Thread: 110E pressed stock checkering refinish

skamondongo

110E pressed stock checkering refinish

I just bought a 110E .270. Pretty sure the manufacture date is some time between 1985 and 1988. The stock is hideous. Pressed checkering and spray-on finish makes it look plastic. I know birch isn't the best wood, but a little bit of love can make it look a lot better than it does. What I'm wondering, before I do any refinishing, has anyone had any luck hand cutting over the pressed checkering lines on one of these stocks? I read an article about doing it on old Remingtons, but their checkering style is a bit different. Thoughts? (Here's the article I read for reference: http://www.shootingtimes.com/gunsmit...smithing_0106/)

It really doesn't help it out that much because it is pressed so deep to begin with.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    It really doesn't help it out that much because it is pressed so deep to begin with.
    +1, cutting it with checkering tools doesn't do very much to improve the looks. Beech or Birch won't take a very good stain using standard oil stains, they only tint because of the tight grain. Aniline dyes in 91% alcohol will give a deeper/darker even stain and won't raise the grain much.

Use a good stripper to remove the old finish. Scrub the pressed checkering with an old tooth brush and additional stripper to remove finish from all the nooks and crannies. Tung oil will give you a nice oil finish that touches up nicely when scratched.
    Last edited by GaCop; 04-21-2015 at 04:57 AM.

Rob44
    If you use a Dye to stain go real light, I tried a Dye and while I got a Nice grain it was darker than I wanted