Thread: Bushnell Elite Tactical G2 FFP Reticle ERS Riflescope, 6-24x50mm

BigDave

Bushnell Elite Tactical G2 FFP Reticle ERS Riflescope, 6-24x50mm

Anybody have one? I had to return my $450.00 Falcon Menace 5.5-25x50mm 30mm tube scope because of tracking issues with the Chinese erector set. No surprise there. Maybe a little. It gets QC'd in England then SWFA supposedly QC's it too. That's a topic for a whole other thread.
    I also hated the 10mil turrets. You needed a magnifying glass to see the .1 mil lines. There was no mark at .5 mils so it was next to impossible for me to see exactly how many mils were dialed in. Even with my 2.75 readers, the turret hash marks sucked. Rant over.

Back to the Bushnell. This scope is easily DOUBLE my budget. But I was done with budget scopes. This scope was $941 even on Amazon. I wanted the Prime shipping but had to pay a huge $50 dollar premium for tax. Apparently the shipping warehouse is in Florida. I have a sinking feeling SWFA will never refund my total shipping cost either of another 50usd. Yes I am out a whopping amount of shipping and tax $$ due to not buying quality the first time out.

I will start another thread on "Buy Once, Cry Once vs Buy Twice, Cry Twice" I am the poster child for that this month.
    No regrets. No sour grapes. It happens. Good news! I am VERY much looking forward to the Bushy 6-24x50 and doing hold overs using the excellent G2 reticle.

Please guys, dont turn this into a FFP vs SFP thread. Been there. Done that. I just want to get feedback on anyone who does or or who has owned this scope.

Yes, I know the HDMR 3.5-21x50 with the 34mm tube is awesome. I could not swing it. next time.I can put up with a 6x power as the minimum power,,,for now. Thieir new TE ERS scope is supposed to be even better at a price point of 1.5k. GA Precision rifles uses the 34mm tube Bushnells exclusively now. They did an awesome demonstration in tow videos of the precise hold over capabilities of the same reticle that I now own,....the G2DMR. Supposedly the owner of GAP worked with Bushnell to actually develop this reticle.

Yes, I know hold-overs and reticles mean little to the way some shoot. I respect that. But it works for my needs.
    FYI: Bushnell has a new Tactical Elite ERS scope out in 3.5-21x50mm with a 34mm tube that is supposed to really be close to top tier for around $1.6.

D.ID
    Have several of there predecessors in mil dot and love them. They have really bean good to me.......exceptional even.
    The G2 can only make them better.

BigDave
    Quote Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
    Have several of there predecessors in mil dot and love them. They have really bean good to me.......exceptional even.
    The G2 can only make them better.
    Sounds like I have it made in the shade. I thought I was sooo smart buying much cheaper mid evel scope. That was a humbling "fail" that certainly stung me....financially too. I had to return it due to tracking issues.

I finished my second round of crying (Cry Twice) . Now, I am just pretty excited to be getting a name brand with apparently a pretty loyal following. I am not saying Vortex isn't good too. But the Viper PST was more expensive. If I was going to spend even more (well, I wasnt) I would have gotten the Bushnell DMR or even the new ERS in a G2 reticle. Both of those scopes are less than 2k and have massive (I like) 34mm tubes.

I would have had to buy all new 34mm stuff like lapping bars, rings etc to support the bigger tube. That simply could not be the case.
    I will be happy, I hope with a pretty/very good first high power scope.

GA Precision has one of their young (that means GOOD eyesight!) shooters pick off 3 targets in mere seconds using ONLY the G2 reticle as a hold over device. Different directions too! 300, 500, and 800 steel torso....all first round hits. That was with the Bushy 3-21x50 DMR 34mm tube. That is getting much closer to top tier. It is the primary scope at GAP.
    IDK if its true. They claim the owner of GA Precision (George Gardner) helped Bushnell develop the G2 reticle.

G2 Reticle (aka G2DMR, GAP) – George Gardner, President/Senior Rifle Builder of GA Precision, helped develop this reticle. George is an accomplished shooter, and a perennial top 10 competitor in the Precision Rifle Series. So this is a mil-based, Christmas-tree style reticle designed by one of the most demanding shooters in the industry.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/tag/g2dmr-reticle/

I have that exact scope... What do you want to know? I have it on a Larue QD mount...

BigDave
    Quote Originally Posted by Digduggy View Post
    I have that exact scope... What do you want to know? I have it on a Larue QD mount...
    How long have you had it? Do you like/love it? Would you recommend this to a friend? Do you ever have the feeling you want to upgrade or are you happy for now and no plans to upgrade?

Let me start by saying that it is arguably a waste for me, but I am immortally glassy eyed and hope someday to find a longer range. I only shoot to 100 yards so this is way too much scope for me. That being said, I bought this with the hopes that It will last me a long time, warranty and all...

So far it has been a great scope, I don't have anything bad to say about it. I swap it between two rofles and I think I had some growing pains early on that I needed to tighten up all the connections, but I think the QD was more to blame.

I got it for around 700 iirc. So at that price it is unbeatable.

I have had it for 6 months now

I had the Elite 4200 Tactical 6-24x FFP mildot version...great scope.

If you're seriously interested, buy from Liberty Optics, their price (once you add it to the cart) is the very best you will find and shipping is free.

BigDave
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    I had the Elite 4200 Tactical 6-24x FFP mildot version...great scope.

If you're seriously interested, buy from Liberty Optics, their price (once you add it to the cart) is the very best you will find and shipping is free.
    Cool. your scope is discontinued now. It is the predecessor to mine. It came at a great price point and was and is considered a great scope. Bushnell addressed some customer complaints with the newer 'ERS" version by taking the eye relief from 3" to 4". It is beefier by five ounces too. Mine weighe in at 27 oz vs 22oz. I paid a bit of a premium for all this PLUS the G2 DMR reticle. Bushnell know that this reticle is the most popular now and tends to charge more for it over their Mildont and BT reticles.

Liberty doesnt stock this scope. Amazon does. Amazon is beating Liberty on most prices now and has a
    no questions asked" return policy. Just push a button and print out your return label. No messy RMA, phone calls, or being put on hold. It was a major hassle to me to return my Falcon Menace to SWFA. Their store is WAY out in the sticks. UPS whacked me with no less than TWO surcharges and jacked up the return shipping. I doubt I will ever get reimbursed for that even though the scope tracking was defective.

I learned....buy from Amazon when ever possible even if the price is slightly higher. I cant begin to tell you the luck I have had with Amazon and the hassles with other vendors. That's just me...and millions of others apparently.

Amazon is trying to institute ONE HOUR delivery (by truck, not drones..yet)on select items in metro areas. Whoo hoo!
    Hope my Seekins rings are here. They are due today too.

http://libertyoptics.com/contents/en-us/d8.html

Second item from the top.

I don't think Amazon is beating Scott's price on that scope (you have to Add to Cart to see the price)

Enjoy your purchase, I think it is a fine optic.

BigDave
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    http://libertyoptics.com/contents/en-us/d8.html

Second item from the top.

I don't think Amazon is beating Scott's price on that scope (you have to Add to Cart to see the price)

Enjoy your purchase, I think it is a fine optic.
    Ohh. I got confused on his website. I think he has a page listed as Bushnell SALE items. That is all I could find. My scope was not there.

Now that I see his price of $799. Sir, you did NOT make my day :). I paid a LOT more than that!!

Amazon was $887 with free two day prime shipping. The problem for me was the warehouse must have been In FL beacue I got whacked with $50 in taxes. Ouch....End result was a $940 shipped!!! I could have been at $890 shipped but I would have had to use a different dealer and watied a week instead of two days. My choice. I was REALLY tired of not being able to shoot my new Savage.

The whole issue revolved around me wasting precious time by buying a low quality scope ($450 FalconMenace) waiting a eek for that to get to me from Texas (SWFA) then discovering the tracking was totally whacked.
    SWFA INSISTED that all their scopes get QC'd and set to n=mechanical zero (mine was WAY off) etc. MY reiticle didnt even move for the last 2.5mils of travel.

So if SWFA doesnt refund my shipping thats another 50usd. My Bushenell effectively costs 1K.
    All my fault. I should have known better.
    hey, I things could be worse. I could be stuck with the Falcon!

BigDave
    Some initial findings on my scope. Not mounted yet, but I did a little QC of my own.

