Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a17 feeding problems

tc07

a17 feeding problems

Just picked up the new a17 and took it out to the range today. However, almost every time I fire, the magazine releases and falls on the ground and another round wont chamber. I also noticed that it was denting the next casing that it would try to chamber. I'm using the Hornady ammo. I know they recommend the CCI, but all they had was the Hornady and they claimed other ammo should work fine. Any idea what's wrong? Someone told me they thought it may just be the magazine. It's a 10 round rotary mag. The place I bought it from has a return policy, thinking I may just take it back and let somebody else be the guinea pig.

KRP
    It sounds like your best bet is to take it back.

17ahi

Accuracy

TC07 What kind of accuracy where you experiencing. Any new model that comes out have their glitches.

lwege

Wink A17 Feeding issues

Same issue. Every round, both CCI and Hornady caused the magazine to drop out and the case was dented. It appears that a .17 HMR may be difficult in semi-auto. I have sent a service request to savage, but I suspect they have an issue with the magazines. I was very hard to load, so it appears defective. I'll post what Savage does to resolve the issue.

Basic Member
    have not shot mine yet, but the clip snaps in with a loud click and feels good on mine, hopefully get to shoot a few rounds this weekend .. we will see then

So in other words, you're getting this as well...

I'm not having an issue with the magazine popping loose, but here's what is happening. In my case it's a magazine issue in that the nose of the round is sitting to high which is allowing the rim to dip down. In doing so the rim is now sitting to low and the bolt isn't catching it when it cycles. As a result the bolt catches the round about 1/4 the way up the case and puts that nice dent in it. When the bolt does catch the rim to strip a round from the magazine, the nose of the bullet is still sitting to high and ends up jamming into the breach of the barrel above the chamber causing a jam. Very frustrating in both instances.

Savage has a couple replacement magazines on their way to me for my review gun so I'll report back as to whether or not they resolve the issue. In terms of the mags falling out, I have noticed that you can put the mag and think it's in place but it doesn't actually click into place.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    still have not had time or good weather to try mine yet but got a couple extra newer mags ordered and on the way.
    one way or the other I am shooting it this weekend I hope

Weather has kept me from getting back out as well. If it's not pouring down rain it's wind gusts up to 40-50mph. Gotta love spring time in Ohio....
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    spoke to someone at Savage a while back. without going into too much detail I said I am leerey about buying this rifle before the bugs are worked out. that person said "you might want to wai a little while"
    apparently they knew what they were talking about.

I wish they would stop rushing these new products into production before the bugs are worked out/
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

Oafeng

A17 feeding

I am having the same problem that J. Baker is having. Savage sent me a new magazine to try, but the issue is not the magazine. The slot in the stock that the magazine goes into is 1/16" too big and it fits sloppy. If you position the magazine just right you can get it to work, but you shouldn't have to do that! I have sent my gun back to savage so we'll see what happens. For those of you who haven't shot yours yet you can load the magazine and manually try to cycle the rounds by pulling the slide back to see if you are going to have issues with your gun.

Good news: New magazines have pretty much solved the feeding issue depicted in the photo's above. I only experienced four jambs out of 140 rounds fired yesterday with the three new magazines Savage sent me.

Bad News: I'm still getting a failure to strip a round from the magazine on occasion with the A17 ammo, and much more frequently with the CCI TNT ammo and Hornady V-Max ammo which I suspect is a short-cycle issue. When it happened with the older ammo in most cases it not only failed to strip/chamber a new round, but it also failed to recock the hammer.

That said, the latter might have been due in part or full to the gun being dirty as I now have approximately 210 rounds through it without a cleaning. Going to give it a good scrubbing, lube up the bolt and see if that changes anything.

I will say this though...this thing slings spent brass like nothing I've ever seen before. I'm talking 15-20 feet!

blaster49
    You need to make sure that the mag clicks into place when the dog on the front of the mag latches with the rifle. I'm having FTF issues I think because the rear end of the cartridge drops too low so the bullet tip hangs-up on the top of the chamber entrance. I have the original mag and an extra. I don't know if one works better than the other but I will do a test and report the results. It didn't make a difference if I Used the special A17 ammo, Hornady Vmax or Winchester Vmax.

I just returned from a varmint hunting trip and fired about 600 rounds. Overall performance of the rifle was good but the FTF problem was a source of irritation.

Ida II
    Looks like Savage is getting a lot of these guns back, mine included, I had a lot more problems than just feeding though.

blaster49
    The magazine was the issue. One mag worked flawlessly, the other jammed at least once in 10 rounds. Will Savage send me a replacement mag at no charge?

Quote Originally Posted by blaster49 View Post
    The magazine was the issue. One mag worked flawlessly, the other jammed at least once in 10 rounds. Will Savage send me a replacement mag at no charge?
    Only way to find out is to call them, but I imagine they would.

Oafeng

A17 feeding issues

talked to savage last Monday they were just finishing up my gun. He rattled off a whole list of parts they swapped out and said it performs flawlessly now. Hopefully when I get home today UPS will deliver it. They had my gun for two weeks.

Second one Savage sent me for review (guess they didn't like my first review too much) is running fine. I've only had two FTF's in 160 rounds and both were a failure to strip a round from the magazine when running some really early CCI 17gr TNT ammo. This one really wants to be a one-holer to at 50-yards, but with most every group I seem to lose the fight with the stock on rounds 4 and 5. The trigger on this one is worse than the first one with a major "hitch" in the pull that makes it almost feel like a 3-stage trigger (blade, hitch, break).

I will say this though - If you're a left-hand shooter and plan on getting one of these, make sure you always wear eye protection when shooting it. On two or three rounds from most every magazine I feel something hit my face just under my right eye. All the cases look good (no bulges or cracks), so no indication of the bolt opening to early. Best guess it's a granule of unburnt powder or something, but whatever it is it's moving fast and you don't want it in your eye.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the leftie tip!. That is why I quit shooting right handed semi auto's a long time ago. It's just not worth the risk plus the safeties are always backwards for me.
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster 50 View Post
    Thanks for the leftie tip!. That is why I quit shooting right handed semi auto's a long time ago. It's just not worth the risk plus the safeties are always backwards for me.
    Never had an issue before now, but most of my semi-auto experience is just with 10/22's and AR's.

kmyers1408
    What's a clip

B52GRobins
    I'm having exactly the same issues that J. Baker is having on the first page of this thread where the misfeed pictures are posted....I've emailed Savage with the problem but it's only been 24 hours so no response as of yet....Anyone have any ideas or thoughts on this, I'd sure welcome the input!

Oafeng
    Quote Originally Posted by B52GRobins View Post
    I'm having exactly the same issues that J. Baker is having on the first page of this thread where the misfeed pictures are posted....I've emailed Savage with the problem but it's only been 24 hours so no response as of yet....Anyone have any ideas or thoughts on this, I'd sure welcome the input!
    You will need to send the gun back to savage. They will replace the stock and a few other parts. I called them and they emailed a return label and I had my gun back in about 18 days.

spalt
    You have to visually watch the mag latch into place In front. You can hear it click. I did not try opening the bolt first but that should help. My current problem is related to the trigger not returning. I think the bolt is short cycling. The gritty trigger is related to the weird accutrigger spring. It is smooth without it, but the gun had to be hand cycled for some reason.

B52GRobins
    The weird thing about this whole A17 ordeal, is that if I reach underneath and hold upward on the magazine and don't allow it to drop down (especially in the rear), it works like a fine Swiss watch! If I don't, I get the same results as the pictures posted by J. Baker....

i bought
    As long as i make sure mine click
    In no failures at all but can be decieved if not checking everytime. I called savage was told 2 mfg formagazines one had wrong geometry . Sending new one out. They want mine back . Been waiting. 2 weeks so far

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast