Thread: Ain't so sure...

Theo_450

Ain't so sure...

I aqiured a Striker in .308 from a relative who passed away. It looks and functions great, but I am just not to sure about it. First of all, I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it. Second, it does rattle my teeth. I have shot it from a bench (incorrectly), and that hurt, then I shot it offhand, both hands on the grip, and I shot a three shot group of 5 inches at 25 yards, then I used a set of shooting sticks from 100 to 35 yards, and couldn't get on the paper. I like the fact that it was my uncle's a lot, but if I can't be effective with it, then I won't really enjoy it. I am an avid shooter with lots of experience with different guns. Guess I need some advice, I am pretty sure I am doing it wrong. Thanks for any suggestions.

scope is a Burris 3x7, shooting 7.62 bulk rounds.

Bipod and a small sand bag under the pistol grip to adjust elevation. Relax your grip and squeeze the trigger. It will just take practice to get used to the trigger. You should be able to shoot 1" at 100 easy with it. Check out the specialty pistols forum for more info.

Theo_450
    Quote Originally Posted by snowgetter1 View Post
    Bipod and a small sand bag under the pistol grip to adjust elevation. Relax your grip and squeeze the trigger. It will just take practice to get used to the trigger. You should be able to shoot 1" at 100 easy with it. Check out the specialty pistols forum for more info.
    thanks for your help. I didn't have any trouble with the trigger.
    So it sounds like this is a "bench" gun. Not very useful for hunting, or zombies...

i am gonna try it again next weekend with some proper .308 ammo.

I use a converted TV tray to hunt from.

Basic Member
    Bipod and sandbag on the bench. My tree stands have wrap around square tube rests that work well with foam water pipe insulation taped on. Lots of striker shooters like the big calibers, I switched my .243 to a .221fb. Changed the bolt head and it can switch to .300 blkout or 6mm X 45, both work for deer in NC. I don't care for heavy recoil.

Snowgetter suggested Specialty Pistol site, that is a good one.

I have 2 so far. One I built into a 444 Marlin for deer hunting and do about a 1.5-2" grouping at 150yds with it. I just use a bipod mounted far forward on the stock. Works like a champ. The other is one I am playing with. I built my own "chassis" stock for it and for now am playing with a cut down sporter barrel in 243 Win. I have brakes I built on both of them and recoil is about the same as a 357 in the 444 and like a 38spl in the 243.

I would be doing some practice and playing with different support positions. Also check your scope and all the mounts, see if they are loose anywhere. You could just be having a scope moving around on you or a scope that won't hold adjustment.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Theo_450
    Thanks for the input guys, I would post a pic if I was allowed to.

Quote Originally Posted by Theo_450 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys, I would post a pic if I was allowed to.
    The website doesn't have storage for pics, nobody has picture upload rights. You'll have to use a photobucket, picasa, or other storage site to link to.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Theo_450
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    The website doesn't have storage for pics, nobody has picture upload rights. You'll have to use a photobucket, picasa, or other storage site to link to.
    Thank you, I don't do any of those photo storage sites because they usually make you give up copyrights (read the fine print). Can I post a link to another forum where I have posted pics? No big deal if that is not ok. I want to be a rule abiding forum member. Thanks!

Basic Member
    You say that you were shooting "bulk 7.62 rounds". I am guessing these were military surplus, or mil-spec rounds. In most cases, these will not yield the best accuracy. The military's gravitation from aimed fire to "spray and pray" does not require target grade ammunition. Even the use of bulk mil-spec bullets when reloading will usually show a marked decrease in accuracy over a commercial target grade bullet. Strikers are inherently very accurate guns. I suggest that you give the gun a through cleaning, and verify that it has been correctly sighted in at 100 yards. with quality ammunition. Winchester Power Point is a reliable ammunition, and is available for very reasonable prices at Wal-Mart. I have killed a number of deer with the 150 gr. version in my .308 Striker, which will usually put 5 shots into less than an inch at 100 yards. If you still cannot achieve acceptable accuracy, check the scope. Are the adjustments maxed out? If so, you may need a different mount. Are the mount and scope screws correctly tightened? Loose mount screws will play havoc with accuracy. Guard screws should also be checked for tightness of 35 inch pounds. If everything is tight and the scope is not maxed out, you could have a problem with the scope. Burris has a lifetime warranty on all of its scopes, even if you are not the original purchaser, so you may need to return it to the factory for inspection/repair. If you do send it back, have Burris install the Ballistic-Plex reticle ($35), if it is not already in your scope. That is money well spent.

Finally, you mentioned that it "hurt" when shooting. First, is your gun equipped with a muzzle brake? If so, check to see if the brake is open, or closed. You can see the open holes looking at the side of the brake, if it is open. If not, just turn it to open the brake. This will give you about a 30% reduction in felt recoil. Second, is the stock the regular, or Super Striker model? The Super Striker stocks are made from laminated wood, and are thumbhole style. The regular stocks are black plastic. IMHO, the thumbhole opening on the Super Striker stocks is a bit small for my large sized hands, and rubs on the top of my thumb. If that is your problem, some stock surgery may be in order.

