Thread: Older Savage "Super Sporter" 30-06 Any Info

TX8728

Older Savage "Super Sporter" 30-06 Any Info

So I bought this rifle about 2 years ago from one of my grandfathers old time war buddies. I have tried to do some research about with with not much luck. Even ask around at a few local gun shops and basically got the same answer. Which was that it isn't that easy to determine production years on older models.
    So I figured I would try my luck here. So any information on the approximate production year would be greatly appreciated. Also just a ball park value of this rifle.
    I don't intend on selling it just curious, pretty sure I came out good in the end for what was included and what I paid for it.

I only gave $140 for the rifle with the JC Higgins scope, two magazines and about 90 rounds.
    Also maybe you guys could help me out on the ammo also.
    I have 25 rounds of what I believe could be Lake City 30-06 (Marked LC69)
    Also some older rounds with the bulge(round)primers which I know are older for sure.
    And some Silver Tip ammo which I don't know anything about.

As always here are the pictures for everything, thanks for any information.

If you look over it carefully you should be able to find an oval stamp with 1 or 2 numbers followed by a letter. If the letter is a J then it would be 1958, K would be 1959, a L would be 1960. The barrel should be stamped either with Chicopee Falls or Westfield, Ma - if it's Westfield it was manufactured after Savage moved in 1960.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

TX8728
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    If you look over it carefully you should be able to find an oval stamp with 1 or 2 numbers followed by a letter. If the letter is a J then it would be 1958, K would be 1959, a L would be 1960. The barrel should be stamped either with Chicopee Falls or Westfield, Ma - if it's Westfield it was manufactured after Savage moved in 1960.
    Well I looked it over and the only Oval I could find was marked (SAP)
    Also as far as the barrel stamp it is neither Chicopee Falls or Westfield, Ma But instead it reads (Savage-Savage Arms Corporation and under Utica N.Y. Made in USA)
    Included two new pictures.

Savage left Utica, NY in 1946.
    the SaP is a Savage Arms Proof stamp.

I've got nothing else, sorry.
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

TX8728
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    Savage left Utica, NY in 1946.
    the SaP is a Savage Arms Proof stamp.

I've got nothing else, sorry.

Thanks, so with that said I guess it's safe to say it was pre-1946 then?

You might do a search on Google "Savage Super Sporter", I found quite a bit there. Your rifle is a Model 45, they also made the Model 40, which is the same rifle without checkering.
    Last edited by Hotolds442; 03-18-2015 at 08:00 PM.

The Model 40 Sporter and Model 45 Super Sporter rifles were made from 1928 thru 1940. Both models were identical other than appointments. The Model 45 Super Sporter had a rear receiver peep sight and checkered stock whereas the Model 40 Sporter had a plain stock and an adjustable flat-top open rear sight located on the barrel. Both had a white metal bead front sight mounted in a base integral with the barrel. Both were offered in .250-3000 Savage or .30-30 Win (22" barrel), and in .300 Savage or .30-06 Govt (24" barrel).

The stamping that HotOlds referred to above doesn't apply as Savage only used the date stamp from 1949 thru the late 1960's.

You're going to have to wait on Joe (Mad Dog) to get a date of manufacture.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

TX8728
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    The Model 40 Sporter and Model 45 Super Sporter rifles were made from 1928 thru 1940. Both models were identical other than appointments. The Model 45 Super Sporter had a rear receiver peep sight and checkered stock whereas the Model 40 Sporter had a plain stock and an adjustable flat-top open rear sight located on the barrel. Both had a white metal bead front sight mounted in a base integral with the barrel. Both were offered in .250-3000 Savage or .30-30 Win (22" barrel), and in .300 Savage or .30-06 Govt (24" barrel).

The stamping that HotOlds referred to above doesn't apply as Savage only used the date stamp from 1949 thru the late 1960's.

You're going to have to wait on Joe (Mad Dog) to get a date of manufacture.
    Thanks for the information. I guess the previous owner removed the peep sight and the front sight bead as wasn't included on the rifle or ammo box with everything else. Not sure who this "Mad Dog" is but sounds good. At least this gives me a better idea of the year.

If it were me and I wanted to shoot it, I would run very mild loads through it. They aren't real strong and that is in really nice condition.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

I have no data on the 40's and 45's so I can't date them by serial numbers.
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    The ammunition your holding is "Lake City". 1969 production.

hutch1980
    I have the same rifle. I am looking for another one for my son if you are interested. I'm also looking for one or two extra clips if anyone knows where to find those. Hutch