Thread: model 11 ejection problems

grumpy

model 11 ejection problems

So i bought my Savage on Monday and today i had to take it back for repair. I had mentioned on here earlier that i stopped ejecting dummy rounds well today i cleaned it up and did a function test on it. And guess what it stopped ejecting everything,so is this a common problem with Savage or did i just get a Monday gun. First problem i had the rings were bad then the rebate codes would not work know this. I hoping Savage has good customer service.

Basic Member
    Is the rifle not releasing the round from the bolt face or just dropping it in the chamber? If dropping in the chamber, remove the extractor (see the "how to" tutorial on this site) and polish/lube the edges where the extractor contacts the bolt face. Or replace the detent ball under the extractor with a .140" (9/64) ball and that will solve the issue. This is very common with savage actions.

grumpy
    Quote Originally Posted by hafejd30 View Post
    Is the rifle not releasing the round from the bolt face or just dropping it in the chamber? If dropping in the chamber, remove the extractor (see the "how to" tutorial on this site) and polish/lube the edges where the extractor contacts the bolt face. Or replace the detent ball under the extractor with a .140" (9/64) ball and that will solve the issue. This is very common with savage actions.
    It will extract it out of the camber but it won't throw the round it just sits on the mag. I had Cabelas send it to Savage ,I'm not confident enough in my skills working a bolt gun to try it my self. I hope this won't be an issue i'll have to deal with all the time. Thank you for the input i will definitely look at the tutorial.

Basic Member
    Sounds like it's what I was suggesting. If you look on this forum you will find the directions on how to remove the extractor. Do what I suggested, if your comfortable, and I bet it will fix it

Basic Member
    They'll fix it. It's not a rare problem, which stinks, but they are easily fixed.

Don't let yourself get discouraged. Savage is inexpensive, but they are shooters. Sometimes there's issues, but they're worth addressing.

thomae
    It could be that you turned your bolt head 180 degrees when you reassembled after cleaning.
    It's happened once to just about everyone at some point.
    The ejector needs to be on the side away from the ejection port, otherwise it "ejects the spent brass into the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    1) It's not a rare problem, which stinks, but they are easily fixed.
    2) Savage is inexpensive.
    3)Sometimes there's issues.
    Fixed Foxx's post for him. :)
    This has been the case for the past 20 years I've fooled with them.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

grumpy
    Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    It could be that you turned your bolt head 180 degrees when you reassembled after cleaning.
    It's happened once to just about everyone at some point.
    The ejector needs to be on the side away from the ejection port, otherwise it "ejects the spent brass into the chamber.
    No it's all correct ,myself and the boy's at cabelas took a look and it's the extractor. So off she goes for repair.

grumpy
    I want to thank everyone for the input. I was felling a bit put off by Savage ,but she does shoot very well I'm hoping when the repair is done that will be the end of. And from what you all are saying that's probably going to be the outcome.