Thread: duramaxx for 10 with heavy recoil lug

catfish

duramaxx for 10 with heavy recoil lug

I need another stock for my model 16 that has 28" varmint barrel(lothar walther) and heavier than stock lug.
    Wondering if the barrel channel is going to be big enough thought i had heard some guys having to sand them even with a heavy barrel stock?
    Secondly is the recoil lug, i have a thicker than stock recoil lug and i dont want to have it not fit, is there clearance?
    My stock flexes bad even just holding the gun, wondering if i can do with the duramaxx or need a better stock than that.

dcloco

Re: duramaxx for 10 with heavy recoil lug

What is the dimension of the barrel? Is it a straight shank or tapers from x.x to .xx?

I have a 10 FP with TONS of room around the barrel. As far as "thicker" recoil lugs. The rear-most edge isn't going to be different, and there is nothing on the other side to cause interferance.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

I have found the the Duramax has a smaller channel than a factory 10fp stock, and even my factory varmint barrel is very close to rubbing the side. Your LW barrel varmint barrel should be a little thicker than a factory Savage so it me rub if you dont sand the channel a bit. My LW barrel was .840@ muzzle, compared to .805 on my factory barrel. As a comparison, my Mcgowen barrel with the same contour as my LW was would not fit in the duramax without sanding.

As for the lug area, it will probably need widened to fit a SSS lug but Im not 100% sure. I believe Pahog just had to widen his to fit a SSS lug in it cause the stocked was tapered in in that area. Maybe he'll see this thread and comment on it.

The Duramax is a very nice stock for the money, and is a nice upgrade over the factory stock. Sanding the barrel channel isnt a big deal cause it wont need much, and you just put a little clear over where you sanded afterwards so it matches. The lug area can be more tricky if not careful, but bedding the lug while youre at it is the best way to do it.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

catfish

I got my duramax tonight and both bolt holes are just off enough that the mounting screws dont want to start, doh.
    The barrel channel is a tad to small for my Lothar walther barrel but irrelevant because of the fit of the stock.