Thread: Clicks for my model 10 .308

sealteam10

Clicks for my model 10 .308

I am wondering what the number of clicks will be when moving yardage from the following.

100-200

200-300

300-400

400-500

500-600

I have a model 10 with an aftermarket brake, I'm shooting 168 Sierra bthp's and using a leupold vx3 8.5x25x50 wtih 1/4 clicks??

Basic Member
    What's your muzzle velocity?
    As a WAG, with a 100yd zero, I'd say
    Up 11 clicks to 200 from zero
    Up 22 clicks to 300 from zero
    400 I don't have data
    Up 50 clicks to 500 from zero.

This is my data, for my load in my rifle with a Redfield 2-7x scope.
    Yours will be different, but it should at least get you on paper. After that I'd say you're on your own!

Basic Member
    Minutes? Mills? Muzzle volicity? How many inches is your scope above center bore. Even air density and how far above sea level all can affect it. Clicks is not an unit of measure.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxn316 View Post
    Minutes? Mills? Muzzle volicity? How many inches is your scope above center bore. Even air density and how far above sea level all can affect it. Clicks is not an unit of measure.
    Sure it is, its 1/4 inch at 100 yds in his case. Its an old way of referring to adding elevation, which is still used by lots of people.
    Whatever works, works. It would be advisable in my opinion to learn to use minits or mills rather than counting clicks, but again, it works.
    And i never knew anybody dumb enough to stand there and count say 110 clicks. If the scope has 50 clicks per full rev, ite 2 full turns and count to 10.
    Or if its 95 clicks, 2 full turns and back off 5. Not a bad system once your used to doing it.

Basic Member
    ^^^^
    To add to what yobuck said if it is 1/4 clicks then it is in minutes cause i ain't never seed no magnifiying looking piece with a x in it on a rifle that was 4 clicks to a mil. that would be almost 1 inch per click being as a mill is 3.6 inches approx.

To the OP
    Your adjustments will depend on velocity so without knowing what it is all anyone can do is give you a best guess.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Since you are looking at Midrange I would expect you to be pushing the projectiles at something near or above 2650FPS. This is not for bulls eye but as a reference to start your learning process. Your data is vague.
    I,m going to use .45 as your G1 BC just to average. 2650 MV

To get you on paper you need (all clicks are from 100yd zero)

200 - 2.0 moa or 8 clicks
    300 - 4.9 moa or 19 clicks
    400 - 8.2 moa or 32 clicks
    500 - 12.0 moa or 48 clicks
    600 - 16.2 moa or 65 clicks

There a lot of variables especially when it comes determining BC with regards to calculating multiple distances and velocities. Use that to get on target. Wind will be another variable to add to the equation. when you get zeroed make a chart so you know what your rifle does. Design your loads at the longest distance you can. A 100 yd load is meaningless. We/you can modify these tables if you know you MV.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Sure it is, its 1/4 inch at 100 yds in his case. Its an old way of referring to adding elevation, which is still used by lots of people.
    Whatever works, works. It would be advisable in my opinion to learn to use minits or mills rather than counting clicks, but again, it works.
    And i never knew anybody dumb enough to stand there and count say 110 clicks. If the scope has 50 clicks per full rev, ite 2 full turns and count to 10.
    Or if its 95 clicks, 2 full turns and back off 5. Not a bad system once your used to doing it.
    indeed.

bflee
    A click is a unit of measure.
    Bad news it can be 1/4" at 100 yards, 0.36" at 100 yards or 1000 meters!
    Best thing you can do without a chrono is put it on at 100. Shoot it at 200 and measure the drop. Put information in a ballistics calculator and change velocity until it matches.
    It will give you the rest. I did that for a long time.

using a leupold vx3 8.5x25x50 wtih 1/4 clicks??
    Interestingly enough he posted that his scope is 1/4moa clicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Interestingly enough he posted that his scope is 1/4moa clicks.
    Indeed

Seeing as how you asked for clicks?...this is what I've come up without having all input data needed. Won't have an explanation as to the who's and whys but from what I gather, your in the process of learning ballistics. Its not rocket science, really it's pretty straight up once you understand it. There's a lot of info out there and once you get it you'll realize just how easy it really is.
    Its interesting as to what everyone has come up with. Everybody's using a more or less factor which is what I'm doing.
    100 - zero
    200/ 7 clicks
    300/17 clicks
    400/30 clicks
    500/43 clicks
    ...sorry no 600.

As I mentioned, not going into detail because there's easier ways, I've simply tried to answer your question.

pitsnipe
    Quote Originally Posted by bflee View Post
    A click is a unit of measure.
    Bad news it can be 1/4" at 100 yards, 0.36" at 100 yards or 1000 meters!
    Best thing you can do without a chrono is put it on at 100. Shoot it at 200 and measure the drop. Put information in a ballistics calculator and change velocity until it matches.
    It will give you the rest. I did that for a long time.

The most BASIC of ways to "verify and or qualify" muzzle velocity. One, of the many important ingredients missing from your question i.e. barrel length (likely 24" if stock), twist rate (likely 1-10 if stock). As eddie pointed out, it sounds like you are starting to learn ballistics. And, as he mentioned, once you wrap your mind around the many factors (i.e. ingredients) this WILL be a piece of CAKE to you in no time. Happy to help more when you know the drop at 200 (or longer to more accurately verify MV) and the other parts to your question.
    Good luck, and good shootin

Snipe

Basic Member
    So now that several people have given you at least close information, just go shoot your gun with your load at each of those distances to confirm.
    Adjust accordingly if necessary and you will have your (click chart)

Luke45