Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unable to chamber once fired brass

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyLB View Post
    No. A Herters FL resizing die is a special animal. So far as I know it's the only die that requires a shellholder that is made for it. Otherwise, cross utilization of shell holders and dies shouldn't be a problem.
    Herter's dies are the same as any other dies. The only thing that requires a Herter's shell holder is a Herter's press.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

SparkyLB
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Herter's dies are the same as any other dies. The only thing that requires a Herter's shell holder is a Herter's press.
    Thanks Fred. I suppose I don't know what my issue was then. Whatever it was, FL resizing with a different die did the trick.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MS50 View Post
    It's still a mystery to me why cases that will fit a headspace gauge won't chamber.
    Don't know why that is a mystery. The gauge is just another chamber and the two chambers are cut with different reamers. What you are calling a headspace gauge is a "case gauge". A headspace gauge is what is used to set the headspace of a barrel to the action and bolt. Just wanted to clarify that little bit of information.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Team Savage
    Thanks earl39. You're not the first nor the last who will tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. The Lyman packaging labels it a Case Length Headspace Gauge. Looks like they covered all their bases. I will chalk up my problems to factory chambers. I'm happy they shoot as well as they do. When I do a custom build in the future I will hopefully have worked out the kinks in my knowledge base. I should be able to proceed with confidence. Thanks again.

Basic Member
    MS50 maybe you should read the instructions for the Redding gauge as it may be a little more detailed than the Lyman. Both do the same thing the same way just different directions. Might give you a new angle to look at for what is going on. Also i did not notice if you have tried factory ammo and had the same problem. If you have and there is no problem it would point to the reloads and if the same problem was there it would tend to point to the weapon.

Went back thru and saw where you tried cheap factory ammo. Can you get your hands on a couple of rounds of Remington or Winchester factory hunting ammo? Ultramax from what few i have tried tend to run a bit toward the warm side.
    Last edited by earl39; 04-07-2015 at 12:29 PM. Reason: added info
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Team Savage
    Yes, I tried factory ammo. Post #21. Looks like it's the chamber. The same for my 12FCV. It will be FL sizing for these two rifles.

Basic Member
    Did your cartridge length increase after firing? It could be you need to re-trim your brass after fire forming, and bumping back the shoulder.

Team Savage
    Yes I did re-trim. I measured quite a few and some had increased in length. Others I dropped into a Lyman case length gauge and if it tapped the table, I trimmed. In the end I trimmed them all with the Lee quick trim die and a rechargeable screwdriver. Too much work to measure them all. I reloaded the 308 and 223 cases, checked them in the Lyman gauge, and checked quite a few in the rifle chambers. All is fine now. I will stick with FL sizing. I will revisit the neck sizing issue when I learn more about it. As I said, I'm not that concerned about accuracy. They're very accurate for my purposes. I would like to extend case life, so it will be a future project. Thanks.

Basic Member
    Neck sizing will NOT increase case life.

Team Savage
    I've wondered whether there's a real difference in case life with neck sizing. I would think that annealing is part of the life extension picture. If I don't anneal, am I really gaining anything? I intend to learn more about proper FL sizing as well. I may be oversizing, but I'm not sure. I gradually worked up (or down ) to a size that would fit both a case gauge and chamber. I still wonder if I'm not overdoing it. It feels like I may have too much cam-over. Not enough cam-over has gotten me into trouble as well. Thanks.

Basic Member
    You need a case comparator to find out how much you are bumping the shoulder back. When you figure that out, find a shellholder that mates to the die that will bump the shoulder about .002".

Team Savage
    I think you're talking about a headspace gauge comparator. I have the Hornady Lock&Load bullet comparator, which has made my life a lot easier when loading Game Kings. I can measure to the ogive. Any thoughts on Hornady vs Redding headspace comparators? I have the digital calipers. It looks like the difference is the Redding includes a dial gauge with their kits. Are you saying it's trial and error to find a shellholder to match the die I am using to resize? I currently use the sizing die from a RCBS die set. I will also YouTube this issue to see if I can fill in a few blanks, and stop kicking a dead mule.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MS50 View Post
    With the exception of glass bedding the rifle is factory. I looked at the Win brass. On a lot of the cases there is a scratch extending down the body about 5mm. It starts where the shoulder meets the body. I can't say that I see it on the LC brass. I suppose that the scratch could've been caused by my screwing around chambering and unchambering empty cases. I don't have any brand new Win cases as I've FL sized and trimmed everything I have. I don't know what a pristine case looks like.
    Once upon a time, I had the "scratch" issue with an Interarms Whitworth in 375 H & H. Turned out to be a check in the chamber from a bad reamer during the manufacturing process. That would be unusual with Savage, but could be worth a phone call to customer service. Another unusual occurrence (but worth checking) might be the depth of the scope base mounting screws.
    Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
    NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Neck sizing will NOT increase case life.
    Fred I dare you to post that on accurate shooter,LOL I get slaughtered for some of my ideas because some do not understand physics etc. All neck sizing does is make a case hard to chamber if you do it all the time. Hunting rifles require full length sizing for smooth operation along with safety. Most guys shooting PPC's with a tight neck chamber full length resize everytime. Guess what, The bolt closes nice and smooth and shoulder bump is the same all the time. We also anneal quite often as well to get long life from our lapua brass.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    Buy a Headspace Comparator for your Hornady, measure cases that fit your chamber, write it down as a spec to meet when you load.

Team Savage
    I intend to order the Hornady bushings today. Then I will form cases that fit my chamber, and not the Lyman case length gauge. Already figured out that the case length is only part of the equation. Thanks CharlieNC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12