Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Troubles with Sightron 10-50x60 Installation

md80captain

Troubles with Sightron 10-50x60 Installation

I just got me a Sightron 10-50x60 to replace the SWFA 16x42 on my 110 custom build. I have a one piece 20 MOA mount that I used with the SWFA and Weaver tactical medium height rings. The problem is when I'm bore sighting I don't have enough adjustment to bring the crosshairs up over the target. They are also way too right. I called sightron they said it is a mounting problem. I mentioned that my SWFA worked fine on the same mount and he stated that the high magnification of the sightron was the issue. "But I set it to 10x I replied." He still insists that the high magnification somehow exaggerates the error of the mounting.

Can't really wrap my head around this one. I suppose it is possible that the 20 MOA inclination of the mount is beyond the range of the scope to adjust, but not too sure about the windage issue.

Any ideas?

Some Burris SIG Rings with they inserts would cure that.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

md80captain
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    Some Burris SIG Rings with they inserts would cure that.

Dean
    Thanks, I actually discovered that possibility myself scouring the forums last night. I'll go ahead and order a pair. I wish Allan at Sightron would have mentioned this.

Quote Originally Posted by md80captain View Post
    Thanks, I actually discovered that possibility myself scouring the forums last night. I'll go ahead and order a pair. I wish Allan at Sightron would have mentioned this.
    Don't take it personally, but optics company's are reluctant to mention other competitors, to cure their problems. that's what forums are for.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

md80captain
    Well I guess I have to say his attitude was that any sight in errors are my problem and there's nothing sightron will do about it. I find it hard to believe that that a scope may have been manufactured out of limits for adjustment.

That being said, here's what I have right now. With the bore sighted at a spot on my barn's wall 100 feet away the cross hair needs to come up 9" and left 6.5". This is with the elevation bottomed out and the windage centered. This is roughly 27 and 19 minutes respectively at 100 yards. THAT IS ONE HELL OF A LOT! Now if I get rid of my 20 MOA base that will take care of most of the elevation issue, the burris rings should take care of the rest. However the windage is another thing altogether. I'm not sure I can get anywhere close to 19 minutes with the available adjustment. BTW, I have the current rings set as far apart as possible.

That is the great thing about the Burris rings, they do both windage and elevation, here 9 min well spent.

Dean

md80captain
    ^^^Good video, answered at least one question I had about the rings, and that was exactly how much adjustment could be made with them. Looks like these will do it. I showed it to my gunsmith and he noted some of the Duracoat I had refinished my whole gun with, including the base, could also be contributing to the problem. I think between both I'll get this problem solved, Thanks.

Let us know how it works out,

Dean

PS: I am not on this forum for my charming personality and boyish good looks, I do come in handy sometimes.LOL

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post

PS: I do come in handy sometimes.LOL
    As Red Green would say, " If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"

Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    Some people will argue but using standard rings on a rail it will make no difference how close or far apart you place them you will still have whatever the rail is in inclination. The Sig-Z rings will change the inclination depending on distance apart. Odds are you have always had this problem but the SWFA scope had enough adjustment you didn't notice it whereas the Sightron doesn't have as much. You could try turning your rings around and see if they are a little off and switching them front to rear could change them some also.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Well I guess I have to say his attitude was that any sight in errors are my problem .................

.....bore sighted at a spot on my barn's wall 100 feet away the cross hair needs to come up 9" and left 6.5".

So far he sounds correct. The 10-50 has 50 MOA of total travel, 25 up, 25 down. You added 20 MOA to the up at the cost of taking it away from the down (cross hairs are low, if you shot the POI would be above POA). It is not possible for the current set up to bore sight at 33 yards, it maybe possible at 200 yards, or it may be 300 yards.

What is the typical distance this will used at? If it is 600+, your elevation will not be an issue. If it is closer then loose the 20 MOA rail, not needed. If you would like to have both, then do as above and use the inserts to get your L/R straight and take out about 10 MOA as well.
    More shooting, less typing.

md80captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    So far he sounds correct. The 10-50 has 50 MOA of total travel, 25 up, 25 down. You added 20 MOA to the up at the cost of taking it away from the down (cross hairs are low, if you shot the POI would be above POA). It is not possible for the current set up to bore sight at 33 yards, it maybe possible at 200 yards, or it may be 300 yards.

What is the typical distance this will used at? If it is 600+, your elevation will not be an issue. If it is closer then loose the 20 MOA rail, not needed. If you would like to have both, then do as above and use the inserts to get your L/R straight and take out about 10 MOA as well.

If I had known that the travel on the Sightron 10-50x60 was only 50 MOA (It's actually about 57 total), I probably would not have bought this scope. That being said, I did make a couple of interesting discoveries. First, the duracoat I had painted my entire rifle with, including the base, was causing inconsistencies in the ring mounting. Cleaning off the base with paint remover took care of the windage issue. However my crosshairs were still more than 20 MOA low. I decided to try the Burris Zee Rings, but unhappily discovered that the 30mm units only come with +/-0 or +/- 10 MOA inserts. There is simply not enough range of adjustment in the inserts to compensate for the error (20 MOA max). As far as I can tell, the +/- 20 inserts are only available for the 1" model.

So I am going to have to change out the base to a zero MOA unit. This will leave me about 7 MOA low. At this point I'm thinking of using the -10 insert on the rear ring and zero on the front this will then put me 3moa high which should equal a roughly 200 yard zero which should be good enough. I am nominally aiming for 1500 yards which should be doable with the right load.
    Last edited by md80captain; 04-14-2015 at 04:47 PM.

md80captain
    Quick Follow up: I changed my base to a zero MOA base ($118 Ferrell Industries), I changed the rings to Burris Zee Rings. Even with the adjustment of the zee rings and the 0 moa base, I cannot get this thing to bore sight. I am convinced the problem is with the scope, but am also convinced that Sightron will deny any issues with it. I'm going to send it back, but don't expect much. I'm afraid I'm stuck with a $1000 paperweight. Oh well, I think I'll do a nice review video on you tube and run my bobcat over the scope at the end.

Have you tried any other scopes?

Dean

md80captain
    Yes my old scope worked fine.

Basic Member
    Have you actually fired the rifle to confirm impact actually meets boresite on this scope or is all this just from trying to boresite it?
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Quote Originally Posted by earl39 View Post
    Have you actually fired the rifle to confirm impact actually meets boresite on this scope or is all this just from trying to boresite it?
    Actually that is not a bad idea, fire off a round and get an actual reading on where you stand.

Dean

md80captain
    Yes I have and could not get on paper at 25 yards. I did just try something else however, I put another 30 mm scope I had laying around on it just now and I don't know if coincidence or not, but the crosshairs were also low and right. Now I'm back to wondering if it's something else. I'm going to take all my crap out to the range and try one more time at like 15 feet or something so I can at least get on paper I hope.

Basic Member
    Yes I have and could not get on paper at 25 yards. I did just try something else however, I put another 30 mm scope I had laying around on it just now and I don't know if coincidence or not, but the crosshairs were also low and right. Now I'm back to wondering if it's something else. I'm going to take all my crap out to the range and try one more time at like 15 feet or something so I can at least get on paper I hope.
    yep now we are looking at a possible mounting problem or could be you have one of the rifles that made it out of the factory that is for some reason way off and the SWFA scope had enough adjustment you just didn't know something was wrong.

I know what's going on your action may be twisted, this is how to check this, install the scope and tighten everything down. then remove the scope at the bases "keep the rings on the scope" and then set the scope on a flat surface like a counter top, and see if both ring sit flat on the surface, or if they rock from side to side, it happens more often than you think, get back to me on this.

Dean

md80captain
    I have a one piece base

Basic Member
    I have a one piece base
    When you installed the base did you check to make sure it mated to the receiver correctly? As in place the forward most screw in and just snug it down and look to make sure the base fit good and snug and then do the same with just the rear most screw before firmly attaching it. This is done with just one screw in the base at a time.
    If it doesn't fit snug both ways the receiver or the base is warped a little and a little can go a long way in making a scope look bad.
    Last edited by earl39; 04-19-2015 at 04:16 PM. Reason: added info

md80captain
    Quote Originally Posted by earl39 View Post
    When you installed the base did you check to make sure it mated to the receiver correctly? As in place the forward most screw in and just snug it down and look to make sure the base fit good and snug and then do the same with just the rear most screw before firmly attaching it. This is done with just one screw in the base at a time.
    If it doesn't fit snug both ways the receiver or the base is warped a little and a little can go a long way in making a scope look bad.

The way I installed it (the base) initially was to attach the front first (on the round part of the receiver) with a layer of JB weld under the rear (flat part) of the receiver with the screws in loose on the rear.
    After JB weld set up then tightened rear screws. Part of the problem was attaching the front first. I have since removed the base and attached the rear (on the flat part) and then filled the front. This has cured the elevation issue, but I still have a severe windage issue. By using maximum adjustment of the rings I am able to get the crosshairs centered now (by boresighting), but am using up most of my right windage adjustment to do so. I'm going to take it out to the range tomorrow and see just how actually shooting does. I'm confident that I'm at least on the paper for now with the eyeball boresighting.

Bottom line: it really sucks that this scope only has 50 MOA total adjustment. Somehow I missed that when I was doing research on the thing. Really should be more like 150 MOA. Now I wish I had ordered the mil-dot reticle cause now I'm just guessing if I have to hold over. Anyway, we'll see how the range session goes. Probably gonna put this thing on Ebay here pretty soon and look at something else.

md80captain
    Something else to mention. The 30mm Zee rings only come with +/- 10 or 0 inserts. If they had the +/- 20 for the 30 like the 1" rings I'd be in good shape. That being said, depending on what happens at the range tomorrow, there is one more thing I can do. That is put a shim under one side of the mount to correct windage. I would use JB weld as filler as before. I should be able to make any further corrections this way. I'm guessing what was said earlier is likely correct, my receiver is twisted.

md80captain
    Range report: Took it out and was quite surprised how close my bore sighting was. All said and done I have it on the center of the target at 100 yards with MAXIMUM offset of the zee rings (20MOA) and about 12-14 MOA left windage adjustment from the turrets. Bummer is I only have about 10 MOA of additional left adjustment available. I might go ahead and live with it for now, but it does bother me. The only kosher way I can see to finally solve the windage problem would be to machine a little tilt into the bottom of my base.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast