Thread: Hog Hunter Rear Iron In Way of Scope

Hog Hunter Rear Iron In Way of Scope

I’m about to purchase another rifle (different brand) where it is well known that a scope can interfere with the rear iron sight, and I’ve done a lot of research in order to eliminate that problem when I get the gun. (When it comes back into stock). However, I never heard a single thing about such a problem with the Hog Hunter, which I bought a couple of months ago. I’ve replaced the stock with a B&C Medalist/Varmint stock and put a Nikon M-308 4-46x42 scope on it and came across the problem of the scope clearing the front sight base by a fraction of an inch. The scope must be removed to flip the front scope cover on and off. See the photo below.

I used Warn QD rings, so removing the scope and retaining zero is a piece of cake, but I did not see this problem coming. These are the medium size rings. What have others done about this?

Gary...Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo

I removed the sights and used the plugs the factory installed in the scope mount holes to plug the holes in the barrel. I had no need for the iron sights, they weren't a factor in my purchasing the Hog Hunter. Mine were not purchased for hunting, and now all three barrels have new happy owners.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

bowhunter-57
    What about not using the caps and using a neoprene cover that should give you the space you need.I have the same problem but mine is what scope to buy that will not interfere with the rear site.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    I removed the sights and used the plugs the factory installed in the scope mount holes to plug the holes in the barrel. I had no need for the iron sights, they weren't a factor in my purchasing the Hog Hunter. Mine were not purchased for hunting, and now all three barrels have new happy owners.

Same. Surprisingly the iron sight plugs were the same as the base mount. This is a friends hog hunter that i removed the iron sights on.

I guess I should have said I wanted to keep the iron sights. I chose the Hog Hunter over the 10 FP because of the iron sights. I also used the Warn QD rings so I could have quick access to the iron sights. I have no interest in removing the iron sights.

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter-57 View Post
    What about not using the caps and using a neoprene cover that should give you the space you need.I have the same problem but mine is what scope to buy that will not interfere with the rear site.
    Had to Google that to see what a neoprene scope cover was. It looks like an option, but hard to find.

If you need to leave the irons on, consider the Leupold 3-9 compact or the 2-7 power. Both are short and shouldn't interfere with the factory irons.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

bowhunter-57
    you can find them on Ebay under hunting acces.

Another option would be a Butler Creek Bikini Cover.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Both the neoprene cover and the Butler Creek Bikini Cover look like viable options, with the bikini cover being the cheapest. Cheap enough that I’ll probably get one of the neoprene covers and toss in the bikini cover and use the one that works the best. Other one can get used on another scope. Thanks for the suggestions.

Well, I ordered a Tipton Gun Vice, something I’ve been wanting for a long time. I used it with two rifles today, and it just makes life so much easier. I tossed in a neoprene cover and a bikini cover for the scope into the order with the vice. I absolutely hate the bikini cover. I’m not sure I’ll use it on anything. The neoprene cover works fine and is what I will use. Thanks for the suggestions.