Thread: bell and carlson barrel channel [pics]

Basic Member

bell and carlson barrel channel [pics]

Soooo,
    I got my choate tactical stock in today for my m11 hog hunter and lets just say I was not pleased. The tang did not fit flush with the stock, so much so that I could see the most rearward spring on the trigger assembly. The barrel channel was so large i could fit my finger between the barrel and stock. I researched and found that all savage action tangs do not touch so its not just me lol.

Anywho I am returning the stock and wanting to get a bell and carlson medalist.
    Does anyone have that model on a hog hunter and if so how was the fitment overall especially in the barrel channel compared to the choate?
    Here are some pics of the choate
    Thanks fellas

Sorry you're not happy with the stock, but just to let ya know, the stock isnt made wrong or anything....the tang needs to float on a savage.....has to do with how/ where the rear action screw holds the action. The barrel channel on the choates is made to hold up to a 1.25in barrel, thats the reason for the larger barrel channel. My personal feeling on that a bigger channel allows more air around the barrel to aid in cooling it.
    I don't have any experience with b&c stock other ttan reading specs, but the barrel channel is made for a "varmint" contour if memory serves me correctly.
    Scooter

Basic Member
    Willy, have you tried communicating with the company? Maybe explain your concerns and give them a chance to address them before bashing them on a public forum? It might prove educational and even worthwhile.
    Last edited by foxx; 04-04-2015 at 07:23 AM.

D.ID
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterf79 View Post
    Sorry you're not happy with the stock, but just to let ya know, the stock isnt made wrong or anything....the tang needs to float on a savage.....has to do with how/ where the rear action screw holds the action. The barrel channel on the choates is made to hold up to a 1.25in barrel, thats the reason for the larger barrel channel. My personal feeling on that a bigger channel allows more air around the barrel to aid in cooling it.
    I don't have any experience with b&c stock other ttan reading specs, but the barrel channel is made for a "varmint" contour if memory serves me correctly.
    Scooter
    +1 on the choate features are by design.
    As to the B&C......Had one, before upgraded to the choate.

Quote Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
    +1 on the choate features are by design.
    As to the B&C......Had one, before upgraded to the choate.

They are correct on the spec parts.

I am just the opposite, absolutely hated the plastic feel of the Choate and upgraded to a B&C.
    More shooting, less typing.

Basic Member
    Foxx, yes sir i did call before posting but i think they shut down the friday before easter because i called atleast 5 times and kept getting the sorry inbox full message.
    And this is not a bash thread at all as I just didnt care for the excessive gaps because this is a bush gun and it is a definite possibility that foliage and seed etc infiltrates the the trigger assembly.
    I can honestly say i wanted this stock to work out but it did not meet my criteria. And remind you only mine.
    I am sorry if i confused anyone

maxl
    I have a choate on a long action build I did and my tang area is nothing like that, mine has a free float to it but very minor, Something is holding it up, try some inletting paste to see if it needs some minor fitting. I believe midway use to sell the gold color which would make the compound very visable with all that black.

I don't think you will be happy with the Medalist either because they have the same heavy barrel channel(Varmint/Tactical) as the Choate.

Good luck
    Gary
    Last edited by GaryB; 04-04-2015 at 09:51 AM.

I'm on the road until tonight, but possibly Easter Sunday I will take pictures of my 11 Trophy Predator Hunter (which has the same 'medium contour' barrel as a Hog Hunter) in the M40 Medalist stock.

It looks quite nice, IMO...plenty of room, but not NEARLY as much as the Choate.

Basic Member
    Boiler that would be awesome i look forward to seeing it.
    I have seen a couple medalist on savage but im not sure if they were the same contour as our barrel, and i agree they did look pretty good.

I have owned several choates over the years and have never seen one with such a wide barrel channel. It almost looks like someone opened it and sent it back and nobody noticed. Even with a bull barrel there would be a healthy gap. I would call them to get the exact width of the channel and if it doesn't measure up, send it back.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    Would anyone care to post pictures of a hog hunter or other medium contour barreled savage in a medalist? I have seen a couple when i searched other threads but they dont specifically show the barrel to stock fitment, just side view etc.

Sorry, life happened...

Basic Member
    How 'bout measuring it and compare / check with the company to see what it should be?

Basic Member
    Thanks Boiler, I agree thats a great fitment.

When I first got my B&C Medalist/Varmint stock for my Hog Hunter in .308, the tang sat up just like your photo. There was a ledge of material that the piece underneath the tang was setting on. Some work with a wood file and sandpaper, and that problem went away. Then I had to do some minor work to get the tang to free float. I can slide a piece of paper under the entire length of the barrel, but it is a tight fit. Took more work to get the stock to fit, but I’m quite happy with it.

The gap on the sides of the barrel may look large in the photo, but in person, it looks just right.

Gary...Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo

Basic Member
    Great looking rifle wingspar, I love the web coating the b and c has.

gotcha
    Wingspar, Very nice fitment. A little common sense goes a long way.

Thanks. I’m really happy with it.
    Gary...Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo