Thread: Boyds L/A axis pillar bedding

Basic Member

Boyds L/A axis pillar bedding

What type of pillars work best for bedding a savage axis l/a? Anyone have any picts or how to articles on how to go about doing this? thanks

There is an article on the front Home page for pillar and bedding for a rimfire in a Boyd's laminate stock so I would think the concept could apply with centerfires.

It's basically the same procedure for putting in the pillars as with any other rifle and stock. The only thing I'd say to look out for is the trigger assembly housing, which is spring-loaded. This doesn't change the process except it is prudent to hold down the tang as the epoxy cures. Skim bedding is slightly different around the recoil lug.

I use 1/8" pipe for the pillars. It's easy to cut to length with a hand-powered pipe cutter. I have run my drill bit into the rear crossbolt when hogging out enough wood for the pillar, but it did not do significant enough damage to the crossbolt to worry me, and I did the same job on my 300 Win Mag Axis.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    It's basically the same procedure for putting in the pillars as with any other rifle and stock. The only thing I'd say to look out for is the trigger assembly housing, which is spring-loaded. This doesn't change the process except it is prudent to hold down the tang as the epoxy cures. Skim bedding is slightly different around the recoil lug.

I use 1/8" pipe for the pillars. It's easy to cut to length with a hand-powered pipe cutter. I have run my drill bit into the rear crossbolt when hogging out enough wood for the pillar, but it did not do significant enough damage to the crossbolt to worry me, and I did the same job on my 300 Win Mag Axis.
    Oh ok great. 300 win mag axis? Id like to see that one, what barrel maker did you use for your axis build?

My build thread. I've been waiting on an Apache barrel for a couple months, but even with a Savage factory barrel it's still a good shooter!

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Hey Doc,
    You let Jim put a barrel together for you? You may have to drive down there & wake him up. (Gotcha again, Jim)

When you replaced the bolt head from the original Axis caliber to the magnum, was there any issues? Length OK?

I'm putting a 300 WM together as well and refurbishing my beloved '06 while I'm on a roll. Ideally, I'd like to put a Axis Magnum together so I can extend the magazine for it however, if I need a machine shop to modify bolt shaft length or modify the bolt head, I'll go back to plan A and make the old Stevens action a .300 WM.

No tech issues to speak of?
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

I was thinking he might need help digging himself out of the avalanche of orders!

I used a regular magnum bolt head, but I had to trim the shank so the firing pin would protrude. A drill bit did most of the work and some elbow grease did the rest.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    I was thinking he might need help digging himself out of the avalanche of orders!

I used a regular magnum bolt head, but I had to trim the shank so the firing pin would protrude. A drill bit did most of the work and some elbow grease did the rest.

Doesn't sound too awfully difficult. Drill bits I have but I will need another can of elbow grease. Seems to be in high demand here lately.

I read somewhere you had a concern about the recoil lug. Were there any modifications to it or the location it resides in? No additional strengthening of sorts?
    I can see where it would really suck salami skin pulling the trigger and having the complete action shift back possibly ending up with the bolt end in a nostril.

I think I'm going to have a serious look at an Axis / Magnum project.
    Thanks for the input.

And don't believe that "I'm real busy" story from Jim. He's busy alright. Busy with a fishing pole and a cooler.
    I have a job for him, too. When I wake him up I'll mention you were asking about him.
    Later.

Basic Member
    The magnum magazine for plastic fantastic 111's should work. Saw em on Ebay a while back advertising as Axis magnum. Had to post a wtf question in the Axis forum when I saw that.Thought I missed a new model Axis or something.

Sorry for hijacking the OP's thread, but that is correct for the magazine. It's Savage part number 109179.

Of course, if I were really sorry, I wouldn't continue by saying the recoil lug was a concern of mine going into the Maxis Project, but the lug in the Boyds stock is holding up well after repeated firings with moderately heavy ammo. I suspect that if fatal damage were being done to the wood or steel, it would be more clearly manifested.
    Last edited by DrThunder88; 04-06-2015 at 12:46 PM.

Basic Member
    Yeah, I was thinking along those lines as well.
    About the hijack.
    And the recoil lug.

Hey, maybe in your spare time (like between 2 & 4am) you can drop me a PM with a little more detail about what all you did to the Axis to make it magnum worthy. Especially the bolt / shaft / firing pin areas.
    I'm thinking between what you did & what I want to do to make it a little more stout, maybe I can put together a decent working axis magnum that won't self destruct after 100 rounds.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled topic.............