Thread: Prefit Barrels

Billy

Prefit Barrels

Does anyone know the number of grooves/lands on a Shilen and Criterion barrel? Also, does anyone have experience with an X-Caliber or K&P barrel?
    Last edited by Billy; 04-02-2015 at 10:11 PM. Reason: typo

Basic Member
    I've got almost 500 rounds through an x-caliber 308 win barrel and it gives me 1/2 moa at short range and opens up to 3/4 to 1 moa at medium to long range.. I'm still working on tightening up my reloading consistency so I still don't think I've seen the true potential of this barrel. My shooting skills and consistency are what I would consider to be average.. I have looked at my barrel with a bore scope but I didn't even think to count the groves...

X-caliber

I purchased a pre-fit stainless 26" sporter style for my Savage 111 7mm RM from the "Barrelman." I called him, and he asked me some questions over the phone to fit my needs. I ended up with a 1:9 based on the bullets I was going to shoot. My gun smith said it was a great fit, and it took only 2 shots to ensure it was properly head spaced and fitted correctly. It's still in the break in process, but I'm very pleased with the accuracy. I can tell already it's an upgrade.---The pre-fit worked for me, and fit my budget. I'd do it again from the Barrelman. Took about 1 month for my make and model. The Xcaliber barrel shipped from the vendor, I think, in Utah. Cost of the barrel & shipping was $325.

Hope this helps.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Does anyone know the number of grooves/lands on a Shilen and Criterion barrel? Also, does anyone have experience with an X-Caliber pr K&P barrel?
    Sorry I can't count the lands on my criterion at the moment but I can tell you I get one small ragged hole at 100 yards and sub .5moa routinely at 300 yards.

Can't get to my criterion either at the moment but if my feeble mind serves me correctly I remember it as a four-groove. Can't speak for Shilen. My Criterion in .308 shoots fantastic by my standards, even with my limited reloading skills and very limited long-range shooting skills, 4" groups at 600 yds are easy on a good day, all day long, if I do my part, using 168gr pills, and don't look back, etc etc, insert preferred "range slang" here... Lol

northlander
    Taking both brands one at a time:
    Criterion has 6 rifling land in their Pre-Fit Barrel except for the 30 caliber. All 30 caliber us a 4 rifling land barrel.

Shilen uses 6 rifling land in their barrels unless you are using their ratchet rifled barrels. The ratchet rifled barrels are all 4 rifling land versions.

Jim Briggs
    NSS