MODS if this in the wrong area, I'm sorry, I didn't know where to post it.

So, some of you know that I'm a police sniper in west Texas down here and the guys on the sniper element ran into a few problems yesterday training in the rain and I wanted to ask for some input because frankly, where I live, it doesn't rain much so we don't get this opportunity very often. I was not present during this training session as I was working on some stuff for a warrant service.

Yesterday, the guys were shooting under some canopies but during a constant heavy rain in windy conditions and were firing several strings of fire. The conditions described to me is that due to the wind, the rifles were in fact getting wet as well as possibly the ammunition which is 168gr FGMM SMK from a current lot where we haven't experience any problems prior to yesterday. After several strings of fire, 3 out of 6 guys started experiencing heavy bolt lift and difficult extraction of spent casings.

My questions since I wasn't there were: Did unfired cases provide the same problems? Did the spent casings show signs of problems? Neither of which could be answered for me.

All rifles were Robar built Remington 700s on Surgeon actions in 308. My thoughts were that moisture build up on the cases/chamber led to uneven expansion causing the problems experienced but since I cannot verify this by looking at the shell casings, I can't positively identify the problems. What do you guys think? Am I on the right track? I have a newer Sgt who now believes that our rifles won't work in the rain.

Respectfully,
Matt