Thread: are the Choate tactical stocks any good?

Basic Member

are the Choate tactical stocks any good?

I am doing a model 11 hog hunter build in 308 and, of course, am ditching the factory stock for a stiffer one and saw that eabco sells a Choate tactical for $199 http://www.eabco.net/Choate-Tactical...k_p_14193.html and it peaked my interest. It kind of looks like a Mcmillan a5 without the adjustable cheek piece. The have a full length aluminum bed extending all the way to the forend which in theory sounds like a great feature. Does anyone have any knowledge or first hand experience with them? I am trying to decide between that and the bell and carlsons of similar prices.

Team Savage
    yep, i'm satisfied with mine.
    Stu

D.ID
    My favorite stock.
    Hands down the best money I've spent and I have half a dozen. Worth twice what they charge for them.

Basic Member
    I really like mine also. I wish I would have bought another one instead of the Boyd's Tacticool.

Basic Member
    I've been thinking of getting one, but i keep hearing that they're really heavy.

D.ID
    Little under 4lbs for the tactical version....3 lb 11oz if memory serves.
    Not light but when you add up all it's features ......full length aluminum skeleton with v-block, anshultz type fore end rail, spacers for length and cheek rest height, sling swivel studs on both sides, etc. etc. any other truly comparable precision stock is right in there for weight anyway.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the help fellas,
    Mikgarus, thats seems to be the only knock on it from the reviews i have seen.
    On the ar15 forum i saw a couple negative reviews but i noticed a little, i guess what you could call fanboyism, fron the McMillan crowd, and im not going to say the choate is in the same league as the mcm but are the McMillans 3-4 times better to justify the price? In my research i will venture to say no. I think i will be ordering soon.

Basic Member
    I like mine too.

I like mine really well....I think its a bit heavy but for my intended purpose....its great. I think youll like it. Feels good and fits good.
    Scooter

Basic Member
    FWIW I really didn't like mine, ended up selling it off.

I'm not a particularly larger person but I thought the pistol grip/palm swell was WAY too close to the trigger guard, absolutely no room for a natural grip.

I've shot a couple McMillans and own a few HS Precisions along with a couple Stockades and have had no issues with any of them, just thought the Choate was really crowded.

Basic Member
    Mcree chasis, Choate tactical, hs precision (both models from 10 LE and 12 lrp), Choate ultimate varminter. My favorites, in that order From what I own

Basic Member
    Thanks for the input. I took the plunge and ordered it so i will have a report in 3-5 days when i can get range time. This rifle is a budget build and i do not have the funds to go top of the line on anything. Worse case scenario i am out the price for the stock but i will chalk it up to learning the long range game. I truly appreciate all the insight yall have offered. Much appreciated indeed

Perfect place to start!

D.ID
    If you do not like it resale should be easy and since they do not require bedding a used one is just as good as new.

Basic Member
    Good point D.ID,
    thanks again guys for helping out a rookie.

reynoldsfamily3
    They are very easy to modify. Some sandpaper will easily shrink the hand swell or reshape different areas.
    As for weight, I wound up adding almost a pound to the rear of the stock to make my rifle balance right; very easy to do by removing the but pad.

Basic Member
    I bought the tacicool, wish I'd have bought the Choate.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger3 View Post
    I bought the tacicool, wish I'd have bought the Choate.
    The slight weight savings in the Tacticool was nice but I'm about to build a aluminum bedding block since I can't keep it from cracking at the action screws. I'm going to make a bit more room in the grip area on the Choate also.

Basic Member
    The choate should be here tomorrow sometime so I disassembled the action from the factory stock and wondered if i will need to remove the blind mag as well or does the Choate come with one already installed? I will be posting some pics of the install and final fitment.

Basic Member
    I also noticed my trigger guard is cracked. Does anyone know who sells one for the hog hunter that doesnt need to be shimmed?
    Last edited by willyg09; 04-02-2015 at 03:16 PM.

Basic Member

Here is the model i have.
    The ones i found on midway are flat top.
    Thanks in advance

D.ID
    All my hog hunter take off stocks still have there trigger guards...... so.....I think your choate comes with one.
    If not......I have a spare, your welcome to.
    P.S. You will need your magazine from the old stock.

Basic Member
    Do those stocks come with mounting screws?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Do those stocks come with mounting screws?
    Nope, no screws, no trigger guard, no mag frame.

Basic Member
    Thanks D.ID I really appreciate that. I will PM you.

Anyways I received that choate and I am sad to say I will be returning it for a Bell and Carlson as soon as eabco.com refunds my account. I was inspecting the aluminum bedding and there were rough burrs all along the bedding block. Also the there was a large gap around the tang, large enough to see the most rearward trigger spring.
    On top of that the barrel channel was HUGE. I heard other members mention that part when I was researching it but I could literally fit my finger in between the barrel and stock inlet. It looks like I am going to end up losing about $45 dollars for shipping back and forth but live and learn I guess.