Thread: 7-08 Bullet weight for deer?

Basic Member

7-08 Bullet weight for deer?

Hey,

So for those of you who hunt with a 7-08, which bullet weight do you prefer for deer? I prefer TSX or TTSX bullets, which lean towards lighter weights and higher velocities, but I am open to any suggestions. I feel that a 140 TSX at 2850 might be too heavy and too slow to make use of the possible velocity and penetration of the TSX bullet. The last deer I shot with a Barnes product died instantly. A 150gr TTSX at 2950FPS out my my 308 at 35 yards dropped him like a bolt from the blue. Let me know what you think about lighter bullets in the 7-08.
    --SRS

I'm using the 140 TSX in both my Contender and XP100 chambered in 7TC/U. I have no issues with bullet performance, even at my lower velocities.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Well he would have dropped just as fast had he been hit well with a 100 gr from a 243 also at 35 yds.
    In my opinion the 140 would be the best all round choice for the 7/08 unless the intended use is open country hunting or varmits.
    Even there it would be better due to higher bc. Id be using 140s in the 7/08 and 165/175s in the 308.

Team Savage
    A 120 or 140 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip is plenty of bullet for deer.

Team Savage
    For what its worth i shoot 140 accubonds and havent had a single problem

140 TTSX, 46-46.5 grains (sweet spot) of Big Game, Federal 210 primers with a 2.750" O.A.L works well.

Shot placement is king for every caliber!

Luke45
    Deer don't wear body armor!

Sagerat at you hunting blacktails ?

Basic Member
    Hey Luke,

Yes I am hunting blacktails. I live just a loud shout north of the Kalifornia border in southern Oregon. Terrain varies from woods to open rolling hills with shots ranging from point blank to 300 yards. I want to get out to the eastern side of the state and get some Mule deer action, but I need to do more research into good areas to hunt over there before I pack the Winnebago.

I just bought a Savage lighweight hunter in 7-08 which is perfect for walking around down here. Our season starts the end of September when daytime temps are commonly in the 70's and 80's. Season ends early November by which time it starts to get cooler.

--SRS

What is your twist rate? 9 or 11.xx?

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by sageratslayer View Post
    Hey Luke,

Yes I am hunting blacktails. I live just a loud shout north of the Kalifornia border in southern Oregon. Terrain varies from woods to open rolling hills with shots ranging from point blank to 300 yards. I want to get out to the eastern side of the state and get some Mule deer action, but I need to do more research into good areas to hunt over there before I pack the Winnebago.

I just bought a Savage lighweight hunter in 7-08 which is perfect for walking around down here. Our season starts the end of September when daytime temps are commonly in the 70's and 80's. Season ends early November by which time it starts to get cooler.

--SRS
    I used to hunt blacktails alot around roseberg before i move to WYO. Seen at least 20 blacktails die from a .308 125 sierra prohunter, those blacktails die easy! a 140 should be be absolutley no problem and should be point blank out to 300 yards

Basic Member
    Hey,

Now that I'm settled on the 140's, I am beginning load development. Much like the rest of the country, powders are limited here. I have some H380, W760 and W748, now I need to build up some loads for the rifle. So far the lighweight hunter has shown OK accuracy at 100 yards... it tends to heat up quick with the light barrel, but the first 3 shot groups are 1". After that, all bets are off! I have noticed some wild differences with powders.... 748 and 760 will shoot 6" different POI vertically, both with similar velocities (2850fps averages). Very strange. They hold tight groups, just wildly different POI. Any ideas?

--SRS

I would start with seating depths.

PS: Primers can also make a difference.
    Last edited by TXCOONDOG; 03-01-2015 at 06:10 PM.

Watch those ball powders if you work up loads during cooler/cold weather and then shoot them when it's warmer during the summer, you can end up with some hot loads. Three shot groups are OK. Just let your barrel cool before trying another test load. I clean my barrel between test loads so conditions are the same shooting from a cold clean bore just like during a hunt.

There's not much you can do about the changes in POI unless you work up your loads to hit same POI but that will give you totally different velocities for each powder/bullet used. In the long run, work up your hunting loads with one bullet weight and powder charge to make things easy on yourself. Keep good loading and range notes for future reference and you can easily make scope adjustments based on your records.