Thread: Newbie Stevens 200 ?

Basic Member

Newbie Stevens 200 ?

I can purchase a Stevens 200 action with a "4.25" screw spacing and top bolt release. According to what I can find on here that model has the staggered blind magazine. I'd like to purchase a new Boyds stock and convert it to either a hinged floor plate or DBM (not large capacity). It this feasible or should I look for a different action?

Basic Member
    My Stevens 200 is a 4.40" spacing.. I'm not an expert on what models are what, but just be sure to actually measure the spacing yourself so you're sure about what you have...

Options for bottom metal are limited with the stagger feed.

Basic Member
    Honestly, I'd say go elsewhere. I have converted 6 LA s/f blind mags to the old style DBM (has a mag release button in the side of the stock) and it is no easy task. Toughest part is finding the bottom metal. Then I had to do some grinding and cutting of the bottom of the action to make the mag and/or box fit properly. A lot of work. THey turned out really nice, but, honestly, when I was done I did not have anything all that special. Nice, but it would have been so much easier to start with a CF s/a. The only reason I did it was I had found some nice walnut stocks with cut checkering that used the old style DBM and expected it to be an easier task than it tuned out to be. If you can find the bottom metal and mag it might be worth doing, but don't buy the action or rifle first, thinking you will get the other parts later, 'cuz you might never find those parts.

Honestly, I'd say go elsewhere.
    +1.

Basic Member
    The only real way for DBM on a 4.25 action is CDI. Hinged floor plate is pretty much out of the question without serious mods to the action.
    CDI offers their bottom for SF actions. You can have them inlet the stock also and it's free for them to do it.

If you are wanting to do some real custom work, take a Boyds CF SA stock with factory bottom inlet, go with CDI bottom for 4.25 and relocate the front pillar to the 4.25 location. 5 round mags are about equal to bottom of trigger guard.

Without a doubt getting a CF SA will be the absolute best and easiest way to go with DBM or HFP.

Basic Member
    This action is still okay to build a blind mag rifle on or are the center feed 4.4" spacing actions better for that as well? Maybe I'll build the same rifle with a blind mag.

Basic Member
    Oh, if you want a blind mag, there's no reason I can think of to go any other route. Those are fine actions. It all comes down to price. If you can get it for around $200 you are probably golden. Any more then I would look for a newer CF with Accutrigger .

Basic Member
    I agree with foxx.

SF actions are my choice for blind mag rifles. Price will be what its about with the Stevens.
    Trigger upgrade will probably be needed.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clintsrv View Post
    The only real way for DBM on a 4.25 action is CDI. Hinged floor plate is pretty much out of the question without serious mods to the action.
    CDI offers their bottom for SF actions. You can have them inlet the stock also and it's free for them to do it.

If you are wanting to do some real custom work, take a Boyds CF SA stock with factory bottom inlet, go with CDI bottom for 4.25 and relocate the front pillar to the 4.25 location. 5 round mags are about equal to bottom of trigger guard.

Without a doubt getting a CF SA will be the absolute best and easiest way to go with DBM or HFP.
    So will the CDI bottom metal work without mods to the action for a s/f action 4.2 spacing?
    I also have a model 11 s/f action which I may also go this route if the CDI bottom metal fits with a Boyds C/F stock top bolt release.
    Are these 4.2 spacing?
    Would this work?
    Thanks

Basic Member
    Check out the FAQ's section of this site for comprehensive articles abut the different factory magazine configurations and action lengths.

example: http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...Action-Lengths

Once you've done so, you'll have a better idea of what you have and better understand what the suppliers of aftermarket stocks and mags, bottom metal, etc. are offering.

Basic Member
    CDI bottom that is designed for SF works just fine. The stock has to be inlet though. No mods needed to action.

I've had no problems fitting CDI bottoms in the factory CF Savage DBM/HFP inlet. Only minor fitting was required on wood stocks and was a drop in on HS Precision/ Manners stocks. If you use a CF stock you'll just have to relocate front pillar. Not a big deal on front.

CF SA 4.40
    SF SA 4.27

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Check out the FAQ's section of this site for comprehensive articles abut the different factory magazine configurations and action lengths.

example: http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...Action-Lengths

Once you've done so, you'll have a better idea of what you have and better understand what the suppliers of aftermarket stocks and mags, bottom metal, etc. are offering.
    Thanks, I understand and have done that, but looking at Boyds web site it is not very clear about DBM STOCKS left handed as they all state 4.4 spacing LEFT HAND STOCK/ LEFT HAND BOLT.
    The only way I can see it be done is buy a blind mag stock top bolt realease and have it inlet ed from CDI or do it yourself.
    But I cant even find a boyds LEFT HAND STOCK LEFT HAND BOLT in 4.2 spacing.
    The other way maybe was there was another bottom metal that did both 4.2 and 4.4 spacing with an off set front action screw that could be either spacing.
    http://atlasworxs.com/cart/index.php...d&productId=28
    Last edited by Doon; 03-29-2015 at 11:40 PM.

Basic Member
    They do not make stocks for the old style dbm (Stagger feed Detachable box mag). If you look at the artcle for DBM's http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...gazine-Systems you'll see how these were designed. Actually, no one made stocks for the old style DBM's, even when they were in production. That is why most shooters then opted for blind mag configuration. I have not followed / studied Clint's suggestion above well enough to advise about CDI. He is far more knowledgeable than I, though.

I can say this, if you already had the SF S/A and had some sentimental attachment to it for some reason, it sounds like it would be possible to d what you're asking, but not really worth the effort or expense, in my opinion. It is a fine action for blind mag set-up, but not for DBM. I know, b/c I have done it.

As for Boyds and left hand stocks, you need to call them. I don't think their new site makes it clear what all of their left handed options are. I know I had them make left hand stocks for right hand actions and they are nice, but I don't see as many of these on their new site. I don't understand why they would stop making them. As for left hand actions on left hand stocks, there never were a lot of options for that, either.

Bottom line is this: Don't try to make a sf into a DBM. There's no point. They aren't any cheaper than CF's, not any better, either, so why try to make it something no one really supports?
    Last edited by foxx; 03-29-2015 at 11:58 PM.

Basic Member
    Another way to go about this is to look for a Boyds stock that you think you'd like, and then see what actions it is made for. Then search for used actions of that type. Keep in mind all blind mag actions S/f flat back, c/f round back, c/f flat back, short or long are pretty much of the same quality and price. You might find someone willing to sell you one real cheap, but that does not change the actual/practical value. The other consideration is the trigger. If it comes with an Accutrigger, it is usually considered to be worth $75-100 more than one with an old style trigger. I usually buy older, pre-accutrigger actions b/c I prefer aftermarket triggers and they generally cost about $100. So... take that into consideration...

Action with accutrigger, no bottom metal: $300
    Action without Accutrigger, no bottom metal: $200.
    Bottom metal and accessories(trigger guard, mag, mag frame, etc.) will affect the value differently.

Again, find a stock that suits you, then look for an actin that will fit the stock. Don't worry about s/f or c/f as long as it matches what the stock is designed for.

I hope that helps.

Basic Member
    OKAY, now, after looking at CDI, I can see they make the sf s/a dbm bottom metal for the DBM, it is $209. Next you need a $90 Mag. Total: $300. Buy a sf s/a blind mag stock and sent it to them to inlet for their bottom metal. (other than shipping, no charge).

Now you gotta consider is it worth $300 for your application? maybe it is , maybe it isn't. These are usually for tactical rigs. I would not pay that much for a hunting rig, the factory DBM's are much cheaper ad readily available and more suitable for hunting, in my opinion, b/c they are flush to the stock.

Basic Member
    Thanks for your reply Fox, but I live on the other side of the World (New Zealand )
    Getting parts here are hard to find and not cheap.With ITAR regulations it makes it very difficult to import stuff now.
    I may just stay with the sf, Im building a 6.5 grendel so wont be changing it until I see how it shoots.
    Being born with the devils hand does not help also.

Basic Member
    Don't feel bad Doon. I live in Canada which might as well be New Zealand. I paid $300 for my Savage which is $100 more than suggested by others on here but that's not bad up here. I'll have to think about what I want to do; sell it or keep it. I'd sooner have the detachable mag or hinged floor plate but selection isn't all the great up here as I have been looking for an action or cheap donor rifle for awhile now.

By the way, thanks to all for answering my question. Much appreciated.
    Last edited by deertroy1; 03-30-2015 at 07:25 AM.

Basic Member
    Oh. Well. That certainly changes things.

For the life of me I could not figure why you were so eager to make it work!

Basic Member
    X2 Foxx. Selection is but a fraction of what is available south of our border and if something is found expect to pay!!