Thread: New Savage owner

DaveZander

New Savage owner

I have a Model 10 FP in.308.
    It has a bushnel 3x9 on it. I haven't shot it yet. Bought it used. Supposedly lighly shot.
    I will likely replace the scope, rings, and mounts. the stuff look kinda cheesy thats on it.
    I have a Zeiss 1" tube conquest scope i will likely put on it.
    Can anyone recommend a good mounting base and rings.
    I don't plan on shooting over 300-400 yards at this point.
    It has a very plain synthetic stock. What would be a decent aftermarket stock for this model?
    Where would you buy it?
    This gun doesn't have a bottom floor plate, is there anyway within reason to adapt a box type magazine or is the action Solid on the bottom where its not possible or if t is sold can it be milled or am i just better off with another gun with the box mag or floor plate type so i can adapt a box mag?
    The distance between the screw holes that hold the action in the stock are about 4.300" eyeballing with the calipers.
    Is this a long or short action ?
    I know very little about these rifles as you can see, any info appreciated

thanks
    Last edited by DaveZander; 03-17-2015 at 09:12 PM.

Basic Member
    For base and rings, I would reccommend DNZ game reaper http://swfa.com/DNZ-Game-Reaper-1-Sc...nt-P41549.aspx

Or EGW picatinny one piece rail http://swfa.com/EGW-Picatinny-Rail-1...nt-P46207.aspx and maybe SWFA rings or warne

Boyds makes pretty good affordable walnut or laminates of tactical and various sprting styles.

Savage factory bottom metal and detachable mags are available, would not require any milling or changing of action, etc., assuming it is a a center feed action (current mag is attached to stock, not action)

Mach2
    Leupold makes light, strong rings that don't cost much.
    I have tried the Weigand one piece setup that is similar to the DNZ setup. The single piece setups are pricey.
    http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-...n=Leupold-US-S

There are several styles in this link that show how much or little you can spend. Even the cheap Rifleman rings are precision at $10 but I like the leupold dove tails the best.
    Last edited by Mach2; 03-17-2015 at 11:38 PM.

I like the EGW rails on my long range guns, and the Burris XTR 2-piece bases on the shorter range guns. The 2 piece bases are steel, and low profile. I use the Burris XTR rings with both setups. No issues of any kind so far.
    I have a couple of rifles with the one piece Leupold bases and a couple with the 2piece Leupolds. I don't care for the way the rear base infringes on the loading port with the 2 piece sets. In 40 years of packing around guns equipped with Leupold bases and rings, I've never had a failure or a loose screw.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Hallbilly
    Hi DaveZander, Welcome.
    Just a few days ago a post started "First Savage" which touches on a potential scope mounting issue that you may wish to look at.
    Can't help with magazine question, I've left mine blind, I'm not in favour of looking for dropped boxes and ammo in the mud.
    As for action length, I know that the scope mount inner screw centers are : 3.925" SA and 4.625" LA.

bg380
    Dave,
    Welcome aboard!
    Regarding long action or short action, that is determined by the cartridge. The .308 and its derivatives (.243 Win, .260 Rem etc.) are short action. Whereas the .30-'06 and its family (.25-'06, .270 etc.) are long action. Hope this helps.

Your .308 is a short action.