Strikers are pillar bedded, which means that the barreled action rests on two pillars set into the stock. The design is for a free floated barrel action that does not touch the stock-only the pillars. However, I have found that my .308 Super Striker shoots better with some forend pressure on the barrel, so I have added a couple of strips of Dymo label tape inside the forend for a pressure point. Good Luck
    Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
    NRA Patron Member

Theo_450
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawfish View Post
    You say that you were shooting "bulk 7.62 rounds". I am guessing these were military surplus, or mil-spec rounds. In most cases, these will not yield the best accuracy. The military's gravitation from aimed fire to "spray and pray" does not require target grade ammunition. Even the use of bulk mil-spec bullets when reloading will usually show a marked decrease in accuracy over a commercial target grade bullet. Strikers are inherently very accurate guns. I suggest that you give the gun a through cleaning, and verify that it has been correctly sighted in at 100 yards. with quality ammunition. Winchester Power Point is a reliable ammunition, and is available for very reasonable prices at Wal-Mart. I have killed a number of deer with the 150 gr. version in my .308 Striker, which will usually put 5 shots into less than an inch at 100 yards. If you still cannot achieve acceptable accuracy, check the scope. Are the adjustments maxed out? If so, you may need a different mount. Are the mount and scope screws correctly tightened? Loose mount screws will play havoc with accuracy. Guard screws should also be checked for tightness of 35 inch pounds. If everything is tight and the scope is not maxed out, you could have a problem with the scope. Burris has a lifetime warranty on all of its scopes, even if you are not the original purchaser, so you may need to return it to the factory for inspection/repair. If you do send it back, have Burris install the Ballistic-Plex reticle ($35), if it is not already in your scope. That is money well spent.

Finally, you mentioned that it "hurt" when shooting. First, is your gun equipped with a muzzle brake? If so, check to see if the brake is open, or closed. You can see the open holes looking at the side of the brake, if it is open. If not, just turn it to open the brake. This will give you about a 30% reduction in felt recoil. Second, is the stock the regular, or Super Striker model? The Super Striker stocks are made from laminated wood, and are thumbhole style. The regular stocks are black plastic. IMHO, the thumbhole opening on the Super Striker stocks is a bit small for my large sized hands, and rubs on the top of my thumb. If that is your problem, some stock surgery may be in order.

Strikers are pillar bedded, which means that the barreled action rests on two pillars set into the stock. The design is for a free floated barrel action that does not touch the stock-only the pillars. However, I have found that my .308 Super Striker shoots better with some forend pressure on the barrel, so I have added a couple of strips of Dymo label tape inside the forend for a pressure point. Good Luck
    Thanks Saw. Yes, it was military surplus junk ammo, probably my biggest problem. The scope seems ok, and I know how to figure that out, so I will pay attention to it. It hurt to shoot off of the bench because I was holding it wrong. It is the regular black Tupperware grip, but I was trying to hold it like a rifle, so my pain was in my right elbow raking across the bench. Dumb, I know, but I am living and learning how to shoot this gun. It only took me 3 rounds to not ever hold it that way again! I tried it with the muzzle brake in both positions, and found that it really helps with muzzle rise, but recoil is recoil, and I ain't scared of that. I am used to big bore rifles. Off of shooting sticks I found it difficult to maintain a decent hold on the target.

All that being said, I am convinced I need better ammo, and a couple of sandbags for a rest, and eventually a bipod if it works out. The gun is really clean, and in good condition. I am hoping I can hunt with it, and kill a deer with it just so my Uncle can smile down on me from above. I am still not sure, I won't hunt with a weapon that I am unsure in my abilities to shoot properly, but I am also... Not done yet! Thanks for all the replies and help. We are getting there.

Basic Member
    Shooting sticks can be a problem with a pistol. Primos makes an inexpensive slip on brace that gives you an extra anchor point. Don't give up on the Striker. It has the ability to deliver first class performance in the field. Good luck on honoring your Uncle's memory, I'll bet it won't take you long.
    Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
    NRA Patron Member

Basic Member
    When I'm practicing for a hunt with the Strikers I shoot it off of a backpack or rolled up jacket. When I'm hunting I usually shoot off of a stump with some sort of improvised front rest and no rear bag, so that's how I practice. It's not as accurate as a bipod and a rear rest but I can still hold all of my shots on a 10" gong out to 400 yards when shooting this way.

It just takes a little time to get the technique down when shooting the specialty pistols. I have a buddy who I shoot with who can't hit anything with a Striker but he's excellent with a rifle. I on the other hand, am better with the Strikers than I am with most of my rifles. It just takes trigger time.

Andrew

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.