Thread: 600yd F-class match...

LongRange

600yd F-class match...

well I had an interesting day at the 600yd match yesterday...my first string was going ok until my 18th shot and something gave...I thought my bipod slid forward until I was trying to load it for my 19th shot and it just kept going forward...I then thought maybe it came loose or came off the swivel stud so I just shot 19 and 20 to finish my first string and when I lifted my rifle the legs stayed on the ground....anyone ever see a harris bipod do this?

~[URL=http://s1239.photobucket.com/user/LTT-/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1445739410.jpg.html][/URL

I ended up shooting my last 2 strings off my range bag and my sweat coat...ive shot off a pack 3 times and this was the third...everyone said "well this should be interesting"....so this is what I shot my last 40 rounds off of...I was just trying to stay on the target...

~[URL=http://s1239.photobucket.com/user/LTT-/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1445739399.jpg.html][/URL

and the final score....judging from my last string id better start shooting off a pack LOL...

~[URL=http://s1239.photobucket.com/user/LTT-/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1445739406.jpg.html][/URL

on a side note...I don't really care for the bergers as they were drifting high and low(note the 9-10s on my score card) so I'm not sure ill continue shooting them...I went out this morning and played with some 139g lapuas and every load from 41.9g to 43.3g all shot 1/2" or less with 42.7g 43g and 43.3 being pretty much 1 hole...I also shot some 142g smks and they shot almost as well with 2 loads that shot pretty much 1 hole...I went back out this afternoon to verify but its pretty windy...all 5 of these shot VERY well with a slight edge going to the lapuas.

BW64
    Nice shooting there!!! I had a Harris that did the same thing. Must be their weak spot. Got myself a Bald Eagle rest so no more bipod. :)

BW

LongRange
    thanks...i could of shot off one of the many rests on the line but i doubt the round fore end wouldnt sit to well in a rest...i think im going to play with a pack and see how that works out.

Berger.Fan222
    Nice recovery. We have several Harris bi-pods and we have not seen that. But most are over a decade old.

LongRange
    thanks...ive never seen one fail but i may have been leaning into i little hard for to long...its 6yrs old and im not real gentle with them...november is out last matches and then i think im going to practice shooting off a pack as well as the bipod.

Darn good shooting, field expedient or not!

LongRange
    thanks doc...i need a clean with 35+ Xs to move up in class...its very doable with a little fine tuning...i only had 160 rounds through this rifle when i shot this match.

Basic Member
    Good shooting but i assume it is not an NRA registered match as you are using a brake.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

LongRange
    it is an NRA registered match but i dont shoot for NRA scoring i just shoot for fun,trigger time and to see how my loads are working...

this was my last 1000yd match with my long action 260 shooting 142g smks....nothing special about the rifle..it started life as a 300wm shot out 2 1/2 barrels then turned into a 260...

drt4lfe
    Get a Rail mount bipod like a GG&G....

LongRange
    they look like nice bipods but i think id buy an atlas if i was going to spend that much on a bipod.

drt4lfe
    been using one for almost 5 years.....piece of rail on each rifle and switch the bipod to whatever i'm shooting.....that makes it way more affordable than buying a bipod for each gun...

LongRange
    Makes since...I only have 2 rifles and that bipod that failed was 7 years old...I tend to REALLY lean into the bipod lol.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drt4lfe View Post
    been using one for almost 5 years.....piece of rail on each rifle and switch the bipod to whatever i'm shooting.....that makes it way more affordable than buying a bipod for each gun...
    What's so hard about switching a conventional bipod from one rifle to another?

LongRange
    chris i think you miss understood...what drt is saying...and i agree...is the rail mount bipods are probably stronger and mount more solid than the swivel stud mount bipods and he switches his one bipod from gun to gun.
    if the bipod is a quick detach then its just a push of a lever and its off and on another gun before a swivel stud mount bipod could be removed from the first gun. like i said if i did go to a rail mount and spend that much id go with an atlas because they cant side to side as well and sweep 20deg or more i think and have a better selection of feet available.