Please dont laugh. Stupid question here.

Say I had a 40" barrel. I dont..mine is 24". But lets say mine is 40". Do I laser 100 yards from my muzzle?..or scope objective. Muzzle, right?

Now, lets say I want to do a NON shooting tracking test of my new scope. I have a large grid set up with three horizonal lines 18" apart and a stick on yellow circle in the center of each line. Here, just look at this:

http://heelsandhandguns.com/2013/11/...g-rifle-scope/

Instructions say to actually use a 100 yard tape or a 100 foot tape three times from the scope objective lens to the target. Right? So I do the test and all checks out. Now when I actually go to shoot I need to move the target back X number of feet so it is now 100 yards measured from the MUZZLE.

The scope is going to track a bit different now since the target is 303 feet past the target. This has got to be insignificant right? Or not? Since my barrel is 24" the difference between muzzle and objective is about 1.5 feet. Does that distance ever become a factor? Probably not since I have not even seen this idea addressed. Just wondering.

They call it PRECISION Long Range Rifle. Guys measure hand loads (bullet seating, neck trimming etc) to .001". You know what I mean....
We are talking feet of target vs muzzle vs scope objective discrepancy that we just pretend doesnt exist?

So, why dont I just use my Nikon laser range finder to measure out the all the test distances? The cost and hassle of a tape hardly seems worth it. or are the distances really critical for what I want to do...down to factions of a foot?

Off topic but related a bit:
My scope has a measly 7 mils UP travel so I really dont need that giant piece of plywood. Seven mils x 3.6= 25.2"
So, say a 30" x 30" cardboard with a grid in portable Birchwood Casey holder.

In any event this method of tracking testing seems to work quite well. They found one Leupold of theirs that was a good bit off and Leupold agreed and repaired it.