Thread: Boyd's Laminate Stock shortening

Boyd's Laminate Stock shortening

I've shortened wood stocks; All I did was tape around the area to be cut (to prevent chipping, etc), marked length, cut with hand wood saw, smooth butt end with belt table sander and installed a grid to fit pad.

Do I use the same method for a laminate stock ? My concern is that I'm not sure how the glue might react to the belt sander, even on a slow setting.

Basic Member
    About to get my Boyds and might need to adjust the LOP myself. Looking forward to what you uncover.

Basic Member
    my lop is a little to much also and needs shortened, seems every rifle I get I have to lean into the scope to much, even with them moved back as far as you can with the mounts

I will use the same method as above except; After marking the length, I'll score (1/16" deep) around the line with a utility knife and cut behind it (the side of the line closest to the butt) with a fine toothed wood saw. I'll use a metal file to flatten the butt (leave painters tape on) in liue of the belt sander and finish with 400-600 grit sand paper (wood block) to smooth out tooling marks.

FYI- For those of you that don't feel comfortable in cutting your stock, you can use rings with offsets (like Nikon P-series rings) if you don't mind how it will look.
    Last edited by TXCOONDOG; 04-02-2015 at 09:05 AM.

I've used my 2x48 belt grinder pretty extensively in reshaping a Boyds stock with no apparent ill effects. It was only on curved surfaces, so I can't speak to how flat it can leave the work piece.