Bushnell advertises 70 inches of total elevation at 100 yards. That is the same a 19.444444 mil (70"/3.6"= mils)
    My counting showed that my elevation turret is actually set to true mechanical zero.

UP is 9.4 mils before the erector stops, DOWN is 9.5mils before the erector stops. Total is 18.9 mils. That is .5444444mils less than advertised.

John McQuay measured 19.1 mils total....(.3444 mils less than advertised)
    The total elevation is so low anyways I will need a canted rail to shoot past 800 yards. You dont want to shoot with your elevation jacked near its limits.

This is a very wimpy total elevation for a $1k scope. I can live with it, however. Not worried as long as what I DO have tracks accurately.
    I am not assuming that the reticle has full travel. I just have not checked that yet. I will check that tomorrow.

Windage mechanical zero was slightly off. RIGHT is 6.7 mils and LEFT is 6.4 Mils. That is .3 mils off mechanical zero. Not a deal breaker. I can re set that myself before I optically zero the scope (sight in at 100 yards)

I have pretty big hands. My next scope will have much large turrets. These seem quite small to my hand. But the clicks and action are 100X better than the Falcon. I think the Falcon's O rings were way over sized. VERY mushy. My Bushnell feels just fine.

I am a huge fan of Switchview cat tails. A shop a few blocks from here has a size that fits. But I need to mount the scope first and see if the Switchview clears the bolt when the action is cycled. It depends on my cheek weld. I give it a 50"50 chance of working right.

I think the 3" sunshade is a bit short.We have some wicked sun in the "Sunshine State" here in SFL. Even Bushnell doesn't sell sunshades. Its off to Bass Pro to see if any 4" or 5" of other brands will fit.

I have not really had a stable platform to look through the scope and study the clarity. I think all that will be fine. I am just gun shy on tracking issues. I will test all that carefully.
    I am happy with it so far. Pretty nice. I do have a twinge of buyers remorse for not getting the 34mm HDMR version. I simply could not swing it ($$$$$). Not now.
    What I have is a great "starter scope" It will be fine for a good while I imagine.

Optics planet, 799 and 10% off that, I paid 720 shipped

BigDave
    I lose the best shopper prize. You win that one hands down.

When was the 6-24 G2DMR priced at $799? And was the 10% off another promotion on top?

In the Fall... maybe end of season thing?

BigDave
    I got my Seekins rings finally today. Yes, they are awesome beyond belief in every detail. I can not begin to mention all the things that make these rings worth more than what I paid.

The 40 dollar Weaver Picatinny rings are being sent back.

The Seekins have a much more precise fit on my EGW rail with only .008 play before tightening. The Weaver cross bolts were a couple hundreds of an inch out of spec..a lot of slop.

Back to the scope. I am learning. Never loctite your rail screws until you test fit your scope and rings.
    The LOW Seekins provide ample clearance for the Bushnell objective on my 10 FCP-SR.....but I cannot slide the scope back far enough for proper eye relief/cheek weld. The swell of the "bell" hits the front part of my rail.
    Not to worry. All I need to do is remove the rail and use a Dremel wheel to remove some of the EGW rail that hangs over in the front...about 1.5cm or so.

Once that unneeded section is removed, contoured and painted black, the swell of the "bell" will not hit the rail and the scope can be slid back to give me perfect cheek weld. Height is perfect..I have maybe .20-.25 inch clearance of the barrel. My Triad Stock pack gives me perfect eye height.

I will eventually upgrade to a 15 MOA or a 20 MOA Ken Farrell rail. His rails do not have a front overhang. So no need for trimming.
    The cant of my next rail will depend on where optical zero is at 100 yards and how much elevation I have left for UP adjustments. I saw one Bushnell scope same as mine that ended up with only 7.5 mils UP elevation. It had 11 or so down adjustment. A 20 MOA rail would be in order if I end up with similar results.

I really like Ken Farrell. I had a fairly in depth chat with him on the phone. Great guy and a clever dedicated man with unique, rugged designs. All specially made in USA fasteners sourced from a plant in Illinois. The 6-48 screws have a nice T-15 socket instead of the tiny T-10 torx head. Same thread size, so they fit my OEM action threads fine.