Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope moving in rings...HELP.

Scope moving in rings...HELP.

So, I just got my custom .338 Edge put together. Not a lightweight gun, around 14 lbs, 32" barrel, vais helical brake. SEEMS like it has less recoil than my Savage 110 .300 win mag. My problem is, my Vortex Viper 6-24 HS-T is scooting forward when I fire from the recoil. I have millet 6-screw rings, rings are torqued to 20 in lbs and not bottomed out. This is the first gun to do this to me...including the .338 Lapua that I mounted a scope on in the same way. What can I do to prevent this? What rings will work better? Thinking the Burris rings??

Help me out here...
    One Shot - One Kill. Semper Fi.

switch to a Burris Signature Zee Rings and slipping will cease.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhammo08sxt View Post
    So, I just got my custom .338 Edge put together. Not a lightweight gun, around 14 lbs, 32" barrel, vais helical brake. SEEMS like it has less recoil than my Savage 110 .300 win mag. My problem is, my Vortex Viper 6-24 HS-T is scooting forward when I fire from the recoil. I have millet 6-screw rings, rings are torqued to 20 in lbs and not bottomed out. This is the first gun to do this to me...including the .338 Lapua that I mounted a scope on in the same way. What can I do to prevent this? What rings will work better? Thinking the Burris rings??

Help me out here...
    Did you use the same scope on the Lapua? We had the same issue with that scope on my sons 338x378.
    We torqued the screws to 25in pounds and so far it seems to be holding. But with Vortex when you tighten them
    that much the adjustments might not work. Your on the upper end of the Vortex reccomended settings now.
    You could try the signature rings, it would be interesting to see if that helps. I also been told some add a third ring.
    Our plan is to ace the scope at least on that gun.

D.ID
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    switch to a Burris Signature Zee Rings and slipping will cease.
    I fought my burris signature rings on my 13lb edge untill I was so ticked at them that I literally threw them away.
    Believe it or not I run 4 six hole rings on that rifle. One of the most accurate rifle I own.

Quote Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
    I fought my burris signature rings on my 13lb edge untill I was so ticked at them that I literally threw them away.
    Believe it or not I run 4 six hole rings on that rifle. One of the most accurate rifle I own.
    SURELY- Somebody makes some rings that would hold that thing on there. I just can't imagine that I would need to add 2 more 6-hole rings. I did have a Redfield Battlezone 6-18x50 on the same gun, with weaver quad-lock rings torqued to the same specs, with the same effect... Anyone else have an Edge that they have scope rings for?

Basic Member
    It's not uncommon to add a 3rd or 4th ring on the bigger magnums. Get some quality rings like seekins or American Rifle Company's . Or add more cheap rings.

D.ID
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    It's not uncommon to add a 3rd or 4th ring on the bigger magnums. Get some quality rings like seekins or American Rifle Company's . Or add more cheap rings.
    +1
    With the soft grip required for vortex tubes, extra surface area could not hurt.

Basic Member
    The biggest reason that rings slip is the lack of surface area contacting. Lap them in for 100% contact.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    The biggest reason that rings slip is the lack of surface area contacting. Lap them in for 100% contact.
    I did lap the rings and it didnt help. We used the 6 screw weaver rings. We also had other issues with windage zero due to a 40 minit taper on the base.
    So we got U S Optics windage adjustable rings to solve that issue $216 for the rings. At 25lb it seems to be holding, but its coming off anyway and will
    be replaced with a Nightforce.

I for one wouldn't be mad at the rings, I would be mad at the cartridge for kicking so dang hard you need $100+ worth of rings just to hold a scope on the dang thing. That being said I have never found a ring better than the Burris Signature Zee rings. They allow for 100% contact and align the scope properly with no binding and no need to lap. I have never had a set of these even think of slipping and have them on everything. Of course I don't use craptex scopes either and torque everything to 25 in lbs.

Basic Member
    SURELY- Somebody makes some rings that would hold that thing on there. I just can't imagine that I would need to add 2 more 6-hole rings. I did have a Redfield Battlezone 6-18x50 on the same gun, with weaver quad-lock rings torqued to the same specs, with the same effect... Anyone else have an Edge that they have scope rings for?
    Where in PA do you live?

D.ID
    I also torque everything to 25".........except vortex and don't expect to buy another but the one on my 308 works just fine.
    As far as the cartridge goes..........guess I should be mad at my muzzle brake for being so effective........but I'm not :)

Basic Member
    What can I do to prevent this? What rings will work better? Thinking the Burris rings??

Help me out here...
    Welcome to the wonderful world of "Almost right"!

If you're sure the top half tabs aren't bottoming out then I'd bed the rings to the scope tube for as close as possible 100% contact and stress free fit.

I bed the bottoms to the tube first then the tops for a minimum of 1/16"- 3/32" gap between the tabs pulled evenly with the screws just snugged. I have yet to have a scope move, mine or anyone's, pipsqueak or hard kicker.

A four part video showing the process. Pay close attention the thickness of the bedding in part four. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOiOZ356vpI

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Where in PA do you live?
    Brookville, PA

Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    I for one wouldn't be mad at the rings, I would be mad at the cartridge for kicking so dang hard you need $100+ worth of rings just to hold a scope on the dang thing. That being said I have never found a ring better than the Burris Signature Zee rings. They allow for 100% contact and align the scope properly with no binding and no need to lap. I have never had a set of these even think of slipping and have them on everything. Of course I don't use craptex scopes either and torque everything to 25 in lbs.
    A: It has a muzzle brake and kicks less than my .300 win mag with no brake.
    B: So the "Craptex" that I have sitting on my .50 BMG can't withstand the torque of the "Craptex" rings that it's in? 300+ rounds and THAT scope hasn't budged....

By the way, I talked to the Vortex reps today, if the scope is damaged by torquing the rings to the RING manufacturers specifications, send the scope to Vortex, they send you a new one. SOOOOO, where does everyone get the idea that you can't torque your rings as tight???

Please only respond if you have useful information.

Thanks.

D.ID
    No doubt vortex will stand behind it but if it can't track reliably do to "over torquing" Beyond vortex's own recommendations then it fails to serve it's purpose even if they replace it.
    I have had no trouble with mine on a 7mm or 308 but did not install it on the bigger gun's because of those limited recommendations.
    I have seen many reports of 25" binding internals on the vortex line, no personal experience tho.

A: It has a muzzle brake and kicks less than my .300 win mag with no brake.
    B: So the "Craptex" that I have sitting on my .50 BMG can't withstand the torque of the "Craptex" rings that it's in? 300+ rounds and THAT scope hasn't budged....

A: I should hope so but never the less recoil is responsible for the scope movement due to light torque specs of the optic.
    B: Probably not if torqued to 25 in lbs. I am glad that one hasn't budged at the recommended torque settings and I hope it never does.
    C: Sounds like you're one of the lucky ones. I have owned five or six different Viper scopes all of them had to be sent back for tracking issues or other mechanical failure hence the endearing term of "Craptex".

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
    No doubt vortex will stand behind it but if it can't track reliably do to "over torquing" Beyond vortex's own recommendations then it fails to serve it's purpose even if they replace it.
    I have had no trouble with mine on a 7mm or 308 but did not install it on the bigger gun's because of those limited recommendations.
    I have seen many reports of 25" binding internals on the vortex line, no personal experience tho.
    That is the problem, binding the internals which dosent allow the adjustments to work.
    When i first installed the scope on my sons gun i didnt own or never needed a torque driver.
    But when i tightened it down as id been doing with other scopes for about 50 years, the knobs didnt work.
    A call from a factory rep said get an inch pound torque driver and set the screws @ 15 in #.
    That didnt hold the scope and neither did 20# even after lapping the rings. And no Bill its not bottomed out.
    There is space between top and bottom halves of the rings.
    Im somewhat surprised the op isnt having similar problems on the 50.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    That is the problem, binding the internals which dosent allow the adjustments to work.
    When i first installed the scope on my sons gun i didnt own or never needed a torque driver.
    But when i tightened it down as id been doing with other scopes for about 50 years, the knobs didnt work.
    A call from a factory rep said get an inch pound torque driver and set the screws @ 15 in #.
    That didnt hold the scope and neither did 20# even after lapping the rings. And no Bill its not bottomed out.
    There is space between top and bottom halves of the rings.
    Im somewhat surprised the op isnt having similar problems on the 50.
    I have an older (5 yrs) Vortex Viper 6-24x50 on the .50 upper by BOHICA arms. Worked flawlessly. Since then, I have bought 2 Vortex Crossfires, a Diamondback, another Viper and now a Viper HS-T. They have always been great scopes for me. I think it was the Millett rings that I had...I threw them in the trash and ordered a set of Burris Signature Zee rings today. I guess I'll find out if they work or not. I will be using an in.lb. torque wrench as I do on all my other scopes. If the Burris rings don't work, then I think I will sell that scope and buy a MK 4. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Basic Member
    Sounds like the surfaces are too slick, you might try some powdered resin in the rings.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Sounds like the surfaces are too slick, you might try some powdered resin in the rings.
    Will definitely do that if the Burris signature rings don't fix it.

Basic Member
    remember to clean everything with alcohol to remove any and all oil and grease
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

anytym
    I have used Burris Signature rings on nearly all my rifles and pistols and have never had any slippage problems. Also there are no ring marks on the scope. These rings will not torque the scope if the bases aren't exactly level.
    Last edited by anytym; 05-04-2015 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anytym View Post
    I have used Burris Signature rings on nearly all my rifles and pistols and have never had any slippage problems. Also there are no ring marks on the scope. These rings will not torque the scope if the bases aren't exactly level.
    Got a pair of Burris signature Zee 30mm steel rings with inserts. Scope is rock solid after 50 rounds. No need for 3 or 4 rings...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast