Thread: Modularized Rifle Weighting?

Modularized Rifle Weighting?

Hey guys,
    Just for fun, I've been doing some thinking about how to use a removable weighting system for my build. Has anybody else tried this or are there systems already out there? I'm trying to make a reasonably weighted rifle for carrying that can be easily modified to provide the recoil reduction benefits of added weight. I've been tossing some ideas around, but I want to see what you all think about the subject.

My Bat 6PPC has weight system in butt. Simply is a one inch bored hole, with steel rod cut to yield the weight you need.

I was thinking maybe something external that can be removable. When I hunt, I tend to carry a Nalgene of water. That is two extra pounds that I usually have on my person anyway. If I can figure out a way to quickly and easily attach/detach it from the stock, I can carry a 10 lb rifle that recoils like it's 12 lbs. My current plan is to mount a bike water bottle holder on the forend (behind the bipod where it is out of the way). I'm trying to figure out how to mount it on there so I can slip it on and off easily, but still have it sturdily attached so it will absorb the recoil.
    Any thoughts or suggestions? I already know I'm crazy
    Precision is the key to accuracy.

Always remember, good things come to those who shoot straight.

wingzero
    Quote Originally Posted by short round View Post
    My Bat 6PPC has weight system in butt. Simply is a one inch bored hole, with steel rod cut to yield the weight you need.
    I'm thinking of doing that too. I was able to remove the 2 screws from the recoil pad but how do you remove the recoil pad that is glued to the butt?

I have debated this too, but never done it. I was leaning more towards a pipe/conduit filled with lead shot or poured lead. A 1" diameter pipe could then be used in scope mount/rail attachment.

Add 4 oz.muzzle break and will do the same thing. Just costs more. LOL

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarrelBurner View Post
    Add 4 oz.muzzle break and will do the same thing. Just costs more. LOL
    AND will bother the hell out of anybody shooting next to you!

Snowgetter, that's a good idea. I did some more searching and decided to put a rail on the bottom of the stock. To fit the water bottle holder, I drilled and tapped a picatinny sling adapter. The outfit works pretty well. I made a second bottle filled with shot for shooting at the range. The shot bottle adds 10 lbs and the water bottle adds 2. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

BarrelNuts
    Interesting... I know Bushmaster used to (not sure if they still do since I got out of Svc. Rifle comp. about 6 years ago) make a lead wedge that fit into the cleaning gear compartment of M-16A2 style buttstocks... although the goal was more to provide balance in the back end to offset having a heavier barrel up front; had an Armalite National Match that I crammed that into... even shooting hot and heavy hand loads out of it recoil was nonexistent (even more so than a normal 5.56 out of an AR type rifle) but shooting from the standing position got to be a chore!

Camo I would like to see pictures.

DIY Bike Bottle Holder Weighting System

Here are some pictures detailing the finished product. Total cost was about 35 bucks, not including the bottle.
    For a 10lb rifle- 2 lb water bottle = ~20% recoil reduction, 8 lb shot bottle = ~ 50% reduction.

5" picatinny rail with a second hole drilled 2.25" from the first sling stud. This spacing allows you to take the second screw out and replace with a sling stud if you don't like the rail on the sock. Alternatively, you could use an Anschutz style rail to start.
    I ground down the area around the sling stud to attach my bipod. It is important to leave at least one segment of the rail in front of the stud to properly anchor the bipod.
    The water bottle attachment.
    I used a sling stud rail adapter and removed the stud. A quick release might work better, but this works great. There is plenty of room between the bottle and stock to get fingers in and tighten. A note: I did tighten the little nut in there to allow enough adjustment so that it just comes off the rail when completely loosened.
    Drilled and tapped the adapter to take two screws with washers to hold the bottle holder. I ground off the screws to be flush with the opposite side. It's pretty solid.
    Bottle attachment fits nicely behind the bipod.
    Bottle in holder. Plenty of room to fit your hand behind, below the action. I grip the buttstock with my off hand when shooting off a bipod anyway, so the bottle is not in the way at all.
    Another pic, showing that it completely clears the ground.
    Container of lead shot fits nicely as well. I wrapped it in duct tape so it would fit more snugly in the holder. I used an old Parmesan cheese container, it is 8 lbs. Of course, you could use a larger container, but that's what was laying around.

That should be about everything. If you have any questions or improvement suggestions, let me know!
    Last edited by Camo_mdvl; 04-10-2015 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Photo challenged...