Thread: Planning my 1st prairie dog hunt in Wyoming....need some input.

Planning my 1st prairie dog hunt in Wyoming....need some input.

Hey guys, as the title says, I'm planning a small prairie dog hunt in July, in Wyoming. Im going to visit my sister and brother in law, and while Im out there Id like to take 1 day and do it. They live in Cheyenne and if possible Id like to find a place fairly close to shoot some, perhaps less than an hour. Ill be flying so my gear will be somewhat limited. I plan on taking 2 rifles, bipods, ear protection, rangefinder. Ammo.....I thought about maybe 200rds for each gun (22-250, and either my 17hmr or 17 hornet). My bro in law will likely go with me so I figured we could share the 2 rifles/ammo. Not sure how the weather is there during July, where I live is usually pretty hot and muggy then. How is the shooting that time of year? I would appreciate some input on places to possibly go or outfitters, gear I might need, ammo quantity, and the like.
    Thanks!
    Scooter

Basic Member
    Where i hunt dogs in Montana its steady shooting all day. I average 100/125 rounds per day single feeding the gun.
    Im sure with an AR type gun you could double that easily. The sun can really heat things up even in Wyoming in July.
    Some type of shade would be a good idea. If you plan on shooting from your belly take something to lay on. A moving
    blanket would work. Dont forget hand binnoculars. Your brother in law should be able to line up some places before you arrive.

Basic Member
    For a one day hunt, flying in, and hunting an unknown area, I think you are taking most of the hardware you and the BIL will need. Since your BIL is local, I'd suggest that you let him take the lead on finding a place to hunt. Trying to nail all the details down from the East Coast will be difficult. Plus, he can possibly get some face time with the owner of the property or a guide and go out and physically check out the hunting area. Also, while prairie dogs are not exactly game animals, you need to check the license requirements for an out-of-state person, since most states require a license to hunt any species.

I've never used these folks, but they may be a good place for you and your BIL to start your search:
    http://www.timberlinehunting.com/hun...irie%20dog.htm

Basic Member
    No license is needed in Wyoming for prairie dogs. I shoot a lot of state land and private north of Cheyenne , though they went through about 5 years ago and poisoned most areas ,they are coming back in some areas. They get shot at a lot on state land so after the first bang its only the ones out at 200 yards and farther that are out . If I'm in town at that time in July I would be glad to help you out for a day on some state land.

Thanks for the input guys,
    Yobuck, thanks for binoc idea, completely slipped my mind, i figure i can swipe a blanket or something from my sister to lay on.
    Thanks for the link mike, I'll check it out. My BIL isnt exactly local, hes in the air force and moved there several months ago, after 8yrs in Alaska, and is still new I guess. I also doubt he has the interest in doing this as much as I do lol
    Wyo, that sounds great....if at all possible, thanks for the info, obviously I still have alot of research to do, and the state land thing is cool, thats very limited where Im from.
    Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it
    Scooter

Basic Member
    You need to look around a little north in PA Scooter.
    There's several million acres of public land to hunt on there.
    The game commission owned state game lands alone are over a million acres.

Yobuck, Im a ways south of the PA border lol...down near Huntington on the map. There's some public land around here but come deer season (rifle mostly) those places are packed. I have access to some private land I hunt, but the public land is crazy. I think theres some bigger public places over toward the eastern side of the state.
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Basic Member
    Head west a little on 80, just past Elk Mountain, then you'll be in the high desert areas the dogs love without being around land taken up by ranchers. If you can get as far as Wasmsutter you're golden, just dog south of the highway, find some two tracks and you'll be in business.

As far as licensing goes you may want to double check but I believe a hunter safety card is required even for varmints.

Thanks for the info mattri, i hopped on google maps and it looks like maybe a 3hr drive to Wamsutter...thats not too bad......Ill be sending you a pm in a bit to talk some more details....
    Thanks!
    Scooter

Basic Member
    You will get all the shooting you want for one day within 60 miles of Cheyenne.

Really? Awesome.....Ill have a pm coming your way in a bit too....
    Thanks!
    Scooter

Basic Member
    wyo85 where are you finding public access shooting around Cheyenne?

Basic Member
    Chugwater, Torrington, Hawksprings, Table mountain , Yoder, Lingle, Veteran

Basic Member
    Scooterf79 , you would be wise to at least use a chair and shooting sticks at the location I sent you . Lots of snakes and they are not the friendly ones ! Last time my buddy used a mat there we shot for about a hour and took a 15 minute break when he went back to lay down on it a rattler came out from under it about 12 inches away from his leg. I was up there about 4 weeks ago and shot about 100 rounds in 3 hours mostly 230 to 400 yards with my Savage.
    Last edited by wyo85; 04-08-2015 at 10:40 PM.

Basic Member
    Good to know thanks. Does WY still allow shooting varmints from a vehicle if you aren't on a road?

Basic Member
    Not sure about that.

Basic Member
    You will also need a hunter education card with you if you were born after 1965. I got this from the WY game and fish website.

Q. Do I need hunter education to hunt jackrabbits and prairie dogs?

A. Yes, if you hunt the animals with a firearm. Wyoming law says anyone born after 1965 hunting any wild animal with a firearm -- whether nongame, game or predators -- must have passed hunter education. The exception is hunting with archery equipment or persons hunting on land owned by their family.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/wgfd-1000492.aspx

I had actually seen the requirement for that yesterday, does that mean a WY issued one or from my home state? If its from my home state, Im goodn thats mandatory here to get a hunting license.
    Thanks for all the info guys! I appreciate it!
    Scooter

Basic Member
    The one you have from your home state will work.

Oh ok n thats good to know.
    Scooter

Basic Member
    Looks like I may have been wrong about shooting varmints from a vehicle.

From that same site it looks as though it is permissible to shoot "predatory" animals from a vehicle as long as it is not on a roadway.

Do your due diligence but that sounds to me like yotes, not pds, not an expert by any means just saying it's something to keep in mind.

Basic Member
    My minimum experience in WY----WINDY!!! Osage for sure.

Basic Member
    We are rebuilding the interstate between Rawlins and Wamsutter this summer. I have spent a lot of time out there already this year and the dog population isn't worth the drive from Cheyenne. Actually the dog population west of the divide isn't worth the time anymore. 5 or 6 years ago it was easy to spend the day shooting but right now a day of shooting might really only be a handful of shots. I have shot 1 p-dog this year and kind of felt bad about it because the population is so bad.
    Doug

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.