Thread: Move scope w/o taking out of rings

MillerPI2142

Move scope w/o taking out of rings

I mounted my scope last week in Burris tactical 1" rings but I'm starting to second guess my scope position- it's comfortable but I think it could be better. I believe I have more room to move it forward. My question is can I just loosen and detach the ring bases and place it in a different base slot rather than taking the scope out of the rings, removing Loctite, and going through the whole process?

Yes
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

BigDave
    Quote Originally Posted by MillerPI2142 View Post
    I mounted my scope last week in Burris tactical 1" rings but I'm starting to second guess my scope position- it's comfortable but I think it could be better. I believe I have more room to move it forward. My question is can I just loosen and detach the ring bases and place it in a different base slot rather than taking the scope out of the rings, removing Loctite, and going through the whole process?
    You can. But I wouldnt. You really want to fine tune your eye relief. Don't let my opinion stop you. But before you do anything, watch this video. It is the best I have ever seen concerning scope positioning.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COoXVpGfXQE

Surprisingly, he doesn't use a torque wrench. I do. But obviously you can get by with out one. Watch both videos. Best part is how you get your cheek weld. Make sure you get in your most frequent shooting position when you set your scope for eye relief.(ie prone, standing, sitting, kneeling etc)

Ryan Cleckner from the National Shooting Sports Foundation

This video is good too. Its by an EXTREME long range shooter who does everything "by feel". No torque wrenches, no nutten. ( I use a Wheeler Fat wrench. LOL)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjRFRcUjf3g
    Last edited by BigDave; 03-17-2015 at 05:47 PM.

D.ID
    LOL.................One doesn't use a torque wrench and one does it by feel.
    Know what they have in common?
    They have both done it allot................ and don't film it when the occasional scope loosens up.

BigDave
    Quote Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
    LOL.................One doesn't use a torque wrench and one does it by feel.
    Know what they have in common?
    They have both done it allot................ and don't film it when the occasional scope loosens up.
    Didnt they both use loctite? Both of these guys do basically nothing but shoot ALL the time. After a while they get built in torque wrenches in their hands/fingers? I still was pretty shocked to see them NOT use a Fat Wrench. The You Tube guy 8541 Tactical John McQuay, a former Marine Sniper uses an inch pound torque wrench for everything. He is a fairly good armorer/smith.

Me? I am pretty experienced too. But I actually enjoy the whole precision thing/lapping/bedding/torque values (Fat Wrench for me) etc. I would not feel comfortable with out doing it using something more accurate than my fingers. I have probably 5 torque wrenches in various sizes and scales. I even have a newton/meter wrench. I have 5 different types of Loctite. You know, doing it by the book. I happen to enjoy the precision of smithing as much as the shooting. Is that the way you feel too?

Not everybody uses a Fat Wrench. Tight is tight. Since my scopes don't come off, I don't really care about repeatability. If I do have to remove one, it gets sighted in again. 2 days ago you posted that you ordered a Fat Wrench, so I assume it's already been delivered and now a person that doesn't use one is a lessor marksman?
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    I've never used a "fat" wrench, nor loctite for that matter...I've never had a scope come loose. I get my hands and fingers checked for calibration every month.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

D.ID
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Didnt they both use loctite? Both of these guys do basically nothing but shoot ALL the time. After a while they get built in torque wrenches in their hands/fingers? I still was pretty shocked to see them NOT use a Fat Wrench. The You Tube guy 8541 Tactical John McQuay, a former Marine Sniper uses an inch pound torque wrench for everything. He is a fairly good armorer/smith.

Me? I am pretty experienced too. But I actually enjoy the whole precision thing/lapping/bedding/torque values (Fat Wrench for me) etc. I would not feel comfortable with out doing it using something more accurate than my fingers. I have probably 5 torque wrenches in various sizes and scales. I even have a newton/meter wrench. I have 5 different types of Loctite. You know, doing it by the book. I happen to enjoy the precision of smithing as much as the shooting. Is that the way you feel too?
    EXACTLY.
    Tight is tight......... until the day you eat extra weaties and then tight is sheared off and being drilled out, re-tapped or replaced.
    Between the fear off breaking or binding something and the uncertainty of not enough, I just see no need to field equipment I'm not 100% completely confident in right from the start.
    Lots of folks get away with it. I use to as well but it bit me once and was frustrating and expensive, never again.
    It's entirely too easy to do it right and have the piece of mind that it was done right.
    No excuses and No exceptions.

Basic Member
    I'm a Marine, I'm 6'5" 230lbs lean. I break small things easily, so I use a fat wrench. Since I've started using one I haven't stripped the heads on anymore screws. I still don't understand why Allen heads are so common in gunsmithing. If everything was torx heads all this would be a non issue!

Basic Member
    I watched Bruce Baer install a new Nightforce on a gun he did for me a few years ago.
    He put into the rings and tightened it with a plain old screwdriver. No levels, no nuthin except the screwdriver.
    He got up from the bench it was sitting on and said look in there and see how it looks to you.
    Im a lefty and he's a righty so i had him move it ever so slightly. Then he just tightened it up.
    I bought a fatwrench because my son couldnt afford a Nightforce and bought a kotex, i mean vortex.