Thread: PT&G bolt heads

PT&G bolt heads

Does anyone besides Midway and PT&G sell these bolt heads ?
    I have a target action, rt bolt left port, .473 and I did not see any on Midways page. Pt&G does have the one I need , but it costs much more. I was wondering if anyone else has them.

Basic Member
    Try gunshack they usually have a good stock
    Ya'll hang on I'm gonna drive closer

I only see Savage made bolt heads on that site. Thank you anyway.

BigDave
    Give Nat Lamberth a shout. He and the David Kiff, the owner of PTG are pals. Nat and him collaborate for a few of the Savage offerings. PTG sells a bolt lift kit designed by him. I bet Nat has a bunch of bolt heads on hand.

Read this page: http://customgunsandammunition.com/toolmaking.html

But beware, contrary to what PT&G says, the bolt head is NOT a drop in item. I hear the barrel MUST be re head spaced in every instance. There are other issues too. Talk to Nat about this.
    http://customgunsandammunition.com/aboutus.html
    Last edited by BigDave; 03-20-2015 at 01:23 AM.

Thank you for the info.

Basic Member
    Any time you change out a portion of the bolt you should re-check your headspace as a precaution. Be it the bolt body or bolt head it's just the safe thing to do for yourself and other shooters around you if at the range.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Any time you change out a portion of the bolt you should re-check your headspace as a precaution. Be it the bolt body or bolt head it's just the safe thing to do for yourself and other shooters around you if at the range.
    if the bolt body changes the head space you have a serious problem and re- adjusting the head space will not cure that problem as head space is set with the lugs against the abutments
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    Grizzly carries them too, just picked up a head for a .223.

BigDave
    Quote Originally Posted by earl39 View Post
    if the bolt body changes the head space you have a serious problem and re- adjusting the head space will not cure that problem as head space is set with the lugs against the abutments
    There is a solution. I read it in some post or article. I cant quote it word for word. But I remember distinctively reading the word "Gunsmith" a few times. :) If you do a Google search, the solution is discussed somewhere. It is beyond my capabilities so I didnt pay all that close attention. It involves a very experienced gunsmith and a full machine shop.

Honestly, I would love to watch some one like Nat Lamberth work. I do ground up AR 15 builds... really good ones. That is not really "Gunsmithing". Lathes, mikes, gauges, carbide special tools and 20+ years experience and Black Magic....THAT is gunsmithing!

EDIT. I did a bit of looking to refresh my memory. Some guys say the bolt head is drop in. Many say its not. The firing pin protrusion needs to be checked and most likely adjusted. Head space needs to be checked. Its a toss up if the head space is OK or needs to be re adjusted, apparently. It MUST be checked, however...in any case. I would never call this bolt head "a drop in item".

I was all set to buy one and "slap" it in. Then I really researched it. Maybe someone somewhere installed his PTG bolt head and is "fine". There are just too many variables that make me want to wait and have a good gunsmith install and check and re check all related tolerances. Even PT&G admits they modified some of the dimensions to make it "better".

look here:
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...-Head-too-long
    Last edited by BigDave; 03-20-2015 at 11:06 PM.

PTG does not advertise them as drop in, and if you have to adjust headspace there is nothing inherently wrong.

The faces are cut, and may not be exactly where the factory face was positioned in space. I had to knock mine out by a thousandth or two and if you look at the heads side by side it is noticeable the specs are slightly different. It is all in the machining tolerances.

Side note... My 30-06 did not need headspacing, my 223 did...

I got one at grizzly machine for my .223.
    Now, as far as i know, no one but pt&g makes them for the rt bolt left port target actions (.473). So, i have one on order form PT&G. They told me that they are "made to order", so i won't expect to get it until sometime in May, ��

13. 03-22-2015, 01:11 PM
    Reason
    Copyright violation

A link to the site would have been more than sufficient.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Quote Originally Posted by zap View Post
    Does anyone besides Midway and PT&G sell these bolt heads ?
    I have a target action, rt bolt left port, .473 and I did not see any on Midways page. Pt&G does have the one I need , but it costs much more. I was wondering if anyone else has them.
    You're looking for a left hand .473 short action bolt head. Nothing more, nothing less. The right bolt, left port actions use a left hand bolt head and a right hand front baffle.
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

BigDave
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    A link to the site would have been more than sufficient.
    Apparently. The whole post was erased due to copyright violations.

What you said. I gave that a lot of thought.

Studies have shown that a significant majority of forum users will not or rarely click on a link.

That may be different for the typical Savage Forum member because we are fairly serious and interested in precision.
    I erred on the side of caution because I thought the info quite important. It acts a warning for guys who might only see the bolt head on Midway should they go looking for it. Not everyone reads reviews either. I do. I am sure you do.

Due to copyright issues, I will posting only links from now on. Those that don't click on it will just loose out. Nothing I can do about that.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/929...ace-right-hand

Me, personally? I almost always (99% of the time) click on any link in a forum post. I am pretty sure that is not the norm. Anyway. Its just links from now on.
    Last edited by BigDave; 03-22-2015 at 02:04 PM.

The post has been deleted due to it's infringement of Midway's copyright and the fact that it led the original poster to a product that was not correct for his application.