Thread: Action question

Ksduckhntr

Action question

I have been looking for someone with a similar question and can't seem to find he answer. I have what I was told a 110 308 on a long action. I was then told that the bolt on the rifle actually is modified to not open the same distance as a true LA. I am wanting to build a 6.5 swede off this action and got it bc I was told it was a LA. Can anyone help tell me how to figure out if it's a true LA or can it be used for a 6.5?

Basic Member
    The bolt is not modified it just has an extended front baffle which limits rearward travel. If you cut it down or just replace it you gain full travel nesseccary for any long action cartridge.

Basic Member
    Your action is staggered feed and may need a standard long action mag box and follower depending on which mag box and follower came with it originally.

Basic Member
    As stated you have a long action with a extended baffle. You can swap out the extended baffle for a standard one, Brownells has them listed for about $4.00 plus shipping.
    For future reference you can measure the distance between the action screws, go to FAQ section. There you will find the different actions and distance between action screws.

Ksduckhntr
    Thanks for the quick replies. I did measure the action screws and knew the spacing was for a LA. I just was confused about the whole Bolt issue. As you see the action is how I received it. I am guessing it is a blind box magazine, from all the bits and pieces I have read on the Internet. Any other guesses?

Basic Member
    You will need to find a long action mag and follower for staggered feed actions. They attach to the receiver.

INFERNO

Team Savage
    Clint,

Is that a round back with a staggerfeed box? Never seen one of those.

Basic Member
    Yes it is. I've got a few SA's but this is my only LA round back SF accu trigger

Ksduckhntr
    Thanks Clint I have the follower now I need to find the mag box and standard LA baffle. Then I should be set for a stock.

Basic Member
    Are you sure it isn't an older 1st gen with the 4.522" screw spacing? Reference for verificatio: http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...Action-Lengths

Basic Member
    Sorry...scratch my prior post... miss where you've already checked the screw spacing.

Basic Member
    It could also be a LA configured as a SA having been a 308(?), being an old flat bridge receiver and the extended baffle to shorten the bolt throw.

The rear of a LA box will be just short of the rear of the port as in pic #1. If its configured as a SA the rear of the box will be well forward of the port as in pic#2.

Something to check before buying parts.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.