Thread: Boyd's Stock with gloss finish - chemical odor

Boyd's Stock with gloss finish - chemical odor

I decided to go with the "Custom gloss finish" for my Boyd's Thumbhole stock for my Axis. Thought it would be more durable. Stock came in and looks nice and fits nice.

However, it turns out the stock has a chemical smell to it, I assume due to the lacquer finish. Its not that bad until I have to shoulder it and my nose is an inch away. I'm sensitive to chemical smells and I can't stand having this stock near my face! Working with the stock (installing and sighting it in) had me feeling sick.

I've left a message with Boyd's, I'd like to exchange it for the same stock with a regular finish. Don't know if they will do it though, since its a custom order. I actually called them before I placed to order to make sure the gloss coating wouldn't stink and was told it had no odor. If they won't exchange it, does anyone have any idea of something I could coat it with, or something to do to take away the odor? The stock looks awesome, has reduced felt recoil and really tightened up my groups right off the bat, however, I know I won't want to be around the gun if it smells like this.

Basic Member
    It will diminish quickly. You could speed up the process hanging the stock in direct sunlight for a few days. Then apply a coat of wax and buff to a high luster finish.

Quote Originally Posted by sixonetonoffun View Post
    It will diminish quickly. You could speed up the process hanging the stock in direct sunlight for a few days. Then apply a coat of wax and buff to a high luster finish.
    Will do, thanks! Didn't know you could wax a lacquer finish. What wax would you use?

Edzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB308 View Post
    Will do, thanks! Didn't know you could wax a lacquer finish. What wax would you use?
    http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/co...nut-stock.html

Basic Member
    Probably a polyurethane. I'm no stain or finish guy but I had the same reaction to the odor as you. This seemed to speed up the curing process.

Quote Originally Posted by sixonetonoffun View Post
    Probably a polyurethane. I'm no stain or finish guy but I had the same reaction to the odor as you. This seemed to speed up the curing process.
    Boyd's said its a lacquer, told me they shipped it just after finishing so just give it more time to outgas. I was hoping for a polyurethane, like a smooth car or electric guitar finish. But it still looks good.