Thread: What press?

Basic Member

What press?

I figured I would ask those in here who are wildcatters, as wildcatters tend to take their handloading to the next level. What kind of press do you use? Likes and dislikes? I ask because I feel it may be time to replace mine.
    &quot;If you don&#39;t have me on tape, then I didn&#39;t do it.&quot;<br />-Rumored to own a few, various firearms.

louthedog

Re: What press?

Forster Co-Ax here. Haven&#39;t a lot of experience with other presses besides running my buddies Lyman some. In operation, I like the Forster&#39;s self adjusting shell holder. Supposed to let the case self align and reduce runout. Never measured runout against other presses so don&#39;t know if that is fact or fiction. Downside of the shell holder is switching the jaws around for larger case heads. Theres a couple little springs that like to go flying never to be seen again. With the right technique that is not a problem though. I also really like how the dies can be changed out in a second. Nice feature.

82boy

I use a custom built press, it uses lee 3 hole turret heads. This press is the bomb!!!!! I love it. the problem is the person making them no longer makes them, and will not make them. I got the last one they made. The plus side is I can mount it on a bench and reload right beside my shooting set up. It also holds my powder measure.

I also have a Lyman spar T press and it works great.

If I was to buy another set up it would be a Harrell precision turret press. (It is similar to what I have)
    http://harrellsprec.com/index.php?cr...on=show_detail

stevec

82boy, Could we get a pic of yur custom press. I have been thinking of building one and am not afraid of copying someone else good ideas. ;D
    Thanks, Steve

82boy

I feel bad posting pictures of this press, because the builder did put a lot of his talent, into this press. The builder of these presses is very proud of his design, and I believe if they could continue making these presses they would. I feel so lucky to own one of these presses, it is truly an awesome design. Well I will show a couple of Pict&#39;s, just please excuse the mess, this is my work area.

[img width=193 height=450]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/82boy/IMG_0075.jpg[/img]
    [img width=223 height=450]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/82boy/IMG_0077.jpg[/img]
    [img width=444 height=450]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/82boy/IMG_0078.jpg[/img]

stevec

Patrick, That truley is a very cool press! I will look into that some more. Thanks for sharing.
    As far as the "mess" I would show you a pic of mine but my camera is buried on my bench somewhere.

Thanks again, Steve

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
    I use a custom built press, it uses lee 3 hole turret heads. This press is the bomb!!!!! I love it. the problem is the person making them no longer makes them, and will not make them. I got the last one they made. The plus side is I can mount it on a bench and reload right beside my shooting set up. It also holds my powder measure.

I also have a Lyman spar T press and it works great.

If I was to buy another set up it would be a Harrell precision turret press. (It is similar to what I have)
    http://harrellsprec.com/index.php?cr...on=show_detail
    I was thinking about one of their single stage presses. I would have to say that their turret set up would work as well. I am currently using a Dillon 450 like it were a turret press. I sold my rock crusher because it seemed to me there was the beginings of excessive play in the ram and linkage. Decisions, decisions.
    &quot;If you don&#39;t have me on tape, then I didn&#39;t do it.&quot;<br />-Rumored to own a few, various firearms.

Basic Member

+1 on the Forster Co-Ax. I&#39;ve had one for 15 years and although I also have a Redding Boss, Rock Chucker, and Dillon, the Co-Ax is what I do the majority of my rifle loading on. With the standard jaws, I do 223 through belted mag/WSM (45-70/338 Lapua need the large jaws) and the standard jaws will fit 38sp./9mm through 480 Ruger (500 S&W would probably need the large jaws). So you can do a lot with the standard jaws.

A couple other points: the design is symmetric, so you can operate it with either hand. The way dies slide in and out means you can load very small batches quickly. The primers are pushed out into a tube with a jar at the bottom, so the press and your floor stay very clean.

One downside is that the thin lock rings with a radial set screw (redding, rcbs) aren&#39;t suitable for use with a Co-Ax. The thick lock rings with a cross-bolt lock (Hornady and Forster, also maybe Lee?) are what you need. I buy the Forster ones by the dozen whenever Midway has them on sale. The priming system on a Co-Ax is nice, but tricky to adjust for different case heads. I always use a hand-primer anyway. I like the new RCBS, and with it you&#39;d never need to buy shellholders. Since the stirrup-shaped handle on the Co-Ax goes over the top of the die, there is a limit to how tall your dies can be. Hasn&#39;t been a problem for me yet, but I could see where non-Forster micrometer seating dies might be a problem. Lastly, there is no way you could load 50 BMG on one of these, whereas you can on a Rock-Chucker.

Those downsides don&#39;t add up to much for me.

Basic Member

I got one of those and feel very very fortunate...and no it is not for sale I use it alot and I can take it to the range...I and a friend got one of the last 5 he built.

Another vote for the Forster Co-Ax. Borrowed a buddies to see how I liked it before buying and it is extremely nice. Die change is a snap as they slide in from the front instead of screwing down. No more shell holders for it as the built in jaws are truly vise like, everything "floats" for alignment and the mecahnical leverage is crazy. Don&#39;t ask how I know, but it has so much leverage and the jaws are so accurate that I have seen a Lapua .308 Win case sized without any lube (read someone forgot to lube).

On the otherside to that, I checked the run out on his Dillon .223 loads and ALL 10 rounds were .0015 or less. That is pretty good, especially for a progressive. I still like the Fortser, easier to set up and extremely easy to change dies/calibers.
    More shooting, less typing.

I have in use now 3 Lees, a Lyman Spar T, a Rockchucker and a Forester Co-Ax and it would be the last to leave. I have had some trouble with Arthritis in my shoulders and the Co-Ax has made it possible for me to continue to load the bigger cases. I would recommend them too anyone.