Thread: old 340 with very nice wood,and a few sight questions

leadchucker62

old 340 with very nice wood,and a few sight questions

[img width=600 height=450]http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab266/leadchucker62/rempics110.jpg?t=1273611868[/img]
    good day all:i picked up this 340 in .3030 win as a camp gun to be used at our bear/moose camp in northern ontario canada as a spare,just in case.and because of the fantastic wood on this gun.
    i dont know the date of manufacture as it has no serial #, a circle with 6D is all i could find.
    i would like to install a williams fp 340 without the target knobs.
    should i change,or will i need to change the front sight height to go with it.
    if so any recomendations.
    this gun is completely original and untouched and by the looks of it ,it was shot very little.
    are these guns in this caliber known to be accurate?

any info would be greatly appreciated

Z

Re: old 340 with very nice wood,and a few sight questions

that is nice looking wood. Never got a peep I wanted to afford on mine. they kept selling for more then I wanted to pay.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Eric in NC

They are accurate little guns - especially for the price.

Receiver sights can get spendy on them (unless you luck onto one)- might be better off with a scope (even though it is a side mount).

Can't answer you on the front sight.

Downfalls are the barrel band and the trigger - use it as is and enjoy it, not much more "accurizing" can be done to them.

Basic Member

Anybody know if that sight can be installed without modifications to the stock?

ellobo

Check the Williams gunsite website. They may have a sight that can be used but you may have to have a gunsmith drill and tap for it. Check out the Lyman website as well. I doubt it will involve any stock mods. It should already have taped holes for the side mount used for scope. A good low power non-vriable scope would be best. Pentax makes some very nice single power scopes and you can get store demo models cheap at CameraLand who is an advertiser on this website. I have some Pentax and for the money they are decent.
    Best of luck. Nice looking rifle. For what they are they are very accurate.

El Lobo

powderburn

That is the nicest 340 I have ever seen. You are very lucky to have found it. I have owned 3-4 over the years and currently own one in 222. They are very good shooting little rifles and should serve you well. Williams makes a 5D receiver sight that will fill the bill for you. I have one on a 30-30 and they are great and fairly inexpensive. Most 340's have two holes drilled on the receiver on the left side at the rear of the receiver. You may have to notch the stock to mount the receiver sight or maybe not as I have never tried. Just contact Williams gun site and they will be able to tell you what model 5D you want and if you need a new front sight. I'm expecting not. Since the bridge is split on the 340 it requires a side mount for a scope and will require you to remove the receiver sight to remove the bolt.

Airedaleman

Handsome rifle! Barrel code "D" = 1952. I have a .222 with "E" code. These are great rifles, largely overlooked. My .222 will shoot 1-inch five shot groups
    at 100 yards all day long.