Thread: New barrel or rechamber?

bflee

New barrel or rechamber?

I have aquired a Savage Predator Hunter in 260 Rem and I am cosidering changing it to a 6.5 CM because I already have a long range CM and I dont need a another caliber. I was wondering if I need to buy a completely new barrel or can I just rechamber this one? If I can rechamber it who would be able to do it?

One can never have enough guns especially chambered in 6.5. My suggestion if you really want to swap it out for another creed barrel would be just to sell that barrel as a take off and put that money towards a match quality barrel from one of the vendors.

Billch
    I could see how rechambering your new 260 to 6.5 CM would be advantageous for you. Is there a possibility of having the 260 rechambered using the same reamer as your 6.5 CM? That would be handy only having to fuss with dimensions of one chamber when it comes time for resizing brass. Even if you wanted to chamber it with a little bit shorter freebore for hunting type bullets than your "long range" rifle, you could still use the same brass. This is assuming that your current 5.6 CM is throated long. Either way...

If you decide to set back the 260 barrel you'd probably only have to give 3/8 of an inch off of the breach end at most, i'd think. It would be more of an incentive to rechamber the 260 if it is a know good shooter rather than taking a chance on a new barrel. Certainly there is a gunsmith around you somewhere that could do this for you. It's not that big of a deal.

Good luck.

B