Thread: drilling length for pillars

drilling length for pillars

Just got a boyds pro varmint stock for my model 10 308. I have experience in bedding the action. but with this stock I'm going to pillar bed it with lamp rod or brass nipples. I have researched for days on pillar bedding and am very confident in it. I just have one stupid question I'm not certain of. On the front action hole. Do I drill completely through the stock, like the rear screw hole? I know the pillar will be shorter and not be the full length of the stock. So when I drill it and get the pillar installed. If I look at the bottom side, I should see the pillar only but it will be recessed in the stock.
    [I]Bowers 2123[/I][COLOR="#0000FF"][/COLOR][SIZE=4][/SIZE]

Basic Member
    I assume this is a blind mag?

I would drill a hole slightly larger than the pillar all the way through, then cut the pillar so it is flush with bottom of the stock (or slightly longer) so the action screw is tight against the bottom of the pillar when tightened. The pillar needs to be epoxied to the stock when or before bedding the action.

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    I assume this is a blind mag?

I would drill a hole slightly larger than the pillar all the way through, then cut the pillar so it is flush with bottom of the stock (or slightly longer) so the action screw is tight against the bottom of the pillar when tightened. The pillar needs to be epoxied to the stock when or before bedding the action.
    Yes, model 10 blind mag, centerfeed.

If I drill full length and cut the front pillar to be flush with the stock, then wouldn't the screw head be sticking out past the stock when installed. I'd like for it to be recessed like the factory. I assume it's just a personal preference.

Basic Member
    ? Yes, I wouldn't want the action screw to stick out past the bottom of the forend ? :-((

Basic Member
    I did say make the pillar flush with the bottom of the stock, but what I meant was to make it flush with the point you want the head of the screw to tighten up against it.. So counter sink it if necessary (though the Boyds stock is already countersunk) and make the pillar long enough to allow the head of the action screw to tighten against it.

Basic Member
    Thanks foxx! I thought that's what you meant! :-))

Basic Member
    Assuming that you are using the factory front screw--the important measurement would be the length of the pillar-just long enough for the screw to tighten the pillar against the bottom of the action without the screw touching the barrel threads (1/4-1/2 turn). The screw head should be recessed into the Boyd's stock. Have fun! Steve

Thanks guys, I beleive I was over complicating it. I'll let you know how it turns out.