Thread: Change of course...

BarrelNuts

Change of course...

So; earlier I posted I had settled on a .26 Nosler build; after another round of analysis and perusing the cost of ammo decided that the extra muzzle velocity and novelty weren't worth paying 2x as much per trigger pull. Feel free to laud the "I told you so's" as you see fit.

Good news is whilst purchasing some primers and various other items for the .25-06 I stumbled across a used model 10 in .243 for a pretty sweet deal so... I now have a donor rifle in hand!

Just wanted to do a quick run-down of my plans for a sanity check from the crowd who has done this before; please comment on whatever I'm missing or overlooking or things that in your experiences are going to be incompatible

-Since the donor is in .243 I can keep the same bolt face and have the option of sticking with .234 or going with a .260 Rem, .308, .7mm-08 and a few others; right now I'm between the .7mm-08 and the .260... Barrel will be one of last items ordered to give me a few extra days to mull that choice over before ordering (narrowing down barrel choices is another bag of worms too: Criterion and Shilen are currently the top runners)

-Going to replace the factory lug and barrel nut with a heavy-duty set

-Keeping factory accu-trigger

And here is where I need a good bit of help... the original stock was the cheapo hollow plastic with a blind magazine and I want the new build to have a DBM. I've been looking at stock options and bottom metal... from my research I am trying to decide between going with the factory bottom metal/DBM (not the axis-style) or something like the Accurate-Mag set up here: http://store.accurate-mag.com/savage...mmetalkit.aspx . The problem I have is I'd like to keep the rifle as much a "hunting" rifle as possible and less of a benchrest/bipod baby (primary use is going to be deer from ground blind or tree stand) and I don't want any excess magazine sticking out the bottom if I can help it. Also... trying to find a composite stock that fits the bill; pointers in the right direction will be appreciated.

So... I'll need a go/no go for the caliber chosen, barrel wrench, stock, bottom metal and magazine, lug and barrel nut, and barrel. May replace bolt handle... may not... all up in the air still. I do have bedding material and loctite... anything else I need?

Yes your bolt head will work with any cartridge based on a .473 bolt head. The 7-08 is one of my favorites as well as the .260 but it depends what you are doing with it. As far as sticking with factory premium bottom metal and not using the axis style mags sounds like a plan to me. What style barrel are you using, sporter, magnum sporter or light varmint. Both barrels you mention are good choices for your application.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    You have the correct bolt head and mag for your short action project. I would build a 6.5 Creedmoor with that setup. I have a 7-08 that I swap a .243 barrel with most years. It is a 7-08 during deer season that becomes a .243 for coyotes the rest of the year.

LongRange
    id go 260,24" shilen select match S4 or S7 tactical chamber in a B&C varmint/tactical and wouldnt worry about bedding until after you shoot it.

BarrelNuts
    LongRange... you aren't far off from what I'm looking at right now:

.260 chambered 26" Shilen Sel. Match SS in S7/Varmint contour, Bell & Carlson Medalist M40 Style is what my current leanings are...

For the group does anyone know where I can find factory/OE bottom metal for a mod. 10 DBM with the side bolt release? I can't locate on Savage's website without a Serial; and the serial of mine doesn't work since it came from the factory as a blind mag...

Quote Originally Posted by BarrelNuts View Post
    For the group does anyone know where I can find factory/OE bottom metal for a mod. 10 DBM with the side bolt release? I can't locate on Savage's website without a Serial; and the serial of mine doesn't work since it came from the factory as a blind mag...
    Im assuming you mean top bolt release....
    Part numbers are in this thread near the bottom
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...unter-XP-owner
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

BarrelNuts
    Hotolds... thanks for the information, greatly appreciated. From what I've read all I will need now is a bottom plate for the "box" that is already in the stock from the donor rifle correct?

Correct.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

BarrelNuts
    Just an update wanted to say thanks for the information... build is in progress; if you want to follow along I'm doing step-by-step as I complete parts of the build.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...m-step-by-step