Thread: Bear Hunter or Long Range Hunter

Strutnut

Bear Hunter or Long Range Hunter

I am looking at these two rifles in a 300 win mag. Has anyone had any experience with either. Mostly a all around hunting rifle and also would like to do some long range shooting. As my skills develop I plan on also doing long range hunting with it as well. 1000 yards is the goal.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strutnut View Post
    I am looking at these two rifles in a 300 win mag. Has anyone had any experience with either. Mostly a all around hunting rifle and also would like to do some long range shooting. As my skills develop I plan on also doing long range hunting with it as well. 1000 yards is the goal.
    I would look at the Model 12 LRP or the 110 FCP. I have the latter and it gets me to 1,000 without breathing heavy.

A quality heavy contour barrel is arguably the most essential part for what you're wanting to do. While the Bear/Long Range Hunters are not bad rifles, there are other factory options that are far more ideal.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Basic Member
    A heavy gun like the LRP is a terrible choice for an "all around hunting rifle." A lighter gun is going to be a better choice if its primary use is to be carried around. Even the lighter barrels will get you to 1000 yards accurately, just not for dozens of shots in a row...

Basic Member
    I have a 270 and a 7mm mag that has the same configuration as the bear hunter, factory fluted barrel and brake and they shoot amazing...
    Using Tapatalk

Strutnut
    I think I am going with the Bear Hunter as it will be mostly my go to hunting rifle. Thinking putting a NightForce SHV on it. Should be a rock solid set up.

The barrel on the bear hunter is pretty short I believe it's 23" including the brake. The LRH is 26" with the brake.