Die because the Lapua brass has a wee bit larger head diameter than Winchester or Remington brass....use can use a #2 on those. Personally, if I were going to build the 6.5x55 the barrel listed below would be sold. Very fair price and CBI makes a very good barrel.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...rion-6-5-swede

I have a CBI Swede and can push 140 Amax to 2900fps with no problem while staying under 1" at 200 yds. Nice cartridge!
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    Dean dont let the secret out! then i wont be able to find any more brass!!! LOL

Basic Member
    Looks like the CBI barrel in the classifieds is SPF. Jim at Northland might have one in stock if you want to put that shiny new brass to use.

anytym
    Had a 6.5x55 sweed 96 that was worked over and it was good, along with a bunch (200) of norma brass that i acquired really cheap. It was a great little rifle. It is not a real long range rifle that the 6.5x284 norma is. That caliber has been winning 1000 yd matches for quite awhile. I have mine in a very accurate 26" t/c barrel. But i would like to put a barrel on my 6br lrpv. Have the dies and brass so the only cost will be the barrel and having my smith install it. He took my 12 bvss 22-250 and made an ackley out of it, than tricked it out like a project gun in the varmint hunter mag. Shoots really tight group and really hard on prairie dogs.
    The 6.5 284 barrel will be threaded for a suppressor which i already have for that caliber. It will be for long range coyote shooting, not for paper. The barrel will be good for my lifetime and then some. I will want a 71/2 twist barrel if i can get it since i will need it in cold weather.
    p.s. The 6.5x55 killed coyotes too.

Basic Member
    Well sure a 96 Mauser action won't compare to a 284 if you shoot the mild loads for those actions. There are guys getting pretty dang close to 284 performance in modern actions and barrels though. The fact nobody shoots it in real competition in the US is part of the allure.

Basic Member
    Maybe a really dumb question...... But I dont know so Im gonna ask....

How are you getting 2900 our of a Sweede with a 140 grain bullet. I am only getting about 2700. Now that is out of a Tikka with a 24 inch barrel so that may be some of it. But the darn rifle is sure a sweet shooter.

Any load info would be awesome

Ryan
    MOAON AABE

It's Easy to get 2900fps + with a 140gr, stuff as much RL22, Win780, or 4831sc that you can stuff in that case, somewhere around 50gr plus easy as 3.1415, as always start lower and work your way up.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.