Thread: New Lefty 243

AntarcticChamp

New Lefty 243

So I love my old model 110 in 243. It shoots sub MOA groups with 95 grain factory ammunition, but it has a couple of shortcomings. First it's right handed. I'm left eye dominant. So it's essentially a single shot. Second it has a less than optimal optic. A 20 plus year old Simmons 3x9x33 that fogs up bad and transmits light poorly. I just bought a 4x12x40 AO CDS Leupold to solve that problem. Now I need a rifle to match.
    Here are the restrictions on my search. Lefty! Sub MOA. $800 target price. $1000 cap. I'm fond of wood over synthetic and American made over all others, but fond is not fixated. This rifle will be a whitetail hunter in eastern Washington, South Arkansas, and West Virginia. A 200 yard target shooter and will hopefully go on one hunt each for Bighorn Sheep and Mountain Goats in Washington.
    Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Savage no longer catalogs a left handed centerfire with a wood stock. The Custom Shop might be able to turn one out for you, otherwise theres not much available from any of the manufacturers. A perfect reason to build your own!
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

AntarcticChamp
    After browsing the build forum I'm beginning to lean towards that. On the other hand I have found a lefty Tikka T3 for $750 in wood.

I'm not in your shoes, but if I were, I'd start with a LH Trophy Hunter in 6.5 Creed. Grab the Savage rebate, and then part out the rifle, keeping only the LH action. That barrel will fetch the highest price of all the LH Savage offerings, and sell quickly. The scope and stock isn't worth much, but I'd sell them anyways. I'd order a nice walnut stock from Boyd's, and a barrel from Jim at Apache in the chambering of choice. You could be into a very nice custom for $600-$700 and have the pleasure of building it yourself.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    ^^^What he said.

AntarcticChamp
    I'm leaning towards getting a 16 FLCSS. That model is 100% made in the USA, and I can get a wood or laminate stock down the road. Well that and lots of other toys. I had no idea how much aftermarket stuff there was until I found this forum.

AntarcticChamp
    Oh and I found one for 750!