Thread: Range finder.

Range finder.

I知 planning a South Dakota prairie dog hunt in June and have just begun dialing in my new model 12 FV in 204R. Seeing as how the 204 will reach out quite a bit further than my 17 hmr, I知 thinking a range finder purchase would be in order. It seems like the selection of these tools is mind numbing as are the number of features. I知 looking for some insight from the prairie dog exterminators here.
    Shoot straight & often!

I am not a prairy dog exterminator , but we do have woodchucks around here. I have been using a leica 1000 yard model for about 8 years now and love it. This is the older model, the "lrf" 1000". The optics , which i think is 7 power, is extremely clear. I can easily spot woodchucks at 700 yards.
    The biggest thing i tell anyone whom is looking to buy one is to get one with the scan function. Why ?? It is very hard to press the scan button and at the same time keeping the aiming point on the object that you are scanning. With the scan model, you press and hold the button, then you can much easier hold on your object in the field. I highly recommend a scan model. If you will be using it in fields that are fairly flat, i would mount it on something that will keep you steady, because if you miss your target when scanning and scan just over top of the critter, you may have a reading 10-20 yards farther than it actually is. That is not a big deal at 300 yards, but when you start to get out to 500 yards, your bullet is coming down at a steaper angle and that can mean a 4-5" differance at that distance.

The Leica are good, I had an older 1200 lrf. Right now I am using a Zeiss PRF, to my eyes the Zeiss has better optics than the Leica, at least they appear crisper to me. The new Leicas are smaller than the older lrfs, but optically are a bit better than the older ones. I still prefer my Zeiss.

Cheap rangefinders will work, but they will let you down at some point.

Basic Member
    Problem with most lazers is they arent reliable on longer distances. The very expensive ones like Vectrinix are the only exception.
    Of all the lower priced rangfinders, the Leica is probably the best. I have a Swarovski and would not reccomend that unit for reliable ranging
    beyond about 900 yds. It does work very well for me on prairie dogs but most of my shooting is under 700. The Bushnell also works well
    and is reasonably priced. A friend recently bought a 1500 yd model for about $300. The steadier you hold them the better the results.
    Mounting them on a tripod is the best, but thats a pain when shooting prairie dogs. Resting your elbows on the ground or a shooting bench
    works fine also. After a few hours shooting in a dog town you wont be using it much as you will pretty much memorize the distances.
    Same with dialing the scope as that becomes a pita also. For the most part holdovers work well after you get settled in.

BigDave
    Holy cow. I see Vectronix from 2k to 24k!

The video in link below is quite comprehensive and goes into a myriad of physics on how and why a laser range finder can falter/fail to return accurate information. Fascinating.

I was looking at the Bushnell 1600. I am liking the looks of the Zeis PRF. Next year...
    Right now I am doing the best I can with a 26 dollar mildot master and a G2 DMR mil reticle.

I am amazed at how close you can get to a good laser range with this method. Admittedly, it would be pretty hard to mil reticle range a 10-12" tiny mammal at great distance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_JZeW7Vtiw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-WNofGasFo

LongRange
    looks like the bushnell1600 is discontinued according to optics planet...i didnt look any farther...and the Zeis is $700 bucks. if your going to spend that much on a PLRF then id suggest you spend the other $150 or so and buy the leica 1600...i have one and can tell you ive range 3'x3' rocks at 1900yds 9 outta 10 times on an over cast day...same day ranged a horse at 1840yds 8 outta 10 times...in bright sun i can range an 18"x18" steel target at 1200yds holding the RF in my hands and 1500yds if supported every time...also there is a bldg to the south of my house i have ranged in bright sun,light rain,light snow and cloudy days and every time its 1796yds.
    the leica has the smallest beam deliverance of any PLRF under 1K and as you probable know when buying a PLRF you want the smallest beam you can afford.

Basic Member
    There are really only 2 good choices, the Leica or for those who can afford one the Vectrinix.
    There are others that work sometimes and sometimes not at the longer distances.
    Beam divergance is a major problem in some units including the Swarovski which i own.
    Ive been using very good military rangfinders for over 40 years. My main go to unit is still
    my ww2 military rangfinder whenever major distance is involved. I have a total of 3 of them,
    one is a very small Russian unit that is excellant to about 800 meters even though its rated for longer distance.
    The other 2 are a Barr&Stroud and a WILD. These 2 units are almost identicle as for looks and how they function.
    They weigh about 12/14 lb without the necessary tripod. Not a unit one would normally carry around while hunting.
    We have carried these units to remote walk to locations and taken ranges of various things which we recorded in a book.
    Thats a very good system for a hunter as it is very quick which is often important. Same thing could be acomplished by
    actualy shooting at various targets and keeping note of the amount of added elevation to the scope. These systems would
    work well for hunters set up on a permanant location. Prairie dog hunters for example could easily use this system without
    ever needing a rangfinder. For those who move about of coarse it would not work. Those are the ones best suited to lazers.
    All long range hunting in PA is done from fixed locations al least in the mountainous regions. As for ranging with a reticle,
    ive personaly attempted doing that numerous times using a dot. A 1 minit dot covers 1 inch at 100 yds and 10 inches at 1000 yds.
    If you knew the size of the target it would be very helpfull. Otherwise its not a very precise method in my experiences trying it.
    We (always) hunt as a team and use the spotter system. First off everybody has their own large tripod mounted binnoculars
    which we ues for hunting, meaning finding game. When an animal is spotted the person finding it gets the shot unless he chooses
    to give it to someone else. The others in the group become spotters for the shooter. I personaly feel strongly that this is the only
    system that should be used for hunting. A lone hunter/shooter cant possibly account for all that could happen when he shoots at an animal.
    With a good spotter, you could guess the distance and hit the target with very few bullets.

Basic Member
    Watch cameralandny.com for lieca demos or sales. I picked mine up dirt cheap

Thanks for the info folks. I'm still researching and your info has helped narrow down the choices!
    Shoot straight & often!