Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Trigger For Bench Shooting?

Spin Drift

Best Trigger For Bench Shooting?

I currently have a Rifle Basix Sav-1 trigger. This trigger is extremely crisp with zero creep but I cannot get it set low enough without having issues. I want to be down well under 1 pound. This is not a hunting rifle. What is the best trigger to go with for benchrest shooting and extremely light trigger pull on the savage?

Thanks

Basic Member
    RB SAV-2 is the #2 trigger and the Evolution trigger from SSS is #1, but requires a T&T job done by Fred himself with the install.

If you don't want to wait for a T&T by Fred, go with the Savage #2 trigger, or look at what Timney has to offer.

Basic Member
    The Timney offering is pretty much the same thing as the SAV-1. That's why I only mentioned the higher end offering that can be set to the low pull weight the op is looking for.

Basic Member
    Does the SAV-2 still only work with the side bolt release models?? Or does it now work for the bottom bolt releases??

DK
    [B]Savage - Arken Optics - MDT - Seekins - MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/B]

Basic Member
    Does the SAV-2 still only work with the side bolt release models?? Or does it now work for the bottom bolt releases??

DK

Basic Member
    You'd have to ask RB or possibly Dennis at the McGowen outlet.

Basic Member
    Dang it... another double post... sorry about that.

DK

Basic Member
    According to RB, the SAV-2 only works for side bolt release models. But I was hoping someone had figured out a way to make it work for bottom bolt release.

I currently run the SAV-1. Like above, I can only drop the pull rate down so far before problems occur. It will work for now, but just lookin for options.

DK

Basic Member
    I'm running a Timney 517 on a Shilen DGR. I run it at 2lbs ish. Love it

Team Savage
    SSS comp trigger will go down to 12oz

Spin Drift
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    RB SAV-2 is the #2 trigger and the Evolution trigger from SSS is #1, but requires a T&T job done by Fred himself with the install.
    What is a T&T job?

Basic Member
    Timing and Truing of the action. Mates all the surfaces together and ensures everything is nice and square.

Basic Member
    I understand the truing part, but what exactly does the timing aspect take care of?? I know Savage has one of the best lock times out there, but I don't know what else it could be??

DK

Basic Member
    It smoothes out the cycling of the bolt, not reduce bolt lift, but smooths out the operation resulting in a better smoother feel.

anchored
    I would suggest a Sharp Shooter Competition trigger. Have mine tuned to 8 ounces and very crisp. Reportedly they're less prone to slam fires than RifleBasix when tuned low, and tune lower than Timneys (which I have in quite a few other rifles).

Oh... warranty/service is wonderful... Had one installed around 2003 in my Savage 12BVSS and it recently failed (torqued spring says gunsmith). Gunsmith called Sharp Shooter to order new spring, and they suggested instead of sending part to return the trigger to them... they're fixing it at no-charge (except for $5 shipping).

Basic Member
    SSS Comp trigger is very nice.

Neither the RB Sav-2 or SSS Comp trigger will work with bottom bolt release models b/c those have too much "crap" in the mechanism to allow those triggers to function. Hard too explain, but the bottom bolt release mechanisms get in the way.

It is possible to convert it to top bolt release, though it would require milling the side of the action flat to make room for the top bolt release sear to operate up there.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    The Timney offering is pretty much the same thing as the SAV-1. That's why I only mentioned the higher end offering that can be set to the low pull weight the op is looking for.
    I love this forum, I learn something every time I come here. I wrongly assumed the Timney was better than the Savage 1.

Powderfinger61
    I got my RB down to 2.7 oz on my .223
    I don't let anyone shoot it. The rest of my Savages I have set at 8oz with the accutrigger

I'm partial to the SAV-2. Mine are set around 12-14 oz. Very nice for the money.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger61 View Post
    I got my RB down to 2.7 oz on my .223
    I don't let anyone shoot it. The rest of my Savages I have set at 8oz with the accutrigger
    How carefully do you have to handle it when cocked? Does it ever just "go off"without a bump? Or , just not catch? I have a SSS trigger, the $100 one, set at about 1 1/2 # and it slamfires if I am not real careful. I would like a <4oz trigger, but would like the adjustment so I can raise it, I understand the SSS Comp is not adjustable to 2-3 lbs.

Bill

Spin Drift
    Quote Originally Posted by 243LPR View Post
    I'm partial to the SAV-2. Mine are set around 12-14 oz. Very nice for the money.

That would be low enough for my needs. Too bad the previous owner didn't go with the sav-2 instead of the sav-1. This trigger is very nice but just not light enough.

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    SSS Comp trigger is very nice.

Neither the RB Sav-2 or SSS Comp trigger will work with bottom bolt release models b/c those have too much "crap" in the mechanism to allow those triggers to function. Hard too explain, but the bottom bolt release mechanisms get in the way.

It is possible to convert it to top bolt release, though it would require milling the side of the action flat to make room for the top bolt release sear to operate up there.
    You can convert a bottom release to a top release without having to mill anything on the action, I have two that have been coverted, just need top release lever from Savage.
    Stay away from Negative People, they have a Problem for every Solution!

Basic Member
    ^^^ really? I would do that for my two bottom release models in a heart-beat. Do you know the part #?

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    ^^^ really? I would do that for my two bottom release models in a heart-beat. Do you know the part #?
    I dont remember the number but I will look it up this evening and post it, you do have to slightly bend the release, but not much all, but it is a tough piece of material to bend! here it is installed on My Dicks Sprting Goods Model 11 VT, that is highly modified.

Stay away from Negative People, they have a Problem for every Solution!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast