Thread: Recoil Lug

kensue49

Recoil Lug

I have an Axis 30-06 purchased November 11 2014 for deer hunting. I shot the rifle several times and it had a poor grouping. I decided to bed the action in the plastic stock that came with the rifle. I am ready to bed it but I am concerned about the recoil lug clearance. There is .008 thousandths of an inch between the recoil lug and the slot it fits into on the barrel. This seems excessive. Does anyone know what this clearance should be.

Do yourself a favor - rather than wasting $30-50 on bedding materials and your time trying to get bedding compound to stick to a factory tupperware stock, just go order yourself a new laminate stock from Boyds for $110 or so. The factory stock flexes horribly in the wrist area making it very difficult to shoot consistently and bedding isn't going to help that any.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I'm more impressed by your ability to measure in millionths of an inch. 0.008 thousandths? Wow!

I'm kidding of course. I think a great many people, when they bed their non-Axis rifles, follow the conventional wisdom of masking the front of the recoil lug with tape, which can range anywhere from 0.005-0.010 inches thick. It seems likely that the interface between the Axis' recoil lug and the slot in the receiver would have about the same clearance.

J. Baker is probably right about the stock itself though. I would be shocked if bedding the plastic stock was durable and ultimately improved accuracy over the factory pillars and inletting.

kensue49
    I already have everything and would like to try bedding the action.
    So as long as the extra space is toward the front of the recoil lug it should be ok then.
    Thank you for your responses.
    If this does not work then a new stock will be next.

Cool beans! I would be interested to know how it works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    Do yourself a favor - rather than wasting $30-50 on bedding materials and your time trying to get bedding compound to stick to a factory tupperware stock, just go order yourself a new laminate stock from Boyds for $110 or so. The factory stock flexes horribly in the wrist area making it very difficult to shoot consistently and bedding isn't going to help that any.
    IMO Mr. Jim is quite right. Been there done that.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    As a "former" hard core plain Jane plastic Axis lover, I also did everything humanly possible to the Axis "Flex-O-Matic" stock. Although anything I did to it was an improvement, I really wish I had spent my time & money on a few Boyd's stocks. Now that all my Savage rifles are equipped with Boyd's lumber I wonder how I managed with the plastic stocks.

Save your time & money. Order some lumber from Boyd's and you can bed those stocks. You won't regret it.

JB tried to warn a few of us some time back but nnNNNNNnnnoooOOOOoooo....
    Would've save quite a bit of time, ammo, money, aggravation, curse words (invented 2 new ones), etc, etc...
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

JB tried to warn a few of us some time back but nnNNNNNnnnoooOOOOoooo....
    LOL. Oh yeah. How many times I have done the exact same thing and been grateful I didn't get the "told you so." I deserved.