Thread: LOOKING FOR SAVAGE AFTERMARKET STOCK ..center fire, long action

nap2753

LOOKING FOR SAVAGE AFTERMARKET STOCK ..center fire, long action

IF ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS ....

I own a Savage model 111 .30-06 FCXP3. It is a centerfire and a long action. I am looking for an aftermarket stock (not worth more than the price of the gun), mainly a tactical stock..

I don't believe they make one yet, only for short actions and long action staggered feeds..

Re: LOOKING FOR SAVAGE AFTERMARKET STOCK ..center fire, long action

The la actions for stagger feed and the ones for center feed are not that different. Fill in the front of the mag well and a little work just ahead of the front pillar. The screw spacing is the same.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

gunner45

Can a centerfeed action be converted to a staggered feed without breaking the bank? There are more stock options out there for staggered feed actions.

McKinneyMike

I am having my gunsmith mill out the required section on my after market stock to fit my center feed rifle that has an aluminum block. Hope to post a few photos of the finished rifle later this week. Nothing special, but my first "semi-custom" rifle. Not the last though as I have another one that is right behind it :)

hotbrass

Quote Originally Posted by gunner45
    Can a centerfeed action be converted to a staggered feed without breaking the bank? There are more stock options out there for staggered feed actions.
    Good question.

Anyone know?

Thanks!

dcloco

Yes...a little work, not bad.

I had to convert a Medalist from staggered feed to centerfeed.

hotbrass

What is the difference and what needs to be done to use a centerfeed?

dcloco

Bolt hole space for the action (short actions). Staggered feed is 4.25. Centerfeed is 4.40. With the Medalist, I just drilled a new hole, which, of course, overlaps the original hole. IMHO, stocks with the aluminum action cradle, can easily handle this mod.

Then, I did bed the centerfeed magwell into the stock as well. Have to take your time and make sure everything sits just right AND feeds rounds perfectly. Does not take much though. Inlet for the tab that holds the rear of the mag well in place and that is about it.

To answer your question, not easily and not without a gunsmith. The center feed action does not have the space to attach the stagger feed mag(learned this the hard way).Having a smith fit it could get expensive.
    Reworking the stock is much easier. I just did a Boyds laminate and the piece of material I needed for the front of the mag was the same size that I needed to remove to inlet for the L bracket that holds the mag in place, so I just epoxied it to the front of the mag well. I then put a skim coat of steel putty on it and when all was hardened I sand it down to fit in the mag,now all is well.I have a picture posted on the forum somewhere "new build with pictures",you can see it here.While I was at it I epoxied in some pillars, and after I am done getting it to shoot good groups I may skim bed it and get it to shoot great groups.
    After all was done it cost me about $115 including the stock and about 4-5 hours of time to fit action & barrel to the stock.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by gunner45
    think your question got some confused, but they gave you the better option anyway.

You cannot convert a centerfeed action into a staggerfeed cause they are milled out differently. It may be able to be done, but not worth the cost of it.

The better fix is to convert the staggered stock to fit your centerfeed action as many have mentioned above. Since you have a long action the bolt spacing is the same, so it is a much easier task than a short action.
    You just need to inlet for the slot at the rear pillar to fit the magbox tab(L bracket), and fit the magbox height to the new stock.

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

hotbrass

Quote Originally Posted by pdog06
    The better fix is to convert the staggered stock to fit your centerfeed action as many have mentioned above. Since you have a long action the bolt spacing is the same, so it is a much easier task than a short action.
    You just need to inlet for the slot at the rear pillar to fit the magbox tab(L bracket), and fit the magbox height to the new stock.
    Thats the anwer I was looking for. Thanks pdog06!

gunner45

me too Thanks ;D