Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder Scale Upgrade

Basic Member

Powder Scale Upgrade

I have been using the Lee powder scale that came with my kit, and I'm wanting to upgrade. If any of you have big hands and have ever used the Lee, you know why.
    I am eyeing the RCBS digital scale, but I keep hearing about how beams are more accurate. The digital appeals to me because it can be used to do other things like sort cases and rimfire ammo by weight. Anybody here have a nightmare with the RCBS they want to share, or a suggestion for something different? I'm all ears.

I'm looking at the RCBS digital myself. Tagged
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

My 1500 has been very accurate. The limitation is the resolution. Every time I check the RCBS digital scale against my scott parker modified ohaus it is within .05gr. if I watch what Im doing.

VALKRIDER
    I have used the RCBS Rangemaster for a number of years now and it has been quite adequate.I think it is the best bang for the buck from RCBS and don't see the need for the extra expense of the 1500 unless you plan to someday add on the auto powder dispenser and make the combo.Keep in mind that any quality digital reloading scale is very sensitive to the most miniscule of drafts and can be sensitive to overhead fluorescent lighting.I load in my basement and have any nearby vents closed and blocked off inside.I found that even this wasn't enough and have to shut off my furnace/AC when throwing charges to eliminate zero drift.Another big help is to make a 3 side air dam out of cardboard to place around your scale with a top piece for a lid.The front is still open for easy access.Lighting hasn't been an issue for me.Once I eliminated the draft issue the rangemaster has performed very well for me.

I bought the RCBS Chargemaster many years ago (7 or 8) and promptly took it apart and only use the digital scale.

I had the RCBS 505 and found the Chargemaster digital scale to be as accurate, but I didn't have to contort myself to ensure I was looking straight at the 505's readout, which means I was also faster.

I verify the accuracy of the scale with the check weights before each use and have only experienced one problem - the LED display has started to go out and can be difficult to read.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

n4ue
    I have a couple of digital scales and an older Ohaus beam scale. I also have more than a few powder throws, mostly for my Dillon 650.
    However, I bough an RCBS Chargemaster a couple of years and it's been some of the best $ I've ever spent.
    I currently reload 40 ctgs. I used the 1500 today to load several different ctgs, and it constantly amazes me. It seems (a stretch, I admit) to 'learn' , when starting a new load.
    Let me explain.... I was using some W296 powder today for some sub-sonic loads for my 300 AAC, 220 gr bullets.
    The charge is very small. The first couple of attempts, it was slightly over. No problem. However, after about 4 or 5 tries, it settled in and threw the exact charge for the next 45 rounds.
    Yes, I've tried the "McDonald's Straw Mod" and it works great, but I took it out, just to make cleaning the dispensing tube easier. It's mounted on a large aluminum plate which has leveling adjustments. It is always unplugged when not in use. Never had the slightest problem.
    I was a little bit hesitant to buy it because it ain't cheap, but, I won't use anything else, now........

FWIW
    ron

Basic Member
    Have used my 1500 for almost 10 years and it has always been right on the money, when compared to the RCBS beam. By the way, neither one is rated any more accurate than the other, by RCBS.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boudin View Post
    I am eyeing the RCBS digital scale, but I keep hearing about how beams are more accurate. The digital appeals to me because it can be used to do other things like sort cases and rimfire ammo by weight. want to share, or a suggestion for something different? I'm all ears.
    No nightmares, but you may want to take a serious look at the Gem Pro 250 with it's +/-.02gr resolution vs the RCBS's +/- .1gr. I've been using one for three years.
    http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my...empro-250.html

Beam scales? Most all popular beams are advertised as having a +/- .1 gr resolution, some are, a lot aren't. Although they may indicate a 50gr charge weight it can be as much as .1-1.5 gr high or low charge to charge.

A tuned beam in another story.

I recently tuned an old Lyman D5, same scale as the RCBS/Ohaus 502. It will register one kernel of Varget( .02gr) which is less than 1/2 the width of the sewing needle I attached for the pointer and is dead on and repeatable up to 300grs. Its off the width of the needle above 300 or roughly .05-.06 gr. I haven't figured out why and I not going to worry about it either!

If you want a truly accurate repeatable beam contact Scott Parker. He'll tune your beam or sell you one. How good is his work?
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/tag/scott-parker/

Pays your monies and takes your choice.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

D.ID
    I keep a beam scale for emergencies........literally.
    Rcbs's chargemaster or hornady's copy and don't look back, not that you would if you could. Worth every dime many times over.
    Load consistent, Very consistent....... but do not waist your life fighting what truly does not matter: the irrelevant margins of error.

Yukon21
    I've always had a beam scale, currently have a Lyman and a RCBS. I don't use them mostly for the last 10 years or so, I bought Rcbs about 10 yrs ago and when it needed servicing I had to send it back to the manufacturer in Texas where it was made Pact Industries. I had mine upgraded and they instead sent me a brand new Pact dispenser. I loved it and bought another one as I now have two. It is unfortunate that RCBS and LYMANN both have opted to go the China way and have their dispensers made there now. the Pact is less expensive and made in TEXAS. If you ever have to send it back it is lifetime warrantied. The people who answer the Customer Service are also shooters and are very helpful. I'm not saying RCBS nor Lymann are any less the dispenser, but I do like the idea of it made in USA.

LongRange
    Like Bill said if you want the best most accurate scale you can get call Scott Parker!

Basic Member
    Thanks guys. You guys have made me add to my list of possibilities. Looks like I have some reading to do. I'll post up any interesting finds and what I decide.
    Thanks again.

n4ue
    One last comment, the top benchrest shooters (which I am NOT!) throw their charges by volume and almost never weigh. Of course, those measures are VERY well made.....
    If you go to 6mmbr.com and read the many articles stating this, you might be surprised.

But what do I know, I use HBN coated bullets.... ha ha

ron

I've been using a Dillon balance beam scale for over 20 years and have no complaints with it. They also carry digital scales.

Basic Member
    If my scale says 55 gr, and another says 55.2 gr whats the difference as long as its consistant and the gun shoots good?
    Ive watched benchrest shooters load at matches without even bothering to weigh.
    Could some of this be mind over matter?

I just got a RCBS Chargemaster 1500 last week to replace my rusty old Lyman No. 55 measure and Lyman beam scale that refused to zero (warped plastic body I believe). Still wanted a beam scale to verify weights with so I snatched up a Lee Perfect Powder Scale today for $20. Can already see the 1/10th's portion of the scale will be all but useless, so I guess all my loads will have to work up to a full grain.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    I just got a RCBS Chargemaster 1500 last week to replace my rusty old Lyman No. 55 measure and Lyman beam scale that refused to zero (warped plastic body I believe). Still wanted a beam scale to verify weights with so I snatched up a Lee Perfect Powder Scale today for $20. Can already see the 1/10th's portion of the scale will be all but useless, so I guess all my loads will have to work up to a full grain.
    i guess we need to start the "GET J.Baker A NICE BEAM FOR CHRISTMAS" fund raiser LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    i guess we need to start the "GET J.Baker Some JIM BEAM FOR CHRISTMAS" fund raiser LOL!!
    Fixed it for Ya
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    Fixed it for Ya
    LMAO...its hard enough seeing the marks with out our buddy JIM there!!

tracker366
    I just ordered the RCBS Chargemaster combo. Got tired of my 505 hanging up

Basic Member
    I bought a chargemaster used in perfect condition that the seller pretuned for me. Loads quick and accurate. My match scores have continued to increase since making the switch. Plus I can load more in less time after brass prep.

Chargemaster...
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

The Dillon Eliminator is made by Ohaus, same folks who make RCBS, and other quality beam scales, but is less money. I use it.

The electronic scales can be very accurate indeed, but it is a fact that we often think they are more accurate than they are because they give you those nice digital readouts to many decimal places. But it is well-known fact that they are often subject to drift and you should calibrate them several times during a reloading session just to check.

The beams like the Dillon are unerringly accurate and do not drift. Unless they are damaged they will be every bit as accurate as the digitals. Frankly, I found my Lee scale to be unerringly accurate (I have a check weight set), but it is a PITA to use. The Dillon is a joy to use. As has been pointed out, with a properly worked up OCW load, most competitors will volume throw rifle rounds and my Lee Perfect Powder measure (with Lyman powder baffle installed) is as accurate as any other measure on the market. I've tested mine and there are numerous tests on the web in various places.

YMMV, but I, for one, don't find the expensive electronic scale and scale/powder measures worthwhile, I'd rather spend my silly money on something like a Giraud power trimmer. I'm not opposed to spending silly money on reloading, just not on electronic scales.

I am so confident in my Lee Perfect Powder Measure now, and my technique with it I only use the scale to adjust the powder measure. Then I weigh maybe 1-2 cases per 50 round loading block. That's all.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/conte...or__039__Scale

$70

I stand corrected on the price! Amazon has an RCBS 505 for $60! With free shipping! Anyway, either one will work just fine, they are both quality instruments. I keep mine covered and check the fulcrum every now and then.

http://www.amazon.com/RCBS-Model-505...5+powder+scale

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    Amen J Baker. There's nothing wrong with the accuracy of the Lee. I plan on keeping mine as a backup, but the way that thing adjusts is just ridiculous.

Can already see the 1/10th's portion of the scale will be all but useless, so I guess all my loads will have to work up to a full grain.
    Why is that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast