Thread: 1st Savage Build Thread with a "who makes this".....

Basic Member

1st Savage Build Thread with a "who makes this".....

Well I've wanted to dive into the savage addict world and now I have. I just got a great deal on a 110 in 270, accutrigger, side feed. I have a Rem 270 that I just rebarreled and is now waiting for the ceracoat to dry so my plan is to put a 7-08 barrel on this savage (I need one, been aching for one since I sold the last one). Here it is as purchased:

So, I'm off to find a barrel in 7-08 for it. Also, I need help. I ran across this extended baffle for a long action so that the throw isn't as long when running a SA caliber. Can anyone point me to where to find one? I know it's not critical, but it would be nice.

Also, can I just put a SA follower/spring in this, machine an aluminum block to fit in the rear of the mag and make it better yet with that small mod? I assuming this has been done before by someone.

One last thing, the stock on these, how are they? It actually seems fairly rigid and has pillars. Does have lots of unsightly seems showing from the molds.
    Thanks for the input in advance!
    Last edited by natesatt; 03-25-2015 at 09:38 AM.

Basic Member
    I just realized that I put this in the wrong spot. Is there a way I can move it to the build thread area?

Basic Member
    Mis-posted

Basic Member
    Any help on running a short caliber (7mm-08 or 308) on a long(110) action?

This is done all of the time feeding from a 270/30-06 mag. It is not optimal but is perfectly functional. No reason to use the extended front baffle. Ditch that idea and get something that will make a positive impact.

Basic Member
    I tested it a little with some empty 7-08 and 243 brass. The 7-08 seemed to do o.k. some of the time. The 243 brass wanted to nose dive back into the box. This of course may change with a bullet seated in the case.

Has anyone done a mod to the box (like an aluminum insert)? Also, the lips on the box only go about half the length of the box and if I put the empty shells forward a bit they almost always don't want to feed.

Just looking for ideas...

I think the feed lips are too short to do what you are suggesting. I may be wrong, I have never had one but I thought the SF Long Actions with 308 based cartridges from the factory had a special magazine with extended feed lips. A subject matter expert will get to you tomorrow I'm sure.

Mock up a cartridge without powder or primer and see how it works. Had a long action 308 center feed as my first build. It worked flawlessly.

Team Savage
    natesatt, your spending way to much time thinking about this. A Savage LA makes the perfect switch barrel rifle. Just screw on a 7mm-08 barrel, load up some 7mm08 ammo and give it a try. The 7mm08 round should feed fine with LA magazine and follower you have. And you'll be able to seat bullets long for maximum case capacity. You don't need the extended front baffle.

Basic Member
    Ok. So I loaded some dummy rounds. They work fine. FWIW, I did find that eabaco seems to be the place to get the ext. baffle. Now the wait for the barrel to arrive...should be here by the end of next week.

I have 3 long actions 7mm08 with stock bolts, all work fine.
    GLC

Basic Member
    Thanks, mousemotors. I'm past the baffle search part. I'm not worried about it now. I'm trying to figure out what to do about a recoil lug. I want to put a better one on there when I put it all together. Many/most places are out of them. I'm going to keep looking and maybe get lucky with someone that has an extra one sitting around.

BTW, love the 7-08!
    Last edited by natesatt; 03-29-2015 at 12:28 AM.

Basic Member
    Call Jim at Northland Shooter supply I just spoke with him the other day and I'm pretty sure he has some recoil lugs in stock.

Basic Member
    So, I've been looking at stocks. Any real world opinions on this choate: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/880...k#ReviewHeader? Seems fairly inexpensive. I hear lots of good about the discontinued DuraMaxx by B&C. Don't know that I'll find one however.

I'm open to ideas. I'd like to keep it light, and more a hunter/varmint style with a flatter fore end.

Thanks.

Basic Member
    Update. I have a 24" McGowen barrel for it. I got a 1st rate lug and nut from Jim at NSS. I just ordered a Boyds Pro Varmint pepper laminate stock for it as well. I'm hoping to have it all together by the end of May.