Thread: Model 11 Hog Hunter fluted bolt

Basic Member

Model 11 Hog Hunter fluted bolt

Does anyone know who sells a good drop in fluted bolt for the model 11 hog hunter in 308? I am looking to reduce the slop in the factory one. I found the PTG model 10 spiral fluted on midway but wasnt sure what kind of fitting Etc they require as i am not a gunsmith by any means. I hear people talking about headspacing and other parameters and its way over my head. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by willyg09; 03-30-2015 at 02:40 PM.

Basic Member
    The ptg is a drop in unit. Requires no gun smithing. Does tighten the bolt slop up. Does not change headspace. Of course this is MY rifle, your results can be different

Basic Member
    Don't worry about bolt slop.....why do you think they shoot so good?
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    How would i install the bolt face. Also on midway it says it is shipped in the white. Not sure what that means

Basic Member
    Shipped in the white means unfinished steal. (Not stainless) you can oil it or cerakote to keep from rusting etc. you will need to disassemble the factory bolt as the ptg one uses all the factory pieces except the body. There are videos on YouTube of how to to this with a 110, same style bolt as yours. The pin that removes the bolt head has the firing pin through it so this will be the final piece you remove and first you re-install. The video will show you what you need

Basic Member
    Thank you hafejd30 and sharpshooter.
    Much appreciated

Team Savage
    I recently switch to the PTG spiral fluted bolt body and PTG bolt head on a couple of my Savage SA varmint rifles. It did take out the slop in the bolt since the PTG bolt bodies sold by Midway were slightly oversized 0.700" for tighter tolerance when compared to the Savage factory bolt body. Because of the tighter fit and spiral fluting, these bolt bodies do bind slightly when I first installed and tried to work the bolt quickly. Not a problem, since I use a SSS single shot ramp for bench and varmint shooting. But it might be an issue for a magazine feed rifle and rapid fire. The new PTG bolts have gotten better with time and a few hundred cycles to wear them in. I would recommend re-checking for the correct head-spacing if you switch out the bolt body or bolt head. My experience with the PTG bolt body and bolt head was no change on the first rifle, but I had to reset the head-space on the second rifle. As expected, there was no change in the inherent Savage heavy bolt-lift.
    Last edited by jpdown; 04-01-2015 at 12:28 AM.

Bolt body makes no difference the bolt head is what locks up the round.

Basic Member
    The bolt body will make a difference if it won't let the bolt head float enough. You might be under the impression that everything is straight about the receiver. If the bolt body fits the receiver bore tighter, it can't compensate if the barrel threads are off center with it. If the i.d. of the bolt body is tighter, it will limit the bolt head swivel.
    The fact is: Tighter is not always better......unless you're talking about women.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Amen sharpshooter!
    But im guessing this is where people start truing recievers and bolt faces correct? I will be rebarrelling eventually and was wondering if you think these processes are necessary and cost effective?