Thread: Nosler Lubalox

Basic Member

Nosler Lubalox

Does anyone out there have any experience with these bullets? This coating show any fouling or decreased performance in accuracy or velocity, of any notable value? Anything that should be noted or taken into consideration before loading?

Berger.Fan222
    I've had good results with accuracy and velocity, but I doubt there is much real lubrication happening.

I tried not to go back and forth between lubalox and other coatings or uncoated bullets.

Yukon21
    I've been loading these in .243, .22-250, 300 Savage, 30-06, 300 WSM.......they are a great bullet, some times I shoot up to 80 thru one rifle, haven't noticed a build up of coating. don't confuse this coating with the moly coated bullets. this is a lube not a true coating like the moly, where you either love them or hate them. Have been loading these for about 8 years now, and it is my go to bullet especially for whitetail and coyote. It is not a fur friendly bullet, there are other fur friendly bullets out there, but will drop a whitetail almost instantly. Legs buckle under them.

Basic Member
    I've been loading the Nosler C/T's lubalox/Lubaloy about since they came out. When I am working up a load it's the bullet that I use to get started, it shoots pretty good in everything that I've tried it in. Thats not to say it's always the most accurate in every rifle but it is very consistant. It's also an excellent hunting bullet. I've never noticed any kind of buildup or fouling from the Lubaloy coating. Right now I'm shooting it in most anything from .257 to 300 Ultra Mag including a wildcat that I'm working up loads for now. Paul

This is where it comes from, if you want the promotional fluff.
    http://clevelandblackoxide.com/case-studies
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Thanks Darkker, I always thought it was a propritary coating from Olin/Winchester. I'd like to see it used on some other bullets. Pistol bullets, .44, .452, .501, .357 come to mind off the top of my head. It also seems that it would be a good lubeless coating for the civilian market. It would be real nice if consumers could apply it themselves. Thanks again. Paul

n4ue
    Hi. A couple of years I found how out David Tubb had switched to HBN coated bullets. I had been using WS2 (not Moly) like he was doing and although I loved the results, it is VERY messy, due to the small particle size.
    HBN is used in the space program. I looks like fluffy, powered sugar, and so do the bullets after coating.
    I switched to HBN and I won't ever shoot another naked rifle bullet. I also treat the bore. I have done the last 8 new Axis rifles this way, 3 of which are the HB models which I have rechambered to the AI version (223, 22-250, 243). With a trigger job, these rifles shoot as well as my high $ M700s and M77s.......
    I build a small machine that can process 25 to 100 bullets at a time (caliber related). It's automated and easy.

There is a lot of info out there and you'll find some great info on 6mmbr.com.....

ron