Thread: Thanks Alot Guys, For .....

Grndhog

Thanks Alot Guys, For .....

... giving me the Savage bug . Seriously , thanks to all that share your wisdom and info here .

Just got my first project rifle up and running and really enjoyed getting it together. My primary varmint rig for the last two years has been a Ruger 77/22 VBZ chambered for .22 K-Hornet and has served me well, but last summer I decided I wanted more range . I started digging around the net and found this site which led to the purchase of a Stevens 200 in .243 . All my hunting is done on foot so I want to keep this rigs weight within reason so I decided to keep the stock barrel for now , this fall I`m going to get a shilen in heavy sporter contour still on the fence about length and standard or AI chamber ,but for now I ran the tubb final finish thru the factory tube , don`t really know if it`s help in the accuracy department but it does clean very easily . What I have done so far is install a sss triger , Tundra thumbhole from stock`s that I pillar bedded useing Hollands 700 ADL pillars and Bronells glass bed kit . I was pretty nevous about drilling and cutting on a brand new stock but it turned fairly well for a first time job . I toped it off with a Nikkon Monarch 5-20x44 . So far it has put everything I fed it under an inch @ 100yrds . I still have a good bit of load development to do to get it shooting it`s best . Shooting 87grn V-Maxes .010 of the lands over 36.5grns of IMR4064 at an avg velocity of 2972 fps , not to bad from the 22" barrel , with a best 3 shot (I would shoot 5`s but the thin barrel gets HOT after 3) group of .818 the first two of the three were .156 . I need to start letting the barrel cool between shots . Like I said I still have some work to do in the load department .
    Crappy pic but the only one I have , with the first victim ;D . 171 yrds , no exit . So far the rifle is 2 for 2 first time out (second one at 70yrds and was a Mess!) , this rifle may cut my hand gun season short .

Re: Thanks Alot Guys, For .....

Sure is nice when it all comes together! I got one of the Tundra's from Stocky's a couple of months ago. They are outstanding stocks. I don't understand the logic behind the high price synthetics when they don't really do anything the laminates don't do as well or better. Ah well to each his own.

Bad Water Bill

Welcome to our happy home.

Now that you are an addict tell us where you live. There may be other members in your area.

Your project looks great so far.

Grndhog

Thanks guys . I live in south western VA . I have to agree with you on the stock . I really wasn`t sure what I would actually get for the price but was happily suprised when it showed up , good fit and finish out of the box , definitely worth the money . And the sss trigger is outstanding , one of these will will be the first thing I get when I start collecting parts for rifle #2 , already thinking I need another in .221 Fireball or .20 VarTarg .