Thread: need model 10 base help

Basic Member

need model 10 base help

im trying to mount weaver bases on a model 10 pred hunter .243 and the front base is too far forward for the scope eye relief to be correct. so i installed the 110 front base so it would extend to the rear as far as possible. problem is the 110 base is .055" thicker than the 10. so that makes impack bout 2 feet low @100yds. maybe a little more.
    has anyone else encountered this problem. if so what was the solution. i can install model 110millet bases and rings is the only idea i have. any ideas appreciated. thanks 1953greg

Basic Member
    Personally, I would get a Weaver Tactical Rail, and a set of Seekins Rings, an. You can adjust your scope position to easily cover your specific mounting requirements. Using different type bases, that are not cant matched, will impart additional stress to the scope tube, which you will want to avoid. The Weaver Tactical Rail is fairly cheap price wise, but great quality. The Seekins rings are the best out there, IMHO, and the only rings that I will use on my competition rig.

DK
    [B]Savage - Arken Optics - MDT - Seekins - MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/B]

Basic Member
    EGW is also a great option that won't break the bank. I'm not a Weaver fan.

Don't rule out DNZ...I bought my first DNZ and find the product to be great since you don't need to buy base and rings as it's an all in one unit.

pitsnipe
    greg,

The one piece base will allow all the eye relief movement of the scope that you need. But a red flag for me in the way you described this is that the front base sits higher than the rear (with your 110 base install) This will put stress on your scope if the bases/rings do not line up. Lets say, if you slid a piece of pipe the diameter of your scope into the rear ring would it hit .055" low on the front ring? Or slide right through? Just don't want to see another good scope die due to the rings sitting at different heights.
    Good luck.

Snipe

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pitsnipe View Post
    greg,

The one piece base will allow all the eye relief movement of the scope that you need. But a red flag for me in the way you described this is that the front base sits higher than the rear (with your 110 base install) This will put stress on your scope if the bases/rings do not line up. Lets say, if you slid a piece of pipe the diameter of your scope into the rear ring would it hit .055" low on the front ring? Or slide right through? Just don't want to see another good scope die due to the rings sitting at different heights.
    Good luck.

Snipe
    "if you slid a piece of pipe the diameter of your scope into the rear ring would it hit .055" low on the front ring?" yes
    i didnt notice the .055 dif.
    luckly no damage was done as the rings had soft tape lining!
    so i took .055 off the top if it but the way they clamp together that still wont let it lower.
    in hindsight, my boo boo is trying to use the weaver rear short action base with front long action base. i just assumed they would be the same thickness.
    so now im starting all over. just not sure what with.
    i like the rail idea
    thanks everyone for the info greg

Go with the EGW, you won't be sorry.