Thread: Problems getting enough elevation Something's not right

Sach33

Problems getting enough elevation Something's not right

Hello. I've read on this forum many times but first time to post. I just bought a model 10 fcp-sr the new one. Sat a vortex pst 6-24x50 on it. I'm having a problem I've never seen before keep in mind I'm new here but not new to shooting . This vortex suppose to have 65 total elevation it actually has 70 moa. I put a weaver 20 moa rail on and sighted in. After sight in I checked remaining elevation and only had 30 up elevation left after zeroing of coarse. I was hoping to have around 45. I've never heard of this before especially using a 20 moa rail. The rifle will shoot and group great sub half moa. I've swapped rail for another weaver 20 moa and also unmounted every thing and remounted twice. OK. I know I can go with 30 or 40 moa rail even adjustable rings but I would like to hear thoughts on this problem first. Oh I have Burris xtr tactical low mounts. Any ideas or thoughts.

KRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sach33 View Post
    I would like to hear thoughts on this problem first.
    Can you explain what the problem is?

Basic Member
    When you say Vortex is "supposed to have 65 to but actually has 70 MOA" is this something you've read or you've dialed up? An advanced MOA rail will not mechanically change the internal functionality of a scope. May be silly but are you sure the rail is mounted properly? What caliber? Will you be shooting beyond 1000 yards?

Sach33
    I need 45 up moa. I can get it with a bigger moa rail but I wondering why I'm not getting as much as I should with the 20 rail. Has anyone had this problem before. I was told my bore is strait. Don't wanna keep growing more money at it if this is a gun defect. If is a common problem then I'll move on. I guess it's no big deal really just wandering if this is common only having this much elevation with my setup

Sach33
    Vortex manual says 65 total elevation. I say 70 1/2 because I counted it out and mech set to 0. Cal. 308. Only intend on reaching 1000yd. I don't have to have extra 45 moa but friends of mine with same glass are having 45 47 moa with same set up Wondering why I'm not even close to that. I kno for sure I have to have more elevation to reach 1000. I could b wrong but it would b kinda hard to mount a base wrong.

tjo116
    I'm new to long range shooting, just bought my first savage a few weeks ago and haven't shot it yet. Anyway, I THINK that the purpose of adding a 20 MOA rail is to gain extra elevation travel in the DOWN direction in order to reach further out. I could be entirely wrong as I had a similar issue when I mounted my scope.

BowNut
    Have you shot it without the 20MOA base? How much adjustment did it take to get zeroed starting with scope centered?

Sach33
    Sorry I'm not on point here. Let me ask a question this way. It may help me get the answers I'm looking for. Do you think I should have more than 30 moa up elevation after sight in at 100 yds, using a 65 moa total elevation scope sitting on a 20 moa rail. Anyone I know can reach 1000 yds using a comparable setup , some using 20 moa rail with a less total elevation scope. Is this common needing a 30 or 40 moa rail to reach 1000yds. If not, then what are some reasons for this other than mounting corrections.

Basic Member
    What ammo are you using and what is the velocity?

Basic Member
    If you have 70 total and you are near the center of you scope adjustment. You have 30 up and 40 down. That adds up to 70 total.

Sounds like you are zeroed near the center of your scopes adjustments right now and all is good.

If you need more start slipping temporary shims under the rear of the scope rail till you get the desired effect. Start out with .005 and see if it works.. If it does make a permanent shim and bed both ends with jb weld and make sure you tighten just the front screw and the front rear screw with shim installed and don't forget release agent if you ever want to remove the rail. Savage recievers are sanded and or polished for desired finish and they aren't always perfect. It happens to remingtons and a Winchester or 2 that I have seen.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    How far from zero elevation does the rifle shoot with a zero MOA base? Perhaps that may hold some answers. I know you stated that the bore is straight and I'm sure you have a quality barrel but it may be worth checking anyway.

Basic Member
    Should you have +/- 30 MOA elevation? Maybe. It really depends on what your mech. zero. What should be in theory versus what we desire is always going to be different (ask Plato - hahaha). But I like to simplify things. If you need that dial up then you may need to contact Vortex to see if you have the right set up. If you don't then I would be happy with the set up you have.

I try to avoid comparing set ups. One of my buddy used the same custom builder, purchased the exact same parts (brake, barrel, bipod, receiver, scope, base, bolt, trigger, etc EVERYTHING...) from the exact same manufacturers even using the same same bullet weight the only variance was finding the right powder load etc. But he could never get the rifle to perform as well as mine. So in short. Keep perspective on how you will actually be using the gun for your intent. If you are getting what you want out of it then you are good to go.

Is your windage centered? If not, it could be limiting elevation travel.
    "The truth is that all men having power ought to be mistrusted." - James Madison

troutdodger
    What kevwil said. If you are anywhere close to the edges of your windage adjustment, that will substantially limit your elevation as well. Do you know where you are windage wise??

gr8lakes

20 moa base

Just a note

I have 2 savage .308 rifles, an 11VT from Dick's, and an 10 FCP-SR that I just got a few weeks ago.

On the 11VT I have a weaver 20moa rail with a 32 power scope,
    when I received my 10FCP-R I wanted to get out to the range fast
    so I removed my scope and base from the VT and placed it on the FCP-SR.

I needed to adjust the scope 11 moa just to be on center between the 2 guns.

So yea something is different with the receiver on the 10FCP-SR.

Edit:

I only had 36 moa left with the 10FCP-SR from 0, I will remount the rail and scope on to the 11VT, and post this weekend if there diffidently is a 10 or so moa difference.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8lakes View Post
    I needed to adjust the scope 11 moa just to be on center between the 2 guns.

So yea something is different with the receiver on the 10FCP-SR.
    You didn't say whether you went UP 11 moa, or down, or to the left or right...

FWIW, I had my Nikon monarch zeroed on an AR at 200yds, and then I mounted it on my new FCP-SR.

To zero it on the FCP-SR (also at 200yds) took 32 clicks (8 moa) UP from where it was.

gr8lakes
    Bimmer

The scope was mounted on a savage 11VT with the weaver 20moa rail, and was zeroed in at 100Y,
    I remember I was almost out of elevation adjustment on the scope, ( Hawke 8x32x56 Sidewinder )
    the ammo I used was my hand loads, sierra 168 match, 39.5g IMR 8208, FC brass, CCI LR primers
    chrony was showing 2600-2650 fps.

That scope and rail were moved to the new 10FCP-SR, along with the same hand loads,
    I was shocked that I wasn't even on paper at 100Y without touching my settings,
    it took 11 moa up, and then 1 moa left to zero at 100Y, but had about a 15 mile crosswind.
    did not have my chrony that day.

My FCP-SR just went back to Savage for a burr on the chamber, when I get it back
    I will do a side by side at the range, that way I will have the same weather conditions
    and post back.

Basic Member
    TO THE OP.
    Zero the gun at 100 yds. Then be looking at the target thru the scope as you count the remaing clicks on the elevation.
    When the reticle stops moving (down), stop turning and counting because thats all you have. You just cant turn the knob
    till it stops and think thats how many clicks you have. If the reticle isnt moving nothing is happening.
    You can also find the total number of usable travel from max up to max down in this maner.
    When you get your zero, do the same as above while counting as you turn down. This will help determine how much more taper you can use.
    My son has a Vortex on his 338x378 and couldnt get to 1200 yds with a 20 minit base. You just might need a 30 minit on your gun.

Sach33
    I realize I can get more up elevation with a different rail and take care of this issue.i have a kenFarrell on the way. I've just not ever heard of any one using a 20 moa rail with a scope with total 65 elevation and only having 30 min of up el left. Gr8lakes makes me think it's an fcp-sr thing. I do have another question tho. If I have 30 min of up elevation after 100 yrd sight in with a 20 rail , if I change the 20 to a 40 moa rail in a perfect world I should have 50 up elevation and 15 down. With a 65 total elevation scope. Is it safe to think that way.

Basic Member
    I am not familiar with the particular rail installed and please ignore if a one piece with a cut out on the ejection side only BUT, if two piece or a one piece with dual cut outs, are you sure you have it on pointing in the right direction?

gr8lakes
    Sach33

If my math is right the 10FCP-SR has about 10 moa built in to the receiver going the wrong way.

My scope has a total of about 56 moa total travel, split in half is 28, plus the 20 from the rail 48 total from center
    and like I said above I had a total of 36 moa left after zero at 100Y, and I was 11 moa off from the 11VT bringing me back to 47, give or take.

You will need a 30 moa rail for you to achieve your 45 